PDA

View Full Version : contracts and jobs

Tyber33
06-01-11, 05:49 PM
ok so this is what i've been told so try and correct me where i'm wrong. In the Marine Corp you are not guaranteed jobs only fields (unless you go reserve) and in your contracts you have ones like CE-combat support. which tell you out of these fields,(1800, 0800, and 7200) you will be guaranteed one of these then when you go to meps before you ship, you get a job from that field. what i want to know is not only is that true but is there anyway you can still go active AND get the job you want? also if you were to get 1833 but fail to achieve a CWS 2 in boot camp would you be reassigned to 1812 or would they stick you in another field?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-01-11, 11:19 PM
1: Style point, it's 'Corps'.

2: Have you spoken with a recruiter? If not, do so.

3: Generally, you get the field, yes. If you fail to qualify for some reason, it's totally up to the Corps where they assign you.

Tyber33
06-02-11, 02:19 PM
thank you for the correction.
yes i have this is what i was told.
and once again thank you. But my other question remains unanswered, is there a way to go active AND still get the job you want.

SSgt Lamie
06-02-11, 04:04 PM
You are simply guaranteed to get an MOS within one of the MOS fields that are included in the SOU (statement of understanding) that you sign with your Recruiter when a program is assigned to you. From that program the Marine Corps will grant you a specific MOS based on your ASVAB scores and the needs of the Marine Corps at the time you leave for Recruit Training.

You will not find out the specific job that you do until you complete Recruit Training. The only way to go Active duty and know the specific job that you are going to do beforehand is to join the band. So if you want to know what job you will be doing before you leave, I would suggest that you pick up a trumpet and learn how to play it.

Joel73
06-02-11, 05:23 PM
Check out this link:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/f/faqmarinejob.htm

According to about.com, very few people get a guaranteed job, but it is possible. These are mostly applicants with college degrees or with very high ASVAB scores.

If I find anything else I'll post it on here for you.

Marine84
06-02-11, 05:59 PM
also if you were to get 1833 but fail to achieve a CWS 2 in boot camp would you be reassigned to 1812 or would they stick you in another field?

You'll get thrown in a cornfield , maybe but, not another field in the Corps. If you fail ANY part of boot camp, you might be recycled (or not), that's it. There are no "do overs". If you get recycled, they make you do whatever you failed at until you're so good at it you'll pass and therefore make it to the next step of being a Marine.

I'm assuming you're asking about swimming? If so, learn before you go or not - they'll teach you how - LOL!

Tyber33
06-04-11, 10:57 AM
Joel73 thank you for the help so far and whatever else you can find will help alot.
sadly i know that my asvab score's wont be high enough, i took the EST at the recruiting station a month or 2 ago and got the AFQT score as like a 66 so i doubt that it will be high enough

Marine84 i know about the whole getting recycled thing but, I'm a article from marinecorpstimes.com and it said that theres a new swim program and theirs only 3 swim levels in it instead of 6 do you know if they will change the requirements for 1883 (its the job i want) from what it is CWS 2 to a 1 or what?