PDA

View Full Version : WWII Records

Gunstream
05-26-11, 12:41 PM
Hello Marines,

I'm trying to find out if there are any databases/information sources regarding my grandfather. He served the Corps briefly during WWII. He breached Tarawa and Saipan, where he was wounded.

Unfortunately, he passed in 2007. He never liked talking about the war, and I never was one to pry. I was just curious if there is any way to find some basic information about his service. What infantry division did he serve with? What was his Plt. number at MCRD? Which Naval vessels did he move with?

This is strictly for personal interest, but if anybody knows of any way to find said information, it would be appreciated more than can be expressed.

SSgt Lamie
05-26-11, 12:45 PM
Contact the VA. If you are the next of kin sometimes they can pull and release records on individuals. I know some people who have done it in the past to put together a gift with all of their realitives awards for them.

USNAviator
05-26-11, 12:54 PM
Hello Marines,

I'm trying to find out if there are any databases/information sources regarding my grandfather. He served the Corps briefly during WWII. He breached Tarawa and Saipan, where he was wounded.

Unfortunately, he passed in 2007. He never liked talking about the war, and I never was one to pry. I was just curious if there is any way to find some basic information about his service. What infantry division did he serve with? What was his Plt. number at MCRD? Which Naval vessels did he move with?

This is strictly for personal interest, but if anybody knows of any way to find said information, it would be appreciated more than can be expressed.

If you have a copy of his DD-214 then all that info will be contained in that document. If not, you can order a copy here

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Good idea to have a copy of his SS#

Zulu 36
05-26-11, 01:36 PM
Hello Marines,

Go to the site USNAviator linked. You can request his full military records. You will need a copy of his death certificate and if your grandmother is still alive, she will need to sign the request.

The on-line request form tells you what information they need.

If your grandfather was at Tarawa he was probably in the 2d Marine Division. The 2d also landed at Saipan, so he could still have been assigned there. My father was in the 2d Marine Division at Saipan and Tinian.

His record may not indicate what ships he sailed on if they were just troop transports, but once you know his exact unit (battalion and regiment), that information can be tracked down through other records.

Gunstream
05-26-11, 09:57 PM
Thank you sir, and Marines for the prompt responses! I'll be visiting with my grandmother in late June, and will ask her for authorization. I doubt she'll mind my interest in my grandfather's service.

Since you gentleman were so quick to respond, maybe I'll ask another question. What type of information will be available in his records? Will medical records be included? PFT and Rifle Qualifying scores? How about documentation regarding his Purple Heart or other service medals?

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

Zulu 36
05-26-11, 10:12 PM
Thank you sir, and Marines for the prompt responses! I'll be visiting with my grandmother in late June, and will ask her for authorization. I doubt she'll mind my interest in my grandfather's service.

Since you gentleman were so quick to respond, maybe I'll ask another question. What type of information will be available in his records? Will medical records be included? PFT and Rifle Qualifying scores? How about documentation regarding his Purple Heart or other service medals?

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

You'll basically get his full Service Record Book that will show his awards, medals, rifle scores, and anything else they kept track of back then. You have to separately request the medical records.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-28-11, 12:02 AM
Yep. And, sometimes, the complete medical record WILL be included, it totally depends. The good news is, most Marine records were not harmed in the fire there in the 1970's. You will likely even get a photo.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Also...if you determine his unit, you can often find veteran websites with unit information, combat histories, etc. He might even be mentioned. Worth a shot as well.

Plan on waiting some months for the records but they are well worth it.