PDA

View Full Version : Unique Situation, Need Advice.

nu1819
05-12-11, 08:46 PM
Thank you in advance for you advise.

I am a college student who will be graduating next Spring. My entire life I have wanted to join the United States Marine Corps, and I was contracted as an officer candidate this winter. My PT score and GPA were well above average but unfortunately due to poor timing on my part my selection was especially difficult and I did not make the final cut.

I started off with the original goal to be a Marine and I intend to continue to pursue that goal. I have decided to enlist, and several Marine friends of mine have given me a list of MOSs that they think that I would like. The MOS that I would like to pursue is 0861, forward observer.

However, I spoke with a recruiter today and was informed that he was only accepting "open" contracts and that I would only be able to pick the first two digits of my MOS if I go active. Is this true? Is there any way to ensure getting the MOS that I want? Since 0861 falls under an artillery MOS I feel that if I just sign on to a 08 contract that there is an overwhelming chance that I will not only not get the MOS I desire, but also that I would be in a field for 4 years that I do not wish to pursue.

On a separate note: The recruiter made becoming an officer from the enlisted side sound very easy. Is this the case? My GPA was high as well as my PT score.

Thank you again for you advice. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I realize the situation is not especially unique but I though the title would help grab attention on the blog.

-DG

michagnu
05-12-11, 08:52 PM
"Thank you again for you advice. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I realize the situation is not especially unique but I though the title would help grab attention on the blog."

How clever of you.

The response your likely to get is "Site Rules- No Profile, No Answer."

Tookie22
05-12-11, 08:54 PM
You will go to MEPS and sign an open contract. That is normal. Upon becoming a poolee you will sit down with a recruiter and choose a contract. Contract will consist of a couple or more fields. The first two digits. Yes this is normal. Does it suck? Honestly,a little, but it is about the Corps more than yourself if you are truly committed. You can not ensure a specific MOS unless you go reservist. If you dont get the job you like I am sorry but it happens to many people. Sacrifices must be made to belong to the best though. About going Mustang. Ive seen many officers who did just that, but I can not tell you how simple it is. The Corps offers numerous programs that will aide you towards your final goal.

m14ed
05-13-11, 02:40 AM
How about some info onto your membership profile Swee'Pea ?