PDA

View Full Version : Commited Christians in the Marines?

Twacker
05-19-11, 04:24 PM
I recently thought the Marine Corps was closed to me for medical reasons, but it seems it might be opening back up. One of my main remaining hesitations comes from my faith. I have a very sensitive conscious and I want to live to God with all my might. I know there are a lot of people who say they are Christian, but I'm talking real deal repentant, sin hating, Jesus loving Christians who's first love is Jesus.

If you are reading this and you are a "hardcore" Christian, how is life in the Marine Corps in this respect?

When I said I had a sensitive conscious I'm not talking like hippie stuff I mean like I really hate to sin by commission or omission, and when I do it kills me inside. I won't lie or hide stuff to get past MEPS. I'm ok with killing if its just.

I feel like if the Marine Corps is as sketch and sort of immoral as the recruiters can sometimes be then I wouldn't make it.

Any thoughts?

Kegler300
05-19-11, 05:05 PM
There are a lot of faithful Christians in the Marine Corps.

ammermda
05-19-11, 05:06 PM
Who did Jesus spend time with while on the earth? If you don't want to be around sinners, don't join the Corps and don't look in the mirror.

TheReservist
05-19-11, 05:10 PM
I've worked with some really devout people in a few religions. Hardcore christians to a muslim that prayed 5 times a day.

What mattered was how well you did your job. Religion is just like any other extracurricular activity that you can be apart of but when it bleeds over into your job, then it's a problem.

ecfree
05-19-11, 05:13 PM
In the middle of a fire fight,there's alot of born again Christians,instantly born.......

SEMPER FI:iwo:.........................Ed

Sgt Leprechaun
05-19-11, 05:15 PM
IF this becomes a religion bashing (ANY religion) post, it'll be deleted...and the 'basher' will get a site vacation of not less than 2 weeks. As long as this remains on the topic...it'll stand.

ammermda
05-19-11, 05:41 PM
... if the Marine Corps is as sketch and sort of immoral as the recruiters can sometimes be then I wouldn't make it.

I want to briefly address this concern and pair it with The Reservist's advice.

The Marine Corps is an institution -- perhaps one of the most benevolent in the world. Our leadership traits and principles, along with our core values, are fully compatible with the commandments to love God with all your heart, mind, body, and soul; and to loving your neighbor as yourself.

Now, is pursuing a relationship with God via Jesus Christ an all-the-time lifestyle? Sure it is; you don't turn it off but you meditate on His word constantly. So, in that regard there is 'bleed-over.'

But, what you have to recognize is where your rights end and your neighbor's begin in this gun club. You do not have a pass to 'push' your beliefs on others in the workplace; or to refuse lawful orders because of your interpretation of the scriptures; etc. Furthermore, none of these behaviors would be consistent with loving your neighbor anyway.

So yes, service as a United States Marine is fully compatible with living a devoted Christian lifestyle. And finally, remember the implications of VOLUNTEERING when you enlist -- the meaning of giving to Caesar what is Caesar's may become broader than just taxes.

Out here.

ammermda
05-19-11, 05:46 PM
THE perfect and accurate response. And you let me post THREE rambling posts about it LOL----ammermda said it very very accurately......

Lol. Thanks. It took me two, so I don't think three is so bad...

Sgt Leprechaun
05-19-11, 05:54 PM
Captain, NO one else is gonna put it better. Asked, answered, closed.