PDA

View Full Version : Can I choose?

Chauncey122
05-03-11, 08:33 PM
Parris Island or San Diego? I heard that Parris Island is a rougher place. Thanks for any and all answers, ready to become a poolee at some time. thank you

03Mike
05-03-11, 08:53 PM
Parris Island or San Diego? I heard that Parris Island is a rougher place. Thanks for any and all answers, ready to become a poolee at some time. thank you

No - you cannot choose which one you go to (get used to it, not many times in the Corps when they'll offer you a choice). Generally, if you live east of the Mississippi, then you go to Parris Island. West of the river, and you go to San Diego. The river is not a "hard & fast" line, but it's an easy one.

Phantom Blooper
05-03-11, 09:00 PM
The only other exception and I don't know the logistics.....but if you have a parent that was at one of the depots and graduated....you can request to go to the same depot....

I know of a few that had their sons go to PI when they should have went to San Diego because of HOR....

Other than that the divide is Ole' Miss river....

SGT7477
05-03-11, 09:58 PM
Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see, When Marines get to the fleet whether they came from PI or San Diego I couldn't tell the difference a Marine is a Marine, I would like to know how we can say one is tougher than the other unless we done both? Semper Fidelis:evilgrin:

YourPhoneIsMine
05-04-11, 12:19 AM
I've also heard of the exception that SSgt mentioned but no idea if it's still applicable. Otherwise, the three regions on the east side go east, three on the west go west.

http://i.imgur.com/KkHjN.png

And like SGT7477, it doesn't matter where you go. For a few weeks at MOS school you'll still talk about it with your fellow students, maybe joke a bit but no one in the fleet cares. Sand fleas on the east coast, mountains on the west. I prefer the latter, bugs **** me off.