PDA

View Full Version : Preparation

Simba
06-02-11, 11:03 PM
Wanna be here, enlisting in about 6-7 months. Yes, it's half a year away but i like to plan out. I'm physically fit, and i've studied everything i need to. When i enlist i plan to be infantry, preferably, assault man. I've realized the downsizing of infantry. What are the chances i will not get that mos considering it will be 6-7 months down the road, and the recent downsizing?

iamspartacus
06-03-11, 10:52 AM
First, fill out your profile. Site rules.

Second, nobody can accurately predict what the the Corps will need in 6 or 7 days, let alone 6 or 7 months.

jp2usmc
06-03-11, 11:27 AM
+1

Also, you could tell your recruiter that you are ready. Openings always come up.

Why hang around? Are you waiting for a promotion at your current job?

Simba
06-03-11, 12:02 PM
+1

Also, you could tell your recruiter that you are ready. Openings always come up.

Why hang around? Are you waiting for a promotion at your current job?

Something like that, i graduate May 2012.

Cpl Heglar
06-03-11, 12:50 PM

Well almost being a High School graduate you should know that I is proper and should always be capitalized, Correct?

Simba
06-03-11, 12:53 PM
Well almost being a High School graduate you should know that I is proper and should always be capitalized, Correct?
Excuse me for my grammatical errors, I type fast. Back to the subject, would it be too early for me to contact a recruiter?

Cpl Heglar
06-03-11, 12:58 PM
View:

http://www.marines.com/rmi

I am sure it is not to soon to go into a Deps program. May you one day be one of the few the proud...

S/F

Cpl. Heglar

jp2usmc
06-03-11, 01:22 PM

OH! When I read "enlisting in 6-7 months", I thought that was your boot camp date and that you were going to be there about the time of my nephew.

It's never too early to get on their mailing and calling lists. Just visit them when they are at your school and fill out the forms. That's all it takes!

iamspartacus
06-03-11, 01:38 PM
would it be too early for me to contact a recruiter?

Thanks for filling out your profile.

You're 18 now, so no. It's not too soon to get in touch with your recruiter. It's never bad to get started early when you're dealing with the Marine Corps. There's a lot of paper work you'll have to fill out, and all that paper work has to be signed off on, and then you'll have to go to MEPs, take the ASVAB etc. Then you may run into some bumps in the road that may take time to iron out. Plus, from what it sounds like, 6-7 months is not uncommon for poolees these days to be in the DEP. And remember, all the while you'll be PT'ing with your recruiter, learning about the Corps at poolee functions and just getting ready for boot camp. I say pick up the phone and get going!

Rocky C
06-03-11, 03:54 PM
Thanks for filling out your profile.

You're 18 now, so no. It's not too soon to get in touch with your recruiter. It's never bad to get started early when you're dealing with the Marine Corps. There's a lot of paper work you'll have to fill out, and all that paper work has to be signed off on, and then you'll have to go to MEPs, take the ASVAB etc. Then you may run into some bumps in the road that may take time to iron out. Plus, from what it sounds like, 6-7 months is not uncommon for poolees these days to be in the DEP. And remember, all the while you'll be PT'ing with your recruiter, learning about the Corps at poolee functions and just getting ready for boot camp. I say pick up the phone and get going!

Great advice :thumbup:.

Tookie22
06-03-11, 04:05 PM
You can be in the DEP for 1 full year. As an 18 yr old, on track to , with the limit; the laison may also be able to get you a really good ship date (soon after graduating) instead of sitting around after high school for 6-10 months like some poolees. The sooner the better. They will help you pt provide more knowledge and be there to mentor you. Best of luck

Simba
06-03-11, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-06-11, 05:08 PM
Thanks for completing the profile. Asked, answered, closed.