PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question - White Cover/Cap?

Visage
05-24-11, 05:13 AM
I've been watching some Marine Graduation videos on YouTube and i've noticed that graduation videos show the newly minted Marines wearing either the white dress cap, the olive colored one, or the one that's shaped like the paper hat you can make by using origami that looks like a 'boat'. I don't know the real name for it, but why is it they differ?

hillbillyjar
05-24-11, 07:13 AM
You pretty much nailed it Dave. But when I was in, we called the p*ss cutter, a c*nt cap.

m14ed
05-24-11, 09:23 AM
Barracks Covers and Garrison Covers are the official names for the two styles of covers.

There are NO Garrison covers that may be worn with the Marine Corps Dress Blue Uniform.*(not counting recruiting duties )(ask a recruiter )

Barracks Covers WERE : white, green ,or tropical .
( I think the tropical uniform has been dis -continued now)

Garrison Covers WERE : green , tropical, and Kaki.

Barracks Covers have a/are/ WIRE Framed.

Garrison Covers can be folded, rolled, spindled and
carried nine million ways and places.
call it a (*unt cap), or a (pi$$ cutter) if you will.

Further definitions and discriptions:
Enlist and find out for yourself

Old Marine
05-24-11, 09:37 AM
Barracks covers are a headache. Garrison covers are very comfortable. Utility covers are very comfortable.

Visage
05-24-11, 11:02 AM
Good info so far. Still, are there different stages or phases of the Graduation for Marines? Are these the differences between graduating Officers/NCO's/Enlisted?

http://i.imgur.com/bTdaC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CA4S7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b4XsF.jpg

Lisa 23
05-24-11, 12:52 PM
All 3 photos are from recruits graduating......and according to my brother, who was a Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego, the order comes down from the BN CO on what uniforms recruits wear for graduation.

Old Marine
05-24-11, 04:04 PM
I fondly remember the unofficial name of the Garrison Cover as c*** cap, then it became pizz cutter. Both names were accepted by most Marines.

Zulu 36
05-24-11, 08:55 PM
Barracks Covers and Garrison Covers are the official names for the two styles of covers.

There are NO Garrison covers that may be worn with the Marine Corps Dress Blue Uniform.*(not counting recruiting duties )(ask a recruiter )

Barracks Covers WERE : white, green ,or tropical .
( I think the tropical uniform has been dis -continued now)

Garrison Covers WERE : green , tropical, and Kaki.

Barracks Covers have a/are/ WIRE Framed.

Garrison Covers can be folded, rolled, spindled and
carried nine million ways and places.
call it a (*unt cap), or a (pi$$ cutter) if you will.

Trops went away sometime 1973ish. So did the khaki. I was happy as Trops got dirty the minute you took the dry cleaners plastic off. I was a very early adopter of the lightweight greens.

SGT7477
05-24-11, 09:42 PM
I fondly remember the unofficial name of the Garrison Cover as c*** cap, then it became pizz cutter. Both names were accepted by most Marines.
I remember both names well, Semper Fidelis.:D

YLDNDN6
05-24-11, 10:31 PM
Is it possible that in the 2nd photo, the Marine in the white barracks cover is the platoon honor grad??? (that being the reason for the different cover???)