PDA

View Full Version : Torn between two ways of life

Chauncey122
05-04-11, 08:06 PM
My issue is not the marines themselves, they are a great outfit, everyone I know agrees with me. My own issue is that my family is pressuring me to join the family business, not a business as such but a vocation, the world of stocks, financing and the like. I feel pulled toward the corps because of what I can do for the Corps but also what I will end up getting out of it for myself, the ability to get confident in areas of my life.
I wonder if I could still do financial work while serving in the corps except for when I am in training and outside in the fields. This way I could please my family as well as join the marines
Anyone have similar issues or stories like this, please share with me
If it were not for my family having these connections, I would have no goal besides the marines

ammermda
05-04-11, 08:55 PM
I see from your profile that you are planning on attending Brown this fall. So here's my $.02...

If you want to be a Marine and 'do financial work,' then seriously look into pursuing a commission with the intent to become a 3404. Military finance is much different than civilian finances, but there is some overlap; especially when we talk about principles of budgeting, accounting, auditing/controls etc. And this is also why I recommend looking at the 'dark side.' The enlisted side of our field deals more with execution, accounting, systems maintenance (correcting errors and the like) etc. The officers in this field supervise all those activities, but are also involved in the budgeting -- where typically the (junior) enlisted are not. (I certainly don't want to take away from the incredible and necessary work our enlisted financial warriors do; but since you seem concerned about getting a good financial challenge, that's why I recommend the dark side to you.)

You will (likely) have the opportunity to pursue your MBA while you serve -- in fact, it will probably be encouraged. And gaining the leadership experience coupled with a behind the scenes look at how the government does its finances will certainly not detract from your future transition back to civilian life.

Just some things to think about.

Devil1087
05-04-11, 09:17 PM
Do nothing for your family dude, whatever you choose, including MOS is all on you, your family will not be there to judge you. When you hate life because you're in the IPAC working as an 01, you won't be worrying about what your family thinks.

Do it for yourself, if you feel the call, go for it. Find a job that you want to do and as long as you're qualified for it, do not let anyone, including a recruiter convince you otherwise. I encourage you do look at the job contracts for enlisted personnel detailed in MCO 1130.53, if you see something that looks interesting find Marines who have done the job recently or are currently still in the Marine Corps and ask as many questions as possible. They will shoot straight with you, don't be disappointed if they straight up tell you it sucks.

The officer route is another ball game, can't help you there.

USNAviator
05-04-11, 09:18 PM
I see from your profile that you are planning on attending Brown this fall. So here's my $.02...

If you want to be a Marine and 'do financial work,' then seriously look into pursuing a commission with the intent to become a 3404. Military finance is much different than civilian finances, but there is some overlap; especially when we talk about principles of budgeting, accounting, auditing/controls etc. And this is also why I recommend looking at the 'dark side.' The enlisted side of our field deals more with execution, accounting, systems maintenance (correcting errors and the like) etc. The officers in this field supervise all those activities, but are also involved in the budgeting -- where typically the (junior) enlisted are not. (I certainly don't want to take away from the incredible and necessary work our enlisted financial warriors do; but since you seem concerned about getting a good financial challenge, that's why I recommend the dark side to you.)

You will (likely) have the opportunity to pursue your MBA while you serve -- in fact, it will probably be encouraged. And gaining the leadership experience coupled with a behind the scenes look at how the government does its finances will certainly not detract from your future transition back to civilian life.

Just some things to think about.

Good advice Cpt. I admire a young man who can come from wealth and privilege and who is willing to serve his country. Very rare indeed!!!

YLDNDN6
05-05-11, 05:42 AM
To begin with, "Marine" is ALWAYS capitalized. Secondly, the short skirt with matching top and shoes that my wife wore the other night to dinner is a "great outfit." The United States Marine Corps is a branch of the U.S. armed forces, not an "outfit." Arguably the best branch, but we needn't go into that now. Now, on to your situation. You are an adult. You should learn early that Mom and Dad are not always going to be there for you. You need to do something for yourself, by yourself, at this time in your life. Your college options, followed up with service in the Corps would serve you well, if it is something you are intent on doing. Time to start making some decisions on your own, partner. Whatever you do decide, I wish you well.

Tennessee Top
05-05-11, 12:23 PM
YLDNDN6,

This poster has been on here numerous times now (13) with very similar questions. He has already been told more than once about capitalizing Marines and the need to read the site rules. For somebody who wants us to believe he is intelligent and comes from privilege he sure is a slow learner and does not take directions well.

This is the same cat who wanted to know if you have to make your own bed in bootcamp and if you don't like your DI's can you request different ones!

Now...do you still want to take him seriously? I don't.

chulaivet1966
05-05-11, 01:07 PM
YLDNDN6,

This is the same cat who wanted to know if you have to make your own bed in bootcamp and if you don't like your DI's can you request different ones!

WHAT!
Ho - ly ****....I've heard everything now.
Hopefully, I won't have to do more push ups for not staying on topic.

Back to topic...

YLDNDN6
05-05-11, 06:15 PM
Top,
I appreciate you setting me straight about this F-Tart. Hopefully, our Marine Corps won't make the mistake of accidentally allowing this POS to enlist, should he lose his silver spoon and have to fend for himself someday.

Chauncey122, I stand corrected. Fall anus-first on something long and jagged.

ammermda
05-05-11, 07:46 PM
Well, having read his previous posts, I feel embarrassed. Even so, my advice still stands for anyone reading who may be interested in 'combat finance.'

Sgt Leprechaun
05-05-11, 07:51 PM
And, this one is...done.