PDA

View Full Version : BAH information.....

saltman
05-11-11, 08:13 AM
Hello Marines. I'm hoping to join your ranks in due time but for now I'm enjoying the DEP progam and just trying to stuff all the information possible into my head. I've been able to find old threads for married families with dependants recieving BAH from day one but my situation is a little different (please forgive if I've missed the thread that already explained this situation). I'm a single father with a 3 year old dependant, been dating his mother since his birth just haven't gotten married yet. My question is there anyone that knows of a Marine that has dealt with trying to get BAH once stationed in this situation and how hard was it to obtain (i.e. do you have to get CO to approve it or do you just fill out an application?). Any current information will be greatly appriciated.

SSgt Lamie
05-11-11, 08:45 AM
You have to have custody of your child to be eligible for BAH. In that case, then your CO would then have to approve it before you could start the search for housing. If you choose to utilize base housing then the child's mother would not be able to live with you until you are married.

Tennessee Top
05-11-11, 10:31 AM
Sounds like the first step is marrying the child's mother (like you should've done from the get-go). Since you want all the benefits...then step up to the plate and accept all your responsibilities...just say'n.

saltman
05-11-11, 05:37 PM
Yes I agree 100% Staff Sergeant and Master Sergeant but it take two for that to happen! We're making good progress. Its not just the benefits that I'm trying to capitalize on, although they do sound very tempting; I'm just wanting to be able to keep my close relationship with my son after the initial phase of the military lifestyle. Again besides using my time preparing physically and mentally, I would like to figure out how I'm going to get to see my son regularly if I'm located out of state, just incase I go into basic unmarried.

WXSgt
05-12-11, 02:08 AM
you are still required to support your child they may give you a partial BAH for you to use to support your dependant i have seen this happen before. Also from what Ive been trained by our MGySgt is that you can have the GF live with you if you have custody of the child as a "caregiver".

Sgt Leprechaun
05-15-11, 07:25 PM
Yeah...base housing is for 'the dependant', meaning in this case, your child.