PDA

View Full Version : Bah

bstraw
05-05-11, 09:47 AM
Hi all, first time posting on this site, just a quick inquiry about available BAH. I am thinking of joining the marine corps as an active reservist, but was wondering if I will get BAH while in boot camp, as well as in SOI? I've seen this topic come up before on this site, but everyone has dependants, there is the only difference, I do not have any dependants. However, the only thing that is really holding me back from joining is that I have a house with a sizeable mortgage payment on every month. Like i said previously, I know its not hard for someone with a wife or children to receive it, I've just gotten some mixed answers from a couple of different recruiters, and wanting to know if any of you went through the same situation as I'm going through. Any help given would be awesome. If you have encountered this situation, please let me know how you obtained it or if there are any special forms to fill out, thanks again.

USNAviator
05-05-11, 10:23 AM
Hi all, first time posting on this site, just a quick inquiry about available BAH. I am thinking of joining the marine corps as an active reservist, but was wondering if I will get BAH while in boot camp, as well as in SOI? I've seen this topic come up before on this site, but everyone has dependants, there is the only difference, I do not have any dependants. However, the only thing that is really holding me back from joining is that I have a house with a sizeable mortgage payment on every month. Like i said previously, I know its not hard for someone with a wife or children to receive it, I've just gotten some mixed answers from a couple of different recruiters, and wanting to know if any of you went through the same situation as I'm going through. Any help given would be awesome. If you have encountered this situation, please let me know how you obtained it or if there are any special forms to fill out, thanks again.

No BAH while you're in Boot, no BAH without dependents unless you're n E-5 or higher. Sorry, your house does not qualify a a dependent

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Please fill out your profile.

iamspartacus
05-05-11, 11:48 AM
No. You won't get BAH. Think of it like this: They are already paying to house you at Boot camp and SOI. They don't care if you have a house with a mortgage, you're not living there. If you had a wife or kids that would be different because they obviously can't live with you at boot camp and SOI so the Marine Corps will give them money to live somewhere else.

You most likely won't even be getting BAH once you get to your first duty station. You'll be a single E-1 or E-2 living in the barracks. Is it possible for you to get approved for BAH and move out of the barracks on your own? Yes. Is it likely? No. The only way you will be guaranteed BAH is if you have a dependent.

Marine3451
05-05-11, 01:00 PM
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure you cannot initialy enlist into the active reserves since they are billets that are competed for once your already in the SMCR or your 6 months from your EAS and want to go from Active Duty to Active Reserves.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-05-11, 07:56 PM
No profile. Fail to follow site rules. Thread deleted until one appears.