PDA

View Full Version : enlistment requirements, waivers, vision ect.

SKB88
05-09-11, 12:51 PM
It is my understanding that in order to enlist, the marines require a high school deplome or 15 college credits. I do not have a high school deplome but i do have a GED. I am currenty in college working towards those 15 credits. Along with that keeping me from enlisting, I do have a slight criminal record. Which includes a hand full of traffic violations, no DUIs, 1 count of simple possession of marijuana under a half ounce, which i got when I was a minor and havent touched the stuff since. And 1 felony assault which I got for a fight I got in in high school. along with all this my vision is not the greatest. I require to wear contacts or glasses all the time, except while sleeping ofcourse. So basicly what i want to know is with all this stuff on me, even after obtaining the 15 credits, what are my chances of getting accepted into the marine corps?

Marine3451
05-09-11, 01:02 PM
Honestly(i am not a recruiter) very slim. You would require at least 3 waivers from what I see. GED, Moral(drugs) and criminal(Felony) waivers. From what I hear it is hard to get 1 waiver let alone a felony waiver. Have you spoken with a recruiter about it they can give you a better SITREP than we can.

oscrmyr
05-09-11, 01:03 PM
Read the rules for this forum. No Profile No answer!
Marines like to know who they are talking to within this forum, All it takes is a few minutes to fill out.
Have you talked to your local recruiter yet??
They can answer your question(s) the best!!
Semper Fi

USNAviator
05-09-11, 01:23 PM
Let me ask, this slight criminal record of yours, did the traffic violations, possession all happen before your felony? And were you convicted or charged with a felony and pled down to a misdemeanor?...

Lisa 23
05-09-11, 01:29 PM
And read the sticky's....also try doing a search on the site. Your questions have been asked and answered many times before.

SKB88
05-09-11, 01:32 PM
Read the rules for this forum. No Profile No answer!
Marines like to know who they are talking to within this forum, All it takes is a few minutes to fill out.
Have you talked to your local recruiter yet??
They can answer your question(s) the best!!
Semper Fi

Yes let me appoligize I just found this website today, I have updated my information. I have talked to several recruiters and all of them have told me yes it is still possible for me to join, 50/50 chance. I have been working towards may goal of joining the marines for some time now. I just hope im not doing all this hard work just to still get denied eligibility

SKB88
05-09-11, 01:36 PM
And read the sticky's....also try doing a search on the site. Your questions have been asked and answered many times before.

Again I just found this site today so bare with me

SKB88
05-09-11, 01:41 PM
No the possession came first, then the felony both when in my early teens. and the traffic is more recent like the past 2 years. I have talked to recruiters, im just looking for any kind of help or...

oscrmyr
05-09-11, 01:42 PM
You are on the right track!!! Your Recruiter will work with you and plead your case up the Chain. Education is never a bad thing even if you are denied eligibility. You have made your goals and stick to them. I applaud your commitment.
Semper Fi

Tennessee Top
05-09-11, 04:37 PM
Better be walking on eggshells till you get the final answer.

One more stupid mistake will tip that 50/50 scale to the denied side.

There are plenty of wannabes out there with clean records so don't know why your recruiter would spend his time on you but it's worth a try. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-09-11, 06:59 PM
Keep trying. Basically, your chances are likely less than 50/50. But, keep us in the loop with your progress. Stranger things have happened.

Do some site searching here, you'll find all sorts of information related directly to your problem. Also check the stickies at the top of the page, they'll help too.

USNAviator
05-09-11, 07:05 PM
No the possession came first, then the felony both when in my early teens. and the traffic is more recent like the past 2 years. I have talked to recruiters, im just looking for any kind of help or advice I can get

I'm not an attorney but there is one aboard and he was JAG as well. It's my understanding that a felony conviction can be expunged given a certain period of time if said felony happened in your youth

Have you kept your nose clean? Are you required to report to a PO? There is a chance but we can't answer it for you.

USNAviator
05-09-11, 07:41 PM
Let me add one thing. For all you know, that felony conviction may have been set up to automatically change to a misdemeanor eventually, to give you a break. I myself have done this with a judge who saw that a person had no record, wanted to give them a felony conviction to teach him a lesson, but wanted it changed after a couple of years to a misdemeanor.
This could have been done in your case and you might not have been told of it.
This happened to a female defendant, when her employer, a big bank, found out about it, they fired her. When I explained to them, they still did not understand. I had to send them copies of all the court dockets, explain again and again and finally they hired her back.
So these things happen.
A "felony conviction" states a fact without interpreting it fully.
Have it looked into as soon as you can.

This is the attorney/JAG I was telling you about

Great advice as usual Dave

USNAviator
05-09-11, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry to keep posting on this but another avenue is known as a Motion to Revise and Revoke. Your attorney files it, sets it up for a hearing, the state responds to it, and basically your atty is asking the judge to CHANGE the disposition in the case because you are trying to go into the military, etc and you haven't been in any more trouble and this and that, and that is one possible avenue.
These things vary tremendously from state to state, but you should consult someone and explore all these avenues.
The Marines here are all correct----people are beating down recruiter's doors to get in, so why should they have to bother with waivers and crimes and drugs when they have hundreds waiting who never set foot in a courtroom?
So you have a strike or two against you, but the least you can do is look into the "felony conviction" to see exactly what happened, what it entails, whether it can be changed or modifed in some way, etc
Sorry to hog the thread, but I wanted to give you those additional things to think about.

Thanks Dave for answering my request for help in this matter. To the best of my knowledge you're the only attorney aboard