PDA

View Full Version : Need help convincing my dad

Cohswrestler
06-08-11, 03:29 PM
Im 17 and am going to enlist. The problem is my dad whos a marine wont sign my papers for delayed entry because i want to go infantry. i understand hes worried for me but it is my decision. i was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to try and persuade him?

Cohswrestler
06-08-11, 03:33 PM
ok thanks

Rocky C
06-08-11, 03:37 PM
Hi and welcome to the site! There must be a hundred threads just like this, go to Ask A Marine and look there, but not just the current threads, go back into the second, third, fourth pages, even 10 pages back, a LOT of stuff like this where the parents are not on the same page with their son or daughter. Very common thing.

Look at Open Discussion, too, as well as Marine Family, or whatever the exact name of that section is.

There are discussions going on right now about this kind of thing.

Marine Parent is the other one.

A moderator will move this to Ask a Marine, just wait, don't repost this over there.....anything I can help you with, PM me anytime.

I'll tell you right now what most folks will tell you.
It's your life, try talking more with your dad, he may or may not come around, but don't get into arguments. No need to. See if he will talk to a recruiter with you or by himself. Many parents who were intitially against it, end up coming to PI or SD for graduation.

Very few parents ever say, "Oh son, I'm so proud and glad that you would like to go into a WAR zone, that's what I hoped I'd hear, all my life!"

So you can understand where your Dad is coming from, I hope.
But this is your own life and you have to live it. You cannot do what others would have you do.
But look at all those threads I mentioned. There are a lot of them.

Well said Dave :thumbup:

Kegler300
06-08-11, 06:11 PM
Since you say your dad is a Marine, we as Marine parents understand his feelings. You might just have to wait until you're 18 to enlist, and regardless of your MOS choice, you're dad will be the proudest dad on the planet when you graduate boot camp!

MikeB
06-08-11, 11:32 PM
just wait until you're 18. believe me waiting a little longer won't change anything once you're in. <br />
<br />
good on you hard charger! i hope you make it

MarineDAD92
06-09-11, 07:21 PM
We ended up signing for my son at 17, but it was only 4 months shy of his 18th birthday. Our reasoning for NOT signing prior to that was simple. It was a decision that will impact the rest of his life, It was a decision the he and ONLY he could make.

We did eventually cave. We saw the dedication he had to PT, poolie functions and how his decision to join had already changed him for the better. Then one night, he approached me, sat me down, man to man and said:

" Dad, I know that this is going to sound like the wrong reason, but all of my other friends are making thier plans for college. I want to go to meps and swear in and make sure I pass the physical so I can make my plans too. I am going to do this, if I have to wait, I will. But signing now will put me in a good spot to ship in Oct when I will have a better choice of jobs"

It was more than just that conversation though, it was the dedication we saw in our son too. His swearing in at Meps was a proud day, every day since has been a mix of pride, sadness and all-out fear.

Most of us parents will end up supporting a decision like this, it just takes time for us and dedication on your part. None of us ever wants to hear what a mistake thier child has made by not thinking things through enough.

Good Luck

03Mike
06-10-11, 06:09 PM
Im 17 and am going to enlist. The problem is my dad whos a marine wont sign my papers for delayed entry because i want to go infantry. i understand hes worried for me but it is my decision. i was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to try and persuade him?

There's the problem - no it's not. It is not your decision until you turn 18. As long as you are 17, it is partially your parents' decision too.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-10-11, 06:48 PM
Moved to proper forum...and deleted until I see a completed profile LOL. ALSO, 'Marine' is capitalized. Furthermore, WORK ON YOUR GRAMMAR. It sucvks.

AND profile up.

Yes, we, like the Marine Corps, have rules. Read them. You will be held responsible for them.