PDA

View Full Version : Nfo

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 04:28 PM
Good afternoon Marines

Here's my story:

I have always wanted to be a Naval Aviator, F/A 18 to be specific and I know a lot of people come on here and say they've always wanted to be a pilot and what not but I really have, only problem is that I can never become one because I have 20/200 vision, so my dreams fell apart when I found out about this. I only have about 20 credit hours under my belt and going to college for me is not an option right now (dont have $$ and I need to work to help my parents out). I'm 21 and I decided I'd enlist and try to work my way into the MECEP program. I should also mention that I am not a U.S citizen, but I have heard that as soon as I graduate bootcamp I can put in an application and the process is very quick for servicemen. So I figured the time it takes me to rank up to Corporal I will have already gotten my citizenship so I can apply for MECEP. Anyways the point of this thread is, I heard about NFO's, which is the next closest thing to being a pilot. I heard there are no sight restrictions as there is with being a pilot. I would love to be the guy behind the pilot in a F/A 18 or even a Prowler handling the weapon systems or anything that gets me involved. Now I know this job is still as competitve and hard to get but I was wondering if anyone here is an NFO or was an NFO. I have already tried doing a search and it's not working and I come up with nothing on this site. I know I should be worried about graduating, but it doesnt kill to inform myself on something I might possible be interested in. Hopefully this all makes sense

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 04:55 PM
another thing that has me alittle worried is the citizenship issue. Obviously I think all officers require some sort of clearance and I have heard that even if I become a citizen and give up my citizenship from Guatemala I probably still wouldnt get a clearance because I was born in another country and therefore I have family and "connections" in other countries, so hopefully I can get some input as well from maybe people who were born in another country and have gotten their citizenship and have been given a top secret or security clearance

Sgt Leprechaun
05-19-11, 05:23 PM
PM "USNAviator". He'll be able to provide some assistance.

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 05:27 PM
PM "USNAviator". He'll be able to provide some assistance.

I did yesterday, hopefully he received it. I'll give him some time to respond, because I'm sure he has a life outside of this forum lol

Sgt Leprechaun
05-19-11, 05:34 PM
Good deal. He'll respond back. LOL Some of us do live here...

USNAviator
05-19-11, 05:38 PM
I did yesterday, hopefully he received it. I'll give him some time to respond, because I'm sure he has a life outside of this forum lol

I did get it but unfortunately I deleted it with all the junk mail I get from Dave.

Give me a minute to look over your questions

USNAviator
05-19-11, 05:45 PM
OK here's the skinny

The Navy and the Marine Corps use the same standards (The Marines do not have their own medical department. They use the Navy for all medical procedures and standards). Navy Pilots must pass a Class I Flying Physical (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm).

To become a pilot in the Navy or Marine Corps, an applicant's uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. Once flight training begins, vision can deteriorate to no worse than 20/100 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. After flight training graduation, if the eyesite deteriorates worse than 20/200 (must be correctable to 20/20), the pilot will require a waiver for carrier operations.

If the vision deteriorates past 20/400 (correctable to 20/20), the pilot is restricted to aircraft with dual controls (ie, aircraft with co-pilots).

For Navigators (called "NFOs" or "Navy Flight Officers"), there is no vision requirement to enter flight training. However, the Navigator's vision must be correctable to 20/20 and there are limits on refraction. Refraction must be less than or equal to plus or minus 8.00 sphere in any meridian and less than or equal to minus 3.00 cylinder. No more than 3.50 anisometropia.

After flight training, to continue on flight status there is no limit on refraction for NFOs. No waivers are authorized for NFO applicants who exceed these refraction limits.

Normal color vision is required for both NFOs and pilots. Normal depth perception is required for pilots and pilot applicants.
The Navy allows laser eye surgery, both for current pilots and NFOs, and for pilot/NFO applicants, if they apply for, and are accepted to participate in the Navy's on-going study about laser eye surgery for aviators.

USNAviator
05-19-11, 05:50 PM
another thing that has me alittle worried is the citizenship issue. Obviously I think all officers require some sort of clearance and I have heard that even if I become a citizen and give up my citizenship from Guatemala I probably still wouldnt get a clearance because I was born in another country and therefore I have family and "connections" in other countries, so hopefully I can get some input as well from maybe people who were born in another country and have gotten their citizenship and have been given a top secret or security clearance

I'm sorry I can't help you with the citizenship question. Not my area. But yes you do need to be a citizen

You will need a bachelors degree from a four year college and be no older than 28 when you commission.

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 05:51 PM
Thank you sir, I have already read that, but I guess I should've worded my question different. I was wondering more on the job itself. What divisions are there for NFO's, I dont think all NFO's get to fly right? There are desk jobs I think? I would assume its the same process for Aviators, the best in class typically get their first pick and the rest get whatever the Corps needs. Have you ever flown with an NFO behind you? If so, what exactly did he/she do?

USNAviator
05-19-11, 06:06 PM
Thank you sir, I have already read that, but I guess I should've worded my question different. I was wondering more on the job itself. What divisions are there for NFO's, I dont think all NFO's get to fly right? There are desk jobs I think? I would assume its the same process for Aviators, the best in class typically get their first pick and the rest get whatever the Corps needs. Have you ever flown with an NFO behind you? If so, what exactly did he/she do?

Yes I flew a Prowler, an EA-6. I had 3 NFO"s with me. I flew, they sat until it was showtime. BTW, there is a standard joke that NFO stands for Non Flying Object

On a Prowler an NFO is referred to as an ECMO (Electronic Counter Measure Officer) We (I) took off before any strikes and they jammed SAM sites, AAA, radio/TV transmission and other things

One sat next to me, usually the senior of the three other two in the back. They all were highly trained at their jobs.

The EA-6 is being phased out and will be replaced by EA-18 Growler. Essentially a Hornet but with two less NFO's. One GIB (Guy in bacK)

The way technology has evolved there are fewer needs for NFO's. BTW the two seat Hornets you're referring too are trainers. The Hornet driver has everything he/she needs in front . No longer any need for a RIO like they had on the F-14 You know Goose and Maverick bird

USNAviator
05-19-11, 06:23 PM

The Navy doesn't train you to sit behind a desk. If you earn your wings either as an aviator or NFO, you fly. Yes there is paper work to be done but that's usually the job of a more senior officer. The training is relentless.

I just realized you're talking about the Corps and I'm talking about the Navy. There are even fewer NFO's in the Corps. There are only 4 Prowler squadrons in the Corps. So with the phase out of the Prowler you can see there will be fewer need for NFO's

Have you thought about Helos?

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 06:23 PM
Isn't the Growler a Navy jet only or do Marines fly it as well? I would pay a milllion bucks to be able to fly back seat in an F/A 18 just sit there and enjoy the ride :marine:. I hate that I have horrible vision or I would've given it my all. I respect you Avaitors very much. If go the NFO route I would hate to get stuck in a cargo plane (no offense to anyone just not my cup of tea)

USNAviator
05-19-11, 06:26 PM
Isn't the Growler a Navy jet only or do Marines fly it as well? I would pay a milllion bucks to be able to fly back seat in an F/A 18 just sit there and enjoy the ride :marine:. I hate that I have horrible vision or I would've given it my all. I respect you Avaitors very much. If go the NFO route I would hate to get stuck in a cargo plane (no offense to anyone just not my cup of tea)

The Corps is always at the bottom of the equipment chain. Yes they will be getting Growlers ,in fact someone told me they are building hangars for them at Cherry Point

Edwin you don't have to respect us but you do have to worship us!!!:D

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 06:27 PM
The Navy doesn't train you to sit behind a desk. If you earn your wings either as an aviator or NFO, you fly. Yes there is paper work to be done but that's usually the job of a more senior officer. The training is relentless.

I just realized you're talking about the Corps and I'm talking about the Navy. There are even fewer NFO's in the Corps. There are only 4 Prowler squadrons in the Corps. So with the phase out of the Prowler you can see there will be fewer need for NFO's

Have you thought about Helos?

Flying or being a co-pilot?
The idea has run through my mind, I know in order to be able to excel in training for any kind of avaition you really really need to want it, and I dont think my heart would be fully in it if I knew I would be in a helo. I have respect for helo's but again I'm not yet 100% positive, maybe once I see one in person being flown my mind might change.

USNAviator
05-19-11, 06:34 PM
Flying or being a co-pilot?
The idea has run through my mind, I know in order to be able to excel in training for any kind of avaition you really really need to want it, and I dont think my heart would be fully in it if I knew I would be in a helo. I have respect for helo's but again I'm not yet 100% positive, maybe once I see one in person being flown my mind might change.

Not up on my helos configurations but pilot/co-pilot is the same thing. Both are qualified to fly

Well it's your decision. I hope I was able to shed some light on all this.. It's a long and arduous training program that if you're not careful can get you killed real quick

Good luck to you

edwinrivera1990
05-19-11, 06:37 PM
Not up on my helos configurations but pilot/co-pilot is the same thing. Both are qualified to fly

Well it's your decision. I hope I was able to shed some light on all this.. It's a long and arduous training program that if you're not careful can get you killed real quick

Good luck to you

Yes, you've answered what I needed to know

Thank you