PDA

View Full Version : Can a past case of adhd disqualify someone from enlistment?

jacobskym2
05-11-11, 07:15 AM
By the time that I turn 18 I will have had like two and a half years off of all medication, and doing just fine. I have taken like three different meds, and I am concerned that when i go to MEPS that I will be declined for this. I know what the new rule is but I am worried and need some insight. Thank you Marines for any help that you can give.

oscrmyr
05-11-11, 07:35 AM
When you went off your Meds did you take yourself off or did a MD document it and take you off of it? Either way you will need the documentation to prove you have been off of the Meds and doing fine without them. Your Recruiter can go into detail on that and make sure he is aware before MEPS!

USNAviator
05-11-11, 08:03 AM
By the time that I turn 18 I will have had like two and a half years off of all medication, and doing just fine. I have taken like three different meds, and I am concerned that when i go to MEPS that I will be declined for this. I know what the new rule is but I am worried and need some insight. Thank you Marines for any help that you can give.

This is from the bible at the DOD

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

"ADD/ADHD is disqualifying only if the applicant has been treated with ADD/ADHD medication within the previous year and/or they display signs of ADD/ADHD. For applicants with a previous history of ADD/ADHD who have been off medication for more than one year, and they do no demonstrate significant impulsivity or inattention during MEPS processing, the MEPS examining official may find them qualified for military service without submission of a waiver.

Records review is still required. Any history of being evaluated or treated for ADD/ADHD must be documented. As a minimum, all treatment (if any) within the previous three years must be submitted to MEPS, in advance, as part of the medical pre-screening. Full medical records are required if the applicant was ever treated for ADD or ADHD with any medication other than Ritalin, Adderal, or Dexedrine, or if there were any additional psychiatric symptoms, such as, but not limited to, depression.

MEPS may require school transcripts to demonstrate acceptable academic performance for the year without medication. If treatment for ADD/ADHD occurred throughout the school environment, but wasn’t stopped until after the applicant left school, there is still the possibility of waiver consideration.

USNAviator
05-11-11, 08:14 AM
One other thing to consider.

I got this from a friend whose son is ADHD and tried to earn an appointment to the Naval Academy, he was turned down

"And the military does not give dispensations for learning disabilities. There are no quiet rooms to help with concentration. There is no extra time given for tests. And the military, unlike the public school system, does not move at the pace of the slowest learner. Classes have a set curriculum and pace. If you can't keep up then you get dropped. You might be allowed to retake one segment but repeated failures and you are dropped from training and, eventually, can be dropped from the military."

oscrmyr
05-11-11, 08:17 AM
:thumbup:
This is from the bible at the DOD

Derived from Department of Defense (DOD) Directive 6130.3, Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, and Induction, and DOD Instruction 6130.4, Criteria and Procedure Requirements for Physical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Armed Forces.

"ADD/ADHD is disqualifying only if the applicant has been treated with ADD/ADHD medication within the previous year and/or they display signs of ADD/ADHD. For applicants with a previous history of ADD/ADHD who have been off medication for more than one year, and they do no demonstrate significant impulsivity or inattention during MEPS processing, the MEPS examining official may find them qualified for military service without submission of a waiver.

Records review is still required. Any history of being evaluated or treated for ADD/ADHD must be documented. As a minimum, all treatment (if any) within the previous three years must be submitted to MEPS, in advance, as part of the medical pre-screening. Full medical records are required if the applicant was ever treated for ADD or ADHD with any medication other than Ritalin, Adderal, or Dexedrine, or if there were any additional psychiatric symptoms, such as, but not limited to, depression.

MEPS may require school transcripts to demonstrate acceptable academic performance for the year without medication. If treatment for ADD/ADHD occurred throughout the school environment, but wasn’t stopped until after the applicant left school, there is still the possibility of waiver consideration.

jacobskym2
05-11-11, 02:03 PM
No, I dont think I told the doctor.At least it was not official anyways. I know you are probly not a doctor, but can i go back, and get the certification to be off the meds? What kind of papers do i have to bring to MEPS?

jacobskym2
05-11-11, 02:06 PM
I have no disability since being off the medication, so it will not hinder my ability to do anything in the Corps. What sort of papers do I have to bring to MEPS, and how do i prove that i have been off of the medication for over a year when I go to enlist?

Phantom Blooper
05-11-11, 02:16 PM
how do i prove that i have been off of the medication for over a year when I go to enlist?

Thats the problem.....since you went off the medication yourself...without doctor approval how can the prescribing doctor know when you went off except by your word of mouth.

You also have to be med free for a year....to be able to be considered for a waiver for enlistment.

jacobskym2
05-11-11, 02:19 PM
He told me I did'nt really need it to my dad and said that I was free to get off of it when ever I lt ready. I just dont think that it was documented when Idid stop taking them.

oscrmyr
05-11-11, 02:30 PM
Your answer is in the quote from the CMDR!!

USNAviator
05-11-11, 02:44 PM
Thats the problem.....since you went off the medication yourself...without doctor approval how can the prescribing doctor know when you went off except by your word of mouth.

You also have to be med free for a year....to be able to be considered for a waiver for enlistment.

Yes that's true and without documentation from your Dr. stating that he took you off meds or has monitored you since you yourself decided to end taking them, your not "officially' off them. Get as much documentation as you can, err on the side of over kill.

You're trying to get a waiver. With things the way they are today, the Corps can simply pick and choose who they want and most don't need a waiver

micarr57
05-11-11, 08:53 PM
adhd is not a cureable problem you still have it you just don't realize it or have been able to find ways to work around it but trust me you still got it
before you call me an ******* i have a son with this problem and he's 32 years old now so i know of what i speak
good luck