PDA

View Full Version : Prior Navy getting out and joining MARINE CORPS needs info.

crossfit23
05-29-11, 08:30 PM
I am currently active duty Navy E-4 deployed in Afgahanistan. I am seperating from the Navy on 21FEB12, I have a gt score of 111 and will have a re-code 1 when I get out. All I have ever wanted to do in my life is be a MARINE I am willing to dedicate my life for the MARINE CORPS. I know I will have to do bootcamp again and will lose my paygrade but thats all fine with me. My question is will it be hard for me to get back in with the downsizing? I have a recommendation from a MARINE MASTER SERGEANT AND A MARINE CAPTAIN. I just want a combat arms mos like any 03 or possibly 08 field. Any information would help I have been talking to recruiters and they said as long as the MARINE CORPS is accepting brand new recruits they will take prior service other service due to the fact we count as NEW recruits and help meet the quotoas but I am still a little nervous that they might tell me no I cant join come this FEB12. All I want is to be a MARINE and be it for the rest of my life. Any information would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-30-11, 01:11 AM
Shouldn't be an issue. Of all the services, the Marine Corps is the most welcoming of prior service. Yes, you'll start over, in a sense. But take heart, within a year or so, likely as not, you'll be a Corporal.

Still, I would make sure that you can re-up into the navy if the Marine Corps tells you 'no'.

crossfit23
05-30-11, 02:16 PM
Thank you for some information SGT. Only problem with re uping in the Navy is I dropped a early out chit to get out a year in a half early so that I can enlist into the MARINE CORPS. I have thought about it they tell me no than I will just go to college and keep trying to enlist every month until they take me. Because all I want in my life is to be a MARINE.

USNAviator
05-30-11, 05:54 PM
Mind if I ask if you tried to get into the Corps prior to enlisting in the Navy?

crossfit23
05-30-11, 06:11 PM
Yes SIR I had worked with MARINE recruiters prior to me enlisting into the navy and told them that I was going to enlist into the navy first to carry on my grandfathers tradition and that I would than enlist into the MARINES afterwards and they said it would be no problem i would just need to go through the boot camp again.

USNAviator
05-30-11, 06:21 PM
Yes SIR I had worked with MARINE recruiters prior to me enlisting into the navy and told them that I was going to enlist into the navy first to carry on my grandfathers tradition and that I would than enlist into the MARINES afterwards and they said it would be no problem i would just need to go through the boot camp again.

I applaud your honoring your grandfathers service. Good luck to you. Don't take any crap about you being a Squid.........:D