PDA

View Full Version : Deployments

PDK509
04-28-11, 10:38 PM
OK Marines,
I haven't seen this covered here before so here goes. What are some of the longest deployments ya'll have experienced? what is average? I have heard all deployments are 8 months at most but I've herd otherwise as well.

GunRock0811
04-28-11, 10:52 PM
A typcial deployment is usually 7 months. I did one that was 7 months and another that was 12 months. It's going to depend on whats going on in the world, the needs of the Marine Corps, and what your unit's mission is for that given deployment.

PDK509
04-28-11, 10:59 PM
A typcial deployment is usually 7 months. I did one that was 7 months and another that was 12 months. It's going to depend on whats going on in the world, the needs of the Marine Corps, and what your unit's mission is for that given deployment.

Where were you deployed for 12 months?

5811USMC
04-29-11, 10:54 PM
Depending on what unit youre in they are normally 6 months of actual time in country...they give two weeks travel time both ways for a total of 7 months. There are some 12 month deployments for units in more of a support role (Logistics, admin. stuff like that) but most combat arms units go for 7. There are always exceptions but thats the norm from my experience. I did one to Iraq and one to Afghan both 7 months.

chulaivet1966
04-30-11, 10:01 AM
Wow....7 month deployments! (and a few 12 months)
I'm glad these deployments are down to one digit.
Especially, for those in harms' way, with kids or a bun in the oven at home.

It was 13 months damn near to the day for me (us).
I think the Army default was 12 months tours back then.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-30-11, 01:25 PM
Many Marines also get attached to a MEU, a Marine Expeditionary Unit. This is basically an infantry battalion reinforced with some armor and part of a helicopter squadron. They spend about seven months training for various missions ranging from an amphibious assault, hostage rescue, humanitarian aid (in a number of disasters like the 2004 tsunami, the MEU was one of the first organizations there with food, medical supplies and search & rescue teams) and a number of others. After a couple weeks or so off they then float around the world for seven months.

I don't remember where they go from the east coast but the ones on the west coast head to Hawaii then Australia and finally to a patrol around the indian ocean if I recall correctly. So while some deployment times range wildly, the standard is roughly seven months or fifteen months for a MEU.

GunRock0811
04-30-11, 02:29 PM
Where were you deployed for 12 months?

I was deployed to Iraq the first time for 7 months and 12 months the second time. I'm artillery, but we were doing civillian affairs my second deployment; which is why it was 12. Something about it not being considered an actual combat deployment.