PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Open Contract

Visage
06-10-11, 08:15 PM
Hello Marines,

I am going through the recruitment process and I got a score of high 80's for my AFQT on the ASVAB, however, my recruiter is making me join as OPEN CONTRACT.

I'll be frank: I understand that the Marines will place you where they want and need you, however, I do want to get in MOS 0231 Intelligence Analyst.

My recruiter said that I HAVE to go OPEN CONTRACT because I can't DEP in unless I don't agree to one, I can't take the DLAB which will (God Willing) allow me to have some sort of Intelligence job.

I know my AFQT isn't the highest it could be, but i'm rather proud of it and I am hoping that it can help me get into Intelligence but I am FREAKING OUT over this OPEN CONTRACT thing. I really don't want to serve as a COOK or CHEF for four years of my life (though I feel they are just as needed) but it's not what i'm hoping for!

Has anyone got any information or something, because it's really bothering me! Thanks!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 09:22 PM
I don't think that is correct, unless there are NO slots left in your area for anything else.

We do have a few Marines on here that are just off the street as recruiters, perhaps one of them will be able to answer.

In the meanwhile you have a decision to make...do you want to be a MARINE (no matter the MOS) or do you want to be 'Intel'?

Joel73
06-10-11, 09:51 PM
The best choice is to wait till something you like opens up. If you like intel, wait for it. It'll be worth it. I got two friends that are 0231s and the job is great according to them as long as you dont mind researching for hours on a computer desk and public speaking.
It's your choice though. If you wanna go in blind, go ahead.

Visage
06-10-11, 09:57 PM
The best choice is to wait till something you like opens up. If you like intel, wait for it. It'll be worth it. I got two friends that are 0231s and the job is great according to them as long as you dont mind researching for hours on a computer desk and public speaking.
It's your choice though. If you wanna go in blind, go ahead.

I want to be a Marine no matter what, that's not really the issue, but I feel I could better serve my Country and the Marine Corps if they utilize me as a Human Resource better if I am able to get into the job I want being that I wouldn't mind being a POG/POGUE because I love computer research.

Public Speaking... ehhh no one likes Public Speaking but i'll learned to do my best if that's whats required of me!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 10:02 PM
I like public speaking...and am damn good at it. A good analyst is also a good speaker....if you can't speak or keep the audiences attention, your product could be the greatest thing in the world, but if you can't effectively 'sell' it, the product is useless.

And while you may azzume you are shivt hot (and I'm not saying your not) but it's not your call to make. Others will decide if you are...or are not.

You can, of course (and should) wait for your choice. If possible.

Visage
06-10-11, 10:06 PM
I like public speaking...and am damn good at it. A good analyst is also a good speaker....if you can't speak or keep the audiences attention, your product could be the greatest thing in the world, but if you can't effectively 'sell' it, the product is useless.

And while you may azzume you are shivt hot (and I'm not saying your not) but it's not your call to make. Others will decide if you are...or are not.

You can, of course (and should) wait for your choice. If possible.

I'm not assuming anything, but I feel I could do a better job if I can get something that aligns with my passions. Which is computers, and i'm always reading reading reading and researching! I hope that they allow me to get into that field. As for public speaking, I read somewhere that it's the #1 fear among people to do, second would be dying. Haha, so you're the exception for that! :bunny:

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 10:11 PM
It is, and sometimes it's even rated higher than death. LOL. But if you want this job, you better get good at it. Intel folks who put the bosses to sleep or worse don't do well (believe me...I've had to deal with that with my younger troops).

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 10:21 PM
I hate intel guys. They seem to think we should cuddle with the detainees who plant ieds and ambush us.

That said going open contract is stupid. That said with the way things are going your chances of getting an intel slot may never be good seeing how plenty of people are trying to enlist, even those with degrees in positions like that and an 80 is nice but if you're hoping to take the DLAB and become a linguist I'd say take it again in 6mos, the fiscal year will have ended and more slots may have opened up.

Visage
06-10-11, 10:26 PM
It is, and sometimes it's even rated higher than death. LOL. But if you want this job, you better get good at it. Intel folks who put the bosses to sleep or worse don't do well (believe me...I've had to deal with that with my younger troops).

Any tips should I be fortunate enough to gain my foot in the door for one of these Intel-jobs?

Joel73
06-10-11, 10:33 PM
I want to be a Marine no matter what, that's not really the issue, but I feel I could better serve my Country and the Marine Corps if they utilize me as a Human Resource better if I am able to get into the job I want being that I wouldn't mind being a POG/POGUE because I love computer research.

Public Speaking... ehhh no one likes Public Speaking but i'll learned to do my best if that's whats required of me!

You have an AFQT of 80. You can do almost any job you want in the Marine Corps; keep that in mind. I wouldn't lose that opportunity if I had it, and we are getting close to the beggining of the fiscal year (October) so many jobs should be opening up.

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 10:36 PM
You have an AFQT of 80. You can do almost any job you want in the Marine Corps; keep that in mind. I wouldn't lose that opportunity if I had it, and we are getting close to the beggining of the fiscal year (October) so many jobs should be opening up.

True he can but if he wants to take the DLAB and end up being a linguist which is the reason for taking it there is a lot of competition for very few slots and with the fiscal year starting in oct he'd hit 6mos where he could retake it because at least back in 03 it was damn near impossible to get a linguist spot without almost a 90.

Vandrel
06-10-11, 10:52 PM
The best choice is to wait till something you like opens up.

This

Like I tell everyone, my recruiter shoved me in Open Contract.... I had to fix it while in recruit training at Parris Island.

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 10:53 PM
^^qft

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 11:02 PM
CA...hilarious. There is a method to their madness, but having been on both sides I can see your point....and wouldn't be happy about it, either LOL.

Tips? Not really. Pay attention in school, keep your ears and eyes open, learn all you can and don't get stagnant.

Lastly....EARN the confidence of the Marines you'll be working with. Guys like CA, above. How do you do THAT? Get out there with them. Granted, my experience is of years ago, (and with the Wing and the FSSG) but I went out and turned wrenches when I was with the 'wing. So much so I got a set of 'Wrenchturner' wings (junk store in the PI stuff...but they meant more to me than a bunch of other stuff I got in the 'Corps) from one of the shops I worked with.

That way, when I got up and had to give a brief (hell do they even still DO that?) they knew me and knew I wasn't just some pogue with nonsense twaddle.

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 11:07 PM
CA...hilarious. There is a method to their madness, but having been on both sides I can see your point....and wouldn't be happy about it, either LOL.

Tips? Not really. Pay attention in school, keep your ears and eyes open, learn all you can and don't get stagnant.

Lastly....EARN the confidence of the Marines you'll be working with. Guys like CA, above. How do you do THAT? Get out there with them. Granted, my experience is of years ago, (and with the Wing and the FSSG) but I went out and turned wrenches when I was with the 'wing. So much so I got a set of 'Wrenchturner' wings (junk store in the PI stuff...but they meant more to me than a bunch of other stuff I got in the 'Corps) from one of the shops I worked with.

That way, when I got up and had to give a brief (hell do they even still DO that?) they knew me and knew I wasn't just some pogue with nonsense twaddle.

Well it wasn't just the fact that at least with the intel guys we had in our Bn and probably with all of II MEF they were the ones who always ended up getting us investigated for anything that happened and always assumed hadji was telling the truth lol. That along with the constant "intel" about searching for an HVI in an orange and white bongo truck(every vic in Iraq is orange and white) kept us walking around or standing around searching a trillion vehicles as if we had magical talents and would just know which orange and white bongo truck with a non descript hadji in it was said HVI....:devious:

We never got briefings in person, and when we did the intel was always off, however hadji always knew when we were coming.... I'm not bitter though:D

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 11:44 PM
Dood, that intel sux. And I AM Intel. Totally unsat.

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 11:54 PM
That is true it did, but when we did get specific intel it was nice.

Only briefing we got was pre-deployment about our AO and general mission.

I would suggest if you end up getting intel and are in a grunt unit to make nice with the line companies and don't try to stay in the company office all the time. Plus if you want to do counter intel having some combat experience and a broader range of experience can never hurt.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 11:59 PM
Bingo. You HAVE to get out there and be with the people you are briefing. Otherwise you are just another pogue from an air conditioned shop that pops in to check on the lower castes every so often. Seriously.

Caesar Augustus
06-11-11, 12:06 AM
The lower caste with anger problems:D

Oh and learn tact. Sometimes you will be giving intel to Marines like we got that told us about a sniper in Fallujah who had already killed 20 or 30 Marines as we were headed in and instead of simply telling us about him, his TTP and what we should do if attacked they decided to show us video of Marines who had just been where we were going getting cut down and then the ones immediately after who went to save them instead of laying down suppressing fire, using smoke etc to cover said Marine.

Say the least it did nothing but destroy moral and make us absurdly paranoid not vigilant. Common sense goes a long way. If you think it would suck to have to operate off of the intelligence you're about to give, don't give it unless there really is nothing else you can do.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-11, 12:18 AM
You got THAT right CA!

Good story that shows you EXACTLY what you shouldn't be doing. Whomever approved that brief should have been horsewhipped.

Caesar Augustus
06-11-11, 12:22 AM
Oh in our Bn it could have been a number of Marines. Oddly enough most of the intel guys were really cool, just either really bad at their jobs, lead by incompetent Marines or maybe they just never had anything to give us but crap.

Sort of like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a toosie roll pop....the world may never know.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-11, 12:33 AM
Probably, knowing what I know about the business, the latter (crap). Not because they didn't have good intel, but rather, it was information overload. Once that happens it takes someone who really knows how to 'filter' the crap to get the good stuff.

So it goes to competence as well.

Caesar Augustus
06-11-11, 12:35 AM
Yea I can imagine it wasn't an easy job especially since we had a rather large AO and at that time our line companies were always being mortard, hit with sniper fire and always finding or getting hit with IEDs so they probably were inundated with lots of garbage and stuff that they couldn't decipher fast enough.