PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Brian810
05-20-11, 11:31 AM
New to the forum, but I made sure to fill out all of my profile information before I began posting.

But I have a question. I recently DEP'd in to the Marines 2 days ago and found out my ship date 20111128, the job I am interested in is Artillery. But from my own independent research, I found out that Artillery isn't really practical anymore due to friendly fire and hitting civilians. But it also said that they use the Artillery guys as basic Infantry Units to go do what the Infantry guys do, I was wondering if this was true. If it is I would rather just go Infantry if they are going to use me as Infantry and get more training with them.

Thanks

03Mike
05-20-11, 11:37 AM
Brian - unless your crystal ball is better than mine, I can't see the role of artillery going away. If you go to MCRD in late November, you'll probably looking at your first deployment sometime in 2013 - it may or may not be to Afghanistan. It could just as easily be to some place that isn't even in the headlines yet.

I'll wait for an artillery Marine to chime in, but my advice would be to not place too much stock in the future employment of Marine units based upon the current situation in Afghanistan.

Brian810
05-20-11, 11:40 AM
Brian - unless your crystal ball is better than mine, I can't see the role of artillery going away. If you go to MCRD in late November, you'll probably looking at your first deployment sometime in 2013 - it may or may not be to Afghanistan. It could just as easily be to some place that isn't even in the headlines yet.

I'll wait for an artillery Marine to chime in, but my advice would be to not place too much stock in the future employment of Marine units based upon the current situation in Afghanistan.

Thank you sir, I was actually expecting to be deployed a lot sooner than 2013, but that really isn't a problem. Again thanks for the quick answer.

Lisa 23
05-20-11, 12:10 PM
Thank you sir, I was actually expecting to be deployed a lot sooner than 2013, but that really isn't a problem. Again thanks for the quick answer.

How much sooner did you expect to be deployed?
Your ship date for boot camp is 28 Nov, 2011....there's 3 months there and that puts you into late February beginning of March 2012; then there's MCT/SOI, which I believe is about 6 weeks, someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong; then there's your MOS school......which might be another 2-3 months.

Patience, young man....patience.

Brian810
05-20-11, 12:20 PM
How much sooner did you expect to be deployed?
Your ship date for boot camp is 28 Nov, 2011....there's 3 months there and that puts you into late February beginning of March 2012; then there's MCT/SOI, which I believe is about 6 weeks, someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong; then there's your MOS school......which might be another 2-3 months.

Patience, young man....patience.

Ah well I didn't know I had to go to MCT/SOI School and then go to my MOS school. I was just misinformed, I always thought they just ship you out right after MOS school, again it isn't a problem, and it's not like I am itching to go, that's just was I thought.

Thanks for the answer!

SGT7477
05-20-11, 01:15 PM
New to the forum, but I made sure to fill out all of my profile information before I began posting.

But I have a question. I recently DEP'd in to the Marines 2 days ago and found out my ship date 20111128, the job I am interested in is Artillery. But from my own independent research, I found out that Artillery isn't really practical anymore due to friendly fire and hitting civilians. But it also said that they use the Artillery guys as basic Infantry Units to go do what the Infantry guys do, I was wondering if this was true. If it is I would rather just go Infantry if they are going to use me as Infantry and get more training with them.

Thanks
I was an 0811 in my time many years ago, I would think arty would always be there to kick azz, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

Brian810
05-20-11, 03:42 PM
Oh, for the old days, when we did not complain about our MOSs before we had an MOS. :)
And they issued them like clothing and 782 gear, no one had any choice in the matter, it was based on classification tests in boot camp, and the needs of the Corps. All except "Aviation Guaranteed"

In those days we enlisted to become Marines.

Now, it is like shopping at Walmart, take a cart, wheel it around, throw in whatever MOS you want.

Go to Customer Service to return it and select one more suitable.

You would have to be over 60 to fully appreciate how it used to be. As Sgt Lep would say, but in another context, ***sigh***

Ah sorry, just want to understand the job I will be doing for the next 4 years.

Didn't mean to come off as a complainer.

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 05:08 PM
Oh, for the old days, when we did not complain about our MOSs before we had an MOS. :)

When I joined at (17) it never occurred to me that I would be anything OTHER than a grunt.
I never thought about any MOS request because I didn't know Marines did anything but the GRUNT job.
I ended up 0811 in 4.2 mortars (mainly M30 version) so we did get to chop on our Ops with the grunts....I was honored.
It certainly is different now.

Carry on....

USNAviator
05-20-11, 05:27 PM
chulaivet1966----I joined at 17 too.....actually helped, I think, as far as going thru boot camp, we were young enough to fly over those obstacle courses and we questioned things a lot less than an older person would have.

Brian, that was funny, the absence of the new techological goodies back then. Yes, the absence of them was not too keenly felt back then. LOL.....

Just sent you your first friendship request, you joined today, it's about time you had one friend added right away, with the great attitude you have!...

Watch out Brian, Dave use to be an Air Force JAG. That friendship request will probably come with an electronic version of his business card

Brian you stated that from your own research you found that artillery isn't practical anymore. Care to share what you found?

Brian810
05-20-11, 05:41 PM
Watch out Brian, Dave use to be an Air Force JAG. That friendship request will probably come with an electronic version of his business card

Brian you stated that from your own research you found that artillery isn't practical anymore. Care to share what you found?

Most certainly, once I find that information of course. :D

I'll go look for the link, I should have cited my source... I got lazy -.-, be right back with that link

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 05:42 PM
that artillery isn't practical anymore. Care to share what you found?

I'm going to take my Heineken to a dark corner and cry.
It's a good thing The End Event is near so I won't have to sulk long.

Carry on....

USNAviator
05-20-11, 05:44 PM

Carry on....

I was going to buy some green banana's but I said why bother. Have one for me Marine!

Rocky C
05-20-11, 05:45 PM
I was going to buy some green banana's but I said why bother. Have one for me Marine!

HAHAHAHAHA That was Great :banana:

Brian810
05-20-11, 05:47 PM

Okay I just found this and this is where I got some of my information, but this isn't where I read about Artillery not really being used.

"
6/7 Artillery gets tasked to do all different kinds of things. You might go on patrols or you might not. If you're just doing a normal field op you usually won't. While I was in Iraq, artillery was doing some patrols. The situation will dictate. The only thing I feel artillery has in common with grunts is the large amount of time spent in the field or deployed. Yes, we go on patrols occasionally....but trust me, artillery isn't nearly as effective at patrolling as a platoon of grunts."

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101276

Brian810
05-20-11, 05:49 PM

Carry on....

Ah, damn, didn't mean to sound like a complete idiot, but it's just what I found on my own independent research and is why I asked here :D

And of course, the world ends tomorrow, why am I even here? Ruh Roh!

chulaivet1966
05-20-11, 05:59 PM
Ah, damn, didn't mean to sound like a complete idiot, but it's just what I found on my own independent research and is why I asked here :D

Ha....I'm a kidder.
Besides, I don't think I have enough beer left to put me in a crying jag.
Me...I'm just here to share beers with USNAviator and likely others here before World Termination.

In all seriousness...ahem...I think most combat will evolve to the point where human beings are much less in harms way like drones and the like.
But, I've been wrong in the past.

Gulp...gulp...burp.

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:01 PM
Ha....I'm a kidder.
Besides, I don't think I have enough beer left to put me in a crying jag.
Me...I'm just here to share beers with USNAviator and likely others here before World Termination.

In all seriousness...ahem...I think most combat will evolve to the point where human beings are much less in harms way like drones and the like.
But, I've been wrong in the past.

Gulp...gulp...burp.

Soon I will have my own personal Iron Man soon.

USNAviator
05-20-11, 06:08 PM
Why can't every person with a question in this Ask A Marine section be this polite and pleasant?

It is a rarity Dave. Maybe it's because the world is going to end tomorrow everyone is being nice

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:09 PM
Soon I will have my own personal Iron Man soon.

Could not figure out how to edit my original post sorry but I made a error it should say "Iron Man Suit) obviously :D

And @Dave, are you referring to me? I thought I was being very polite and pleasant, definitely not trying to be a jerk around here.

USNAviator
05-20-11, 06:10 PM

No worries Brian. I was just curious. From men I've talked to including my Dad there is nothing more traumatizing than being on the receiving end of an artillery barrage

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:12 PM
I was saying, in essence, why can't everyone be polite and pleasant LIKE Brian810.

Sorry I am awful at getting what someone is saying in text.

And thanks, I am trying to be very pleasant and polite, it's who I am :D

USNAviator
05-20-11, 06:13 PM
I hear you, Commander. LOL

Brian, I have to ask you a personal question. You are not even remotely contemplating getting an Illuminati tattoo, are you?

Damn Dave I nearly pulled a Lep Nose Spray.........:D

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:16 PM
No worries Brian. I was just curious. From men I've talked to including my Dad there is nothing more traumatizing than being on the receiving end of an artillery barrage

I guess the real bad thing is from time to time you can't really see what you did with your Artillery barrage. Too far away :D

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:17 PM
I hear you, Commander. LOL

Brian, I have to ask you a personal question. You are not even remotely contemplating getting an Illuminati tattoo, are you?

Hmm I guess my reply to this never showed up... Bloody hell.

But anyway, no.

I don't have any Tattoos or Piercing and never will. It's just not me

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:18 PM
re the tattoo----I'll tell you one thing, Commander, if he HAS one, I am outta here.

What a guy can't think that one particular group is in control of every single thing that we do?

You know I watch Conspiracy Theories with Jessy Ventura! Good show! Lol

USNAviator
05-20-11, 06:22 PM
Hmm I guess my reply to this never showed up... Bloody hell.

But anyway, no.

I don't have any Tattoos or Piercing and never will. It's just not me

Dave this seems like a young man who is squared away. Can I convince you to give up your idea to join the Corps and GO NAVY and become a fearless, peerless, well respected man about town,adored by women, admired by men and become a Naval Aviator?

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:25 PM
Dave this seems like a young man who is squared away. Can I convince you to give up your idea to join the Corps and GO NAVY and become a fearless, peerless, well respected man about town,adored by women, admired by men and become a Naval Aviator?

Sir, in all do respect, no.. I want to be a Marine!

And thanks, I like to think I have a good head on my shoulders, High School graduate, no police involvement, no drugs, nothing.

Just want to get my life started the right way with the Marines!

USNAviator
05-20-11, 06:41 PM
Sir, in all do respect, no.. I want to be a Marine!

And thanks, I like to think I have a good head on my shoulders, High School graduate, no police involvement, no drugs, nothing.

Just want to get my life started the right way with the Marines!

Brian you'll go far, you have a great attitude. Someone raised you correctly..:thumbup:

Dave as newly minted Chief of Derailments by none of than the Grand High Sultan himself, Sgt Lep, my job is done here. Off to derail something else....up,up and away!!!!!!

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:46 PM
Yes, Dan, every single thread we post on---we end up derailing. Our apologies.....

I did it a lot on other forums, turns into a habbit :D

Again guys thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. I do hope to go far in the Marines Aviator, once I do 2 years in my specific MOS I hope to go to OCS and be an officer.

Brian810
05-20-11, 06:51 PM
You'll do very well, as Dan said. Attitude is everything. Take care and PM us whenever you feel like it, as well as starting threads, but do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT even think about getting an Illuminati Tattoo. LOL

Jessie Ventura almost convinced me!

That damn Conspiracy Theories Show!

But don't worry sir, never and I repeat, never will I get an idiotic tattoo such as that, let alone a tattoo in general :D

I keep saying thanks and I do mean it, thanks again guys for helping me out and de-railing my thread, which was worth de-railing for the sake of conversation :D

Brian810
05-20-11, 07:09 PM
We enjoyed it too, Brian---take care....

Have a good night all!

Will most certainly be returning, very informative fellows on this forum.

GunRock0811
05-21-11, 12:33 AM
Brian, you pulled your quote about artillery from one of my old posts. I didn't mean to make it sound like its not used anymore. Just because I wasn't shooting arty doesn't mean other 0811's weren't. While we were doing foot patrols my second deployment, we had a different artillery unit on our c.o.p. shooting the big guns.

Its all going to come down to luck of the draw. Even if you don't get to shoot arty in combat, you'll do plenty of filed ops and shoot literally hundreds of rounds. The Marine Corps might not be using it as much in combat, but they make damn sure that artillery Marines stay proficient in their original mos.

I hope this helps a little bit. If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Brian810
05-21-11, 09:36 AM
Brian, you pulled your quote about artillery from one of my old posts. I didn't mean to make it sound like its not used anymore. Just because I wasn't shooting arty doesn't mean other 0811's weren't. While we were doing foot patrols my second deployment, we had a different artillery unit on our c.o.p. shooting the big guns.

Its all going to come down to luck of the draw. Even if you don't get to shoot arty in combat, you'll do plenty of filed ops and shoot literally hundreds of rounds. The Marine Corps might not be using it as much in combat, but they make damn sure that artillery Marines stay proficient in their original mos.

I hope this helps a little bit. If you have anymore questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Any response definitely helps, thanks for your answer.

And your quote wasn't based on my whole reasoning. I just pulled that quote off so I could provide somewhat of a source for Aviator. But I think that is where I found out they use Arty for Infantry tasks.

Where I found out that they don't use Artillery anymore is on another forum and I couldn't find the link..

Again thanks for the answer it definitely helps, and I am quite relieved :D

Ah last question though, did you enjoy your MOS?

GunRock0811
05-22-11, 12:27 AM
Yes, I definetly enjoyed my MOS. It had its ups and downs like everything else, but I would definitely do it over again. There's not too many things in this world like pulling the lanyard on a howitzer and sending hot steel miles down range.

SGT7477
05-22-11, 08:39 AM
Yes, I definetly enjoyed my MOS. It had its ups and downs like everything else, but I would definitely do it over again. There's not too many things in this world like pulling the lanyard on a howitzer and sending hot steel miles down range.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:, Semper Fidelis.

YLDNDN6
05-22-11, 10:27 AM
I wasn't Arty, but I did, up until a couple years ago, make parts for the M777. You're gonna love this thing! Quick! Someone post a thread to the M777...I don't know how!!!