PDA

View Full Version : Iwo-Jima tattoo disrespectful?

eddy7933
05-07-11, 09:20 PM
Okay to start this isn't just another tattoo policy question but, I'm 16 and getting my first tattoo and wanted to get something patriotic. I am joining the Marines right out of high school and was leaning towards a Iwo-Jima tattoo with a quote on my side. Keep in mind this doesn't say Semper Fi, or Marine or anything like that because i realize i haven't earned that title yet. Just wondering if this would be looked on as disrespectful to other Marines since I am not a recruit yet, because I mean no disrespect whatsoever. It's somewhat similar to this...

http://www.grunt.com/corps/tattoos/details/1324/

Thanks,
Rodney

michagnu
05-07-11, 09:48 PM
What Dave2571 said. (still laughing)

Old Marine
05-07-11, 09:52 PM
How old do you have to be these days in Md. to get a tat?

eddy7933
05-07-11, 09:54 PM
How old do you have to be these days in Md. to get a tat?
No clue. Just know that you can get it with parental consent at 14 or so

eddy7933
05-07-11, 09:57 PM
yeah, you got me re-thinking this whole tattoo idea

michagnu
05-07-11, 09:57 PM
michagnu, the DIs live for stuff like that :)

My DIs would have made him push until the Earth was close enough to the sun to make it comfortable to wear shorts in December.

Old Marine
05-07-11, 10:00 PM
If my son came to me and wanted concent for a tat at 16 he would be told no way. He would be told when you are 18 be my guest, as you are the one who has to live your life with it.

USNAviator
05-07-11, 10:00 PM
michagnu, the DIs live for stuff like that :)

Good point Gunny, he's 15 yo.

Rodney go back to being a kid. Forget about trying to impress your classmates, friends, wanna be friends, wanna be girls friends

Study hard, get good grades. Don't worry about a tat right now. If you should earn the title, three years down the road, think about it again.

Don't screw up things to where you may need a waiver.This desire will pass believe me

michagnu
05-07-11, 10:04 PM
"Then every time something goes wrong, Where is IWO JIMA VET? get your azz over here for PT"

That's exactly how he'd be called.

eddy7933
05-07-11, 10:05 PM
It isn't about impressing anyone, but you still got a good point. Thanks for the advice guys.

eddy7933
05-07-11, 10:10 PM
I appreciate that. I'll let you know how everything turns out Dave

USNAviator
05-07-11, 10:22 PM
It isn't about impressing anyone, but you still got a good point. Thanks for the advice guys.

Really so why do it at 15 years old?? What 15 year old needs a Marine Corps tat??? You want to honor Marines or anyone who served our country, visit a VA hospital, bring them some reading material, sit and talk with them. Many of them are without family members. So if you feel the need to get an Iwo tat why not take that money and by a phone card for a real Iwo vet who can't afford it?

eddy7933
05-07-11, 10:27 PM
Didn't even think about that. Sure as helll sounds better than ****ing money away for selfish reasons though.

YLDNDN6
05-08-11, 10:42 AM
Here's a great idea for ya. If you already have your sights set on the Marine Corps, and you want to honor the Marines as well as veterans of other branches, organize a small group of your buddies and do little things for the area veteran's hospital, or other vet organizations. Help out with local VFW functions in the interest of raising funds for vets who need help. There are lots of ways to do this. It would mean a ton to some vet to get a new deck of cards, and someone to play cards with every now and then. Books, magazines, letters...anything to let them know that they are important to our nation and to you personally. Use your youthful energy and ambition to shine some light into the darkness that many of our vets find themselves in.

Tennessee Top
05-08-11, 01:28 PM
[quote=eddy7933;766829]Didn't even think about that. quote]

That's the problem at 15...you tend NOT to think things through.

At least you asked for advice. We get too many wannabes on here who are finally old enough to join but can't because of some immature decision about a tattoo years before.

Wait till you're 18 (and a Marine) before you do it; you'll be glad you did.

SGT7477
05-08-11, 01:48 PM
Okay to start this isn't just another tattoo policy question but, I'm 16 and getting my first tattoo and wanted to get something patriotic. I am joining the Marines right out of high school and was leaning towards a Iwo-Jima tattoo with a quote on my side. Keep in mind this doesn't say Semper Fi, or Marine or anything like that because i realize i haven't earned that title yet. Just wondering if this would be looked on as disrespectful to other Marines since I am not a recruit yet, because I mean no disrespect whatsoever. It's somewhat similar to this...

Thanks,
Rodney
Not a good idea, Semper Fidelis.:D

BadAce2212
05-08-11, 07:47 PM
I'm gonna say wait until your a bit older to get a tattoo, and then if you do enlist and become a Marine get it after you earn the title. Im not just refering to an Iwo Jimo tat, its getting harder to gets jobs in the real world, and with as many people in the Corps as there is, its getting harder to get waivers. When your older check with recruiters on the current regs. Good Luck in your endeavors.

Devil1087
05-08-11, 08:00 PM
You don't even know if you're medically qualified to be a Marine yet. Don't get a moto tat unless you've got a ship date son... actually just never get one, ever...

eddy7933
05-08-11, 08:07 PM
yeah i've decided too just put it behind me. No point getting a waiver denied two years down the road for some BS phase. Thanks for the advice

USNAviator
05-08-11, 08:21 PM
yeah i've decided too just put it behind me. No point getting a waiver denied two years down the road for some BS phase. Thanks for the advice

Good and smart choice. It's a phase, we all have been through it. But as I mentioned yesterday, if you or your buddies live near a VA facility, drop by and just listen to what they have to teach you. Bring them something, a phone card, a pack of Ring Dings it doesn't matter. You show them respect, I'll guarantee they will bend over backwards to help you

Rooger
05-08-11, 09:54 PM

Thanks,
Rodney

Sorry Rodney....But to this Old Marine it could be construed as disrespect......you want to be What We Are ......MARINES...until you EARN the title.........you have know idea what that means......with that being said.......study hard...get good grades...your 16? you have a long time yet......It is admirable and flattering that you want to be like us...US Marines....... concentrate on your studies.......worry about whats in front of your eye's right now!

Don't get the tattoo, wait, enlist if that's what you want to do, then you can decide......time has a funny way of changing ones perception about life and Death.....which is the business you profess to aspire to

Good Luck Son......:marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-11, 12:30 AM
Dave and others nailed it, and I'm glad you are taking their advice. Closed, as the point has been made.