PDA

View Full Version : 0621 Radio Operator

Tony20111024
06-08-11, 10:50 PM
Good evening Marines, I just have a short question. If I were to ask to be put in a victor unit after MOS school would I most likely get it? Also what is it like serving as a RO in a Motor T unit on deployment? Thank you.

USMC-SSGT
06-09-11, 09:07 AM
The way it worked when I was in school was that they had a list of units that needed Marines for your class that came down from the monitor. You made your wish list and then got your choice based on how you finished academically.

If it worked that way for your class and there was a unit that you desired AND you came in first in your class you could guarantee it.

dizark
06-09-11, 05:10 PM
I asked to go east coast and got Hawaii with a victor unit. Last pump to Afghanistan, one of my fellow ROs went out with the motor t guys on all convoys. He enjoyed it but said it was long hours. I was a RO on two convoys and really enjoyed it myself.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 09:04 PM
When I did school it was "East Coast, West Coast, Overseas". Once you got 'where-ever', you were then slotted to whomever needed you the most. In my case it was 2nd FSSG (doesn't exist anymore), when I checked in, I was immediately asked "When do you want to deploy?". I said as soon as possible, and was pretty much slotted within days to go to MSSG-24 (the victor unit).

Caesar Augustus
06-10-11, 09:13 PM
When we got back from Iraq in 05 I ended up taking care of all of the boots drop that were comm since I was stuck on med hold and most of them seemed to be getting sent to whatever was their second choice.

However if you're just concerned with being with an infantry unit, requesting that through whoever it is you have to, seemed to happen far more often. Sort of like how any Doc who requested to go greenside got it. Not sure if its the same but I'd figure it is. Plus you don't want to end up in 9th Crime err Comm. Never ever heard good things about them lol

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 09:23 PM
LOL. Me neither.