PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help Looking At Different Jobs.

vlh247
05-31-11, 11:00 AM
Ok So i got my mos for construction but the more ive been Thinking about it i love driving the equipment but because of my hight being 2 inches shorter the required and the simple fact of being a girl. its going to be really hard maybe even impossable to get to where i want for my job..so i wanted to look at other jobs..no desk jobs or anything, something im going to enjoy doing.. PLEASE HELP!!

Lisa 23
05-31-11, 11:32 AM
How about filling out a bit more of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to........site rules, and they can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Lisa 23
05-31-11, 11:50 AM
No problem Dave! :thumbup:

vlh247
05-31-11, 11:53 AM
oh sorry! i just started this account today!

USNAviator
05-31-11, 12:05 PM
Your best bet is a list of MOSs. I know someone here has that, let me check

Here you go Dave. Always willing to help out Marines in need

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

USNAviator
05-31-11, 12:09 PM
How did you get that MOS without meeting the height requirements? Just curious.

Take a look at the link Dan just posted for you, I think it lists all MOSs

Of course it does, the Navy would never post faulty intel Dave. I think the only do that in the Air Force but I can't be certain

USNAviator
05-31-11, 12:17 PM
Dave if I were looking to go in now and couldn't fly I'd look at 7257 Air Traffic controller. You'd be trained by the military, have a few years of experience and if you wanted to get out, you'd have a pretty good chance in the civilian world with that skill set

USNAviator
05-31-11, 12:28 PM
Better than my MOS, which could only have been used at NSA.

That was the best job I ever had, but there was no place in the civilian world to use it except at NSA

Or Western Union out around Ft Laramie and Dodge City. Who broke the news that Custer had been killed?

USNAviator
05-31-11, 04:41 PM
I got there a few months after that, Dan

Actually Dave these young people are fortunate they can at least get a field they want under contract. While they might not get their job at least they will be the field. But I guess by offering such inducements plus bonuses is one way the military can keep the ranks full. Of course a bad economy helps as well.

Another MOS that would have interested me was meteorology.

USNAviator
05-31-11, 04:49 PM
They are very fortunate to at least have it narrowed down to the field they want--absolutely true.

I can't think of a single MOS I would rather have had than my own. Never heard of it before I went in, but I have never had a job I enjoyed more, before or afterwards.

I remember walking in the recruiters office in South Station. The Gunny took one look at me said I should go talk to the Captain. I had no clue what I was doing. We never talked about an MOS, I only told him I wanted to fly. That was it. His name was Capt. McClellan. I often wonder what happened to him

USNAviator
05-31-11, 04:55 PM
Was that across from the big train station itself, not the subway only but Amtrak?
The recruiting stations used to be across the street on Summer Street.
That's where I joined.

I don't believe this, that's exactly where it was. The front was where the Gunny was located and in the rear was the Captain. I don't believe this, you and I went to the same place......WOW

USNAviator
05-31-11, 05:02 PM
The big Federal Reserve Bank was there, too, right?

Yes I think they made that into a hotel. The upscale restaurant in the hotel is the Julian Room

Dave I was there late '76 early '77 because it I remember it was winter. I went to PLC, the long course the summer of '77. Believe me when I tell you they weren't breaking the doors down to get into the Corps so soon after Nam.

USNAviator
05-31-11, 05:05 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2943&pictureid=14846

Our apologies to the original poster, we get carried away on nearly every thread.

So true and I apologize as well.

USNAviator
05-31-11, 05:12 PM
LOL..we are professional hijackers, but my comfort is, I am in good company, with the famous Naval Aviator as my partner

The old Fed Reserve bank was located on the corner of Milk and Pearl, so we are talking about another hotel. It's now called the Langham

That's WORLD famous BTW.....LOL

USNAviator
05-31-11, 05:43 PM
Victoria I apologize again for being a co- conspirator with Dave, If either of us can give you some advice please don't hesitate to ask

USNAviator
05-31-11, 05:57 PM
Victoria, I just posted this in another thread. These are high in demand jobs in the Corps

4. Targeted re-enlistment recruiting. Career planners and commanders will be advised to search for Marines who could potentially serve in highly technical, in-demand career fields such as cyber, intelligence and explosive ordnance disposal, and encourage them to make lateral moves while re-enlisting. Doing so will strengthen the Corps as a whole and allow some of the service’s brightest Marines to advance more quickly in fields with faster career progression and bigger bonuses, Manpower officials said.