PDA

View Full Version : Mos

BenV
04-26-11, 07:43 PM
i already took my oath into the marines but i have not picked my mos yet. im worried i can get stuck with somethig i dont wanna do. ANY advice will be welcomed. please

joseywales
04-26-11, 07:46 PM
evidently you dont wanna do a profile either. Just tell the marines you aint doing no mos you dont want.

BenV
04-26-11, 07:55 PM
i made one now, just got this. but what if i have to go to bootcamp in oct like i am without a mos? because i wanna do security forces but the job hasnt opened yet and recruiters dont know when they will.

Tookie22
04-26-11, 07:57 PM
You will not choose your MOS. You can choose a contract with a couple job fields then you put your thumb upyour azz and wait till the end of bootcamp. You make the decisions on what fields. Dont be a b!tc# and go for what intruiges you BUT dont be a dbag to your recruiter either. Find that balance to get what you want

Tookie22
04-26-11, 07:58 PM
So you want to be a grunt. It has been covered many times. Suck it up and wait and push your date back, or chose another mos. 03xx is the most popular mos in the Corps as you probably know so the decision is yours.

BenV
04-26-11, 08:02 PM
ok thanks for the input

BenV
04-26-11, 08:10 PM
just wondering but u said to push back my date if i have too...am i able to do that or will they just give me a hard time?

Tookie22
04-26-11, 08:13 PM
Im not going to lie they might get mad at the office, but honestly its not about making them happy. It is about you getting what you want to do for the next 4-5 yrs of your life. Yes you can be in the DEP for 365 days.

BenV
04-26-11, 08:16 PM
ok thanks

YourPhoneIsMine
04-26-11, 10:44 PM
Why would you take the oath without any idea what mos you're going for?

BadAce2212
04-26-11, 10:46 PM
Alot of people go to boot camp on an open contract.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-26-11, 10:50 PM
Which is perfectly understandable for those that don't care but if he's the type that's worried about getting a particular job then the question stands.

BadAce2212
04-27-11, 01:40 AM
Which is perfectly understandable for those that don't care but if he's the type that's worried about getting a particular job then the question stands.

True True.. I just wasn't thinking but thanks for the correction LCpl :thumbup:..BenV disregard what I said..Push for the job you want, even if requires waiting a little while longer.

BenV
04-27-11, 06:01 AM
Ok thanks. I did sign a open contract though I hope I didn't screw myself by doing so.

oscrmyr
04-27-11, 07:00 AM
Ok thanks. I did sign a open contract though I hope I didn't screw myself by doing so.
No, You did not screw yourself. Everyone, and I repeat EVERYONE Contracts into the Delayed Entry Program (DEP) as an Open Contract. While in the DEP there is sufficient time to choose the best Program Enlisted For (PEF) or job, for you. Your Recruiter should be sitting down with you and discussing your options while you are in the DEP. To be honest with you (BenV) you are sitting pretty right now, you are in the DEP, when the Infantry PEF's come out you will be one of the first to choose. You have until the day you ship to recruit training to decide what Program you want. Like everyone has said here before, Infantry is the most sought after Program (s) and is usually the first to be depleted, so you may want to jump on it as soon as that happens. Everyone MUST ship with a Program and yes "Open Contract" is a Program.:usmc:

BenV
04-27-11, 07:24 AM
Ok thanks. And if I wanna do security forces do you think that job will go fast or is it not as popular

oscrmyr
04-27-11, 07:34 AM
There are two Marine Corps Security Forces Programs, UV and UW. They do go fast but that is because there are not as many of them to hand out. Both have 5 yr Terms of Enlistment. Your Recruiter can go over the specifics for each such as Job Descr. and the criteria for each.

BenV
04-27-11, 08:19 AM
ok thanks for the info.

Joel70
04-28-11, 10:52 PM
You can quit being a poolee any time you want. You are only locked into the military once you swear in for the 2nd time. Do not go into the military without an mos picked, because they'll throw you anywhere they want, and you'll have no choice. Try hard to get a bonus for enlisting as well. For the most part, recruiters will only offer you a bonus only if they're having a hard time getting you to enlist. If you don't push for getting a bonus, you are probably not getting one.

Joel72
04-29-11, 12:23 PM
You can quit being a poolee anytime you want. You will only be locked in to the military after you swear in for the second time right before you ship.
Bug your recruiter all you need to until you get your job, and keep the above in mind in case he/she is not being helpful.
Shipping with an open contract is a risky decision.

Marine3451
04-29-11, 01:20 PM
You said you are leaving in October I believe which is an FY 12 enlistment. I believe the FY 12 spaces come out in the June to August timefrime. Just like Myself I am waiting for the Fy 12 FTAP boatspaces to be released so I can Get a reenlistment package in even though my contract is up in Oct(FY12). Good news for you is you will most likely have a fresh list to pick from.

Tennessee Top
04-30-11, 12:06 AM
Your profile needs to be completed (site rules).

Profile says you entered service 2006 and you're still a private. Only way that can happen is if you have been busted. In that case, you should not be on here giving advice to anybody.

Get yourself squared-away ASAP or a moderator will extract you from this site.

Tennessee Top
04-30-11, 12:22 AM
Are you also Joel70?

Your profile also needs to be completed.

Since when did they start putting privates on recruiting duty? Are you really qualified to be advising poolees on how bonuses work, recruiters operate, and their best options? Don't you think someone who has actually COMPLETED recruiters school may be more capable than a private?

Geez...privates should be seen and not heard! I certainly wouldn't want to be getting any advice from one.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-11, 01:34 AM
"Answers" deleted. No profile, no answers. Furthermore, until I see said profile, privledges to post in THIS section are revoked for "Joel" whatever.

Cpl Heglar
04-30-11, 05:18 AM
Nice to see an active Moderator on the forum.

Tennessee Top
04-30-11, 11:45 AM
Nice to see an active Moderator on the forum.

Sgt Lep has a fulltime job; he only does this part-time (to clean up our messes;)).:banana::banana:

Rocky C
04-30-11, 11:54 AM
Sgt Lep has a fulltime job; he only does this part-time (to clean up our messes;)).:banana:

:thumbup: X2

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-11, 05:06 PM
LOL. Sgt Lep also needs to take frequent vacations from time to time so he's fresh and smelling like Irish Spring....

:)