PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice from Marines/Former Marines

Tones847
04-25-11, 03:00 PM
Hello Marines, Former Marines, Poolees, and friends! This is my first post on the website so I apoligize ahead of time if I don't seem 100% squared away yet. I'm currently in the DEP, with my ship month being August of this year. I've been starting to become extremely disappointed with my experience thus far. My recruiter is leaving our RS soon, so I've kinda started to get the vibe that he doesnt really give a sh** anymore about needs/wants I have. For example, I've been asking to retest for the ASVAB ever since the first time I took it, because of an extremely unsatisfactory score(Which I am completely confident I could bring up alot). All I ever get is 'beat around the bush' type answers and/or ignored calls and texts (and not at all am I being annoying about any of this to him by the way). I've also told him that the job I want the most is Infantry(why I chose the Marine Corps in the first place), however all I ever got from saying that, was something along the lines of "There's no slots open for Infantry, so you'll have to choose something else". There's nothing more I want in this world than to fight side-by-side with the most motivated men and women there is, and earn the title of Marine, but it's really starting to become more disappointing than anything. Any info/advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lisa 23
04-25-11, 03:35 PM
First, PM Sgt Leprechaun and ask him to move this to the Ask A Marine forum where you can get answers from some recruiters who do come on this site from time to time. Not all Marines have posting privileges here in the poolee forum.....and double posting is not allowed, either.

Second, there are no "former Marines"...Once A Marine, Always a Marine.

Third, your recruiter isn't bsing you about slots not being open for infantry. If infantry was what YOU really wanted, then you can either hold out until you get an infantry contract, which means your ship date will change and being in the DEP until one opens up, or take what you have and go with it. Remember....this is YOUR life for the next few years. Don't go blaming YOUR recruiter because YOU didn't get what YOU wanted.

Fourth, instead of calling or texting your recruiter, trying going to the office and talking with him face-to-face. You get more accomplished that way.

Fifth, with you being in the DEP and your ship date in August of this year, I'm not quite sure on this, but you may not be able to re-take the ASVAB.

Sixth, while it might seem like your recruiter is blowing you off, he's not. Your recruiter has other potential applicants that he's trying to get signed....and I'm sure he's also looking forward to getting back to the Fleet.

Tones847
04-25-11, 04:00 PM
Thank you for correcting my wrongs Sir, and I have sent a PM requesting the thread to be moved. I have considered postponing my ship date to get Infantry like you suggested, and that's actually one thing I have yet to talk to my recruiter about. The time I was actually able to sit down and talk with him about re-testing, all he said was that I could, but he didn't really want me to because if I got a lower score I would be DQ'd. Now I'm not saying in anyway that I'm ridiculously smart, but there's no way in hell I'm getting anything lower. As far as him having other potential applicants to talk to, I understand, but wouldn't recruiters also be worried about KEEPING current poolees just as much? I do know he greatly is looking forward to going back to the fleet.

MunkyVsRobot
04-25-11, 04:46 PM
SHE is not a sir.. Just preparing you. I would also refrain from insulting your recruiter on here he or she could be a member of this site, also you have no idea the paperwork and hours of work they have to put in just to get you in the system.

and I can also only +1 all the rest of what softball is saying. Unfortunately I do not rate at the moment but everything she says is correct.

BadAce2212
04-25-11, 05:53 PM
My recruiter is leaving our RS soon, so I've kinda started to get the vibe that he doesnt really give a sh** anymore about needs/wants I have. For example, I've been asking to retest for the ASVAB ever since the first time I took it, because of an extremely unsatisfactory score(Which I am completely confident I could bring up alot). All I ever get is 'beat around the bush' type answers and/or ignored calls and texts (and not at all am I being annoying about any of this to him by the way). I've also told him that the job I want the most is Infantry(why I chose the Marine Corps in the first place), however all I ever got from saying that, was something along the lines of "There's no slots open for Infantry, so you'll have to choose something else". There's nothing more I want in this world than to fight side-by-side with the most motivated men and women there is, and earn the title of Marine, but it's really starting to become more disappointing than anything. Any info/advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Your recruiter has alot on his plate with being a recruiter, on top of that getting ready to get back in the fleet. Doesn't mean he doesn't care about your wants/needs.
2. If you scored decent on the asvab to where you qualify for the MOS you want then there is no need for him to send you to retake the ASVAB. Its a waste of time.
3. As Softball said instead of calling/texting him go see him face to face.
4. When your recruiter said there are no Infantry slots it was probably the 100% truth. Years ago when I was a poolee I knew other poolees that were waiting to get an infantry slot. I was in the DEP, went to Parris Island, earned the title, came home and they were still in the DEP waiting. Some were gonna be waiting awhile. So if thats what you REALLY WANT then my advice to you is that you'll have to hang in there and wait for a slot to open. Use the time to improve your PT. Some things are worth waiting for. Wish all the best for you and hang in there. Hope something I said was useful.:usmc:

Lisa 23
04-25-11, 06:14 PM
Thank you for correcting my wrongs Sir,
As far as him having other potential applicants to talk to, I understand, but wouldn't recruiters also be worried about KEEPING current poolees just as much? I do know he greatly is looking forward to going back to the fleet.

1......check profiles, that's why we fill them out to know who we are talking to.

2.....my avatar is a dead give away of who I am.

3......your recruiter cares about you, it's just that you're already signed and ready to ship, as to where he's looking for others to sign up and go through the process of taking the ASVAB, going through MEPS and so on.......that those of you who are poolees in the DEP already did.
I hope that makes sense.

Tennessee Top
04-25-11, 07:56 PM
The Army recruiters have a lot of extra time on their hands. Maybe it's not too late to bother them?

Tones847
04-25-11, 09:11 PM
Sorry about my failure to pay attention to detail SoftballCatch, and thank you very much your advice makes complete sense!

MonkeyvsRobot, I never disrespected my recruiter at all. I completely respect him as a advisor and Marine. I just feel like he's been avoiding me for the most part.

Thank you BadAce for more great inforomation, I appreciate it alot.

Tennesse Top, did you not see the part of my post where I said there's nothing more that I want than to be fighting with Marines? I never said anything about having a desire to speak with the Army, so how is your post giving me advice? I mean no disrespect, but my request for advice is serious, if I requested for people to 'Troll' me than your post would make complete sense.

BadAce2212
04-25-11, 09:29 PM
Thank you BadAce for more great inforomation, I appreciate it alot.

No problem, Thats what we're here for, to help to the best of our abilities. Again good luck in your endeavors.

Joel70
04-28-11, 11:22 PM
You can quit being a poolee anytime you want. You are only locked in to the military after you swear in for the second time right before you ship.
Make sure you get the job you want, because you will be doing that job for the next four years or so. A good time to pick a job, since many jobs will be open, is during the beginning of the new fiscal year (in October).
My cousin, for example, told his recruiter that he would not join until the job he wanted was open. In the end, he got the job he wanted.
There are good recruiters, and there are bad ones, just like with anything else. Just remember that in the end, they all have a job to do, and that is to get as many people to join. I hope this helps.

Joel70
04-28-11, 11:30 PM
Another thing: forget about all these people talking garbage about talking to the army, air force... etc. Talk to all of them. That way you can make a more informed decision. If you like infantry, I think the USMC is best for you. However, the Air Force will offer you a better quality of life. Every branch has its pluses and minuses.

Sources: Personal experience

Sgt Leprechaun
04-30-11, 01:00 AM
1: The MSgt was offering sound advice. He is not a 'troll'. Next time you'll get a week in the box. No warnings will be given.

2: Get the job YOU want that YOU are qualified for. However, that may mean dropping from DEP and completely starting over. And then, "Infantry" may not be available.

3: What job do you have now?

4: Re-taking the ASVAB isn't really an option, nor is it a priority for the recruiter. Plus, unless you've been cramming, and have a study guide, you won't score higher. Statistics PROVE that. This is also why they usually make you wait a year until you can retest for score. Furthermore, if you re-test it means more paperwork all the way around.

5: So, either suck it up and deal with what you have now, or pester them until they let you re-take it. But know this, if you get lower, or the same numbers, it may invalidate the MOS you have at this point, or make you inelegible for 'Infantry'.

6: Other branches are fine. However, this is a Marine Corps website.

Bruce59
04-30-11, 08:39 AM
Ok, think of the Marine Corps as a large private company, and your recruiter as one of many personnel managers in this large company.
These are the job opening they have at the moment, this is a way of getting your foot in the door, as many here have all ready said, take
it or leave it. And by the way, all Marines are infantry, its our nature,
its what we do. I could tell you of Marines who were not infantry and
ended up in combat, a Marine helicopter mechanic with two silver stars
and a bronze star, or a helicopter crew chief with the Medal of Honor,
and so many more. Ok, now the balls in your court, its time to make up
your mind, are you in or are you out.

Phantom Blooper
04-30-11, 08:43 AM
Looking for some advice from Marines/Former Marines

Don't eat yellow snow.....

Devil1087
04-30-11, 12:33 PM
Sometimes recruiters really DON'T have that contract for you. You could check by going up the chain of command if he's not telling you straight up that there are no slots. But it builds trust issues if you're going to go behind his back up the chain of command, on the hunch that you think he's lying.

So if joe schmoe comes in and magically gets a infantry contract after you've been waiting, that might be qualms to ask "wtf, over?"

m14ed
04-30-11, 06:21 PM
Looking for some advice from Marines

Don't eat yellow snow.....

#2 don't spit into the wind
#3 don't try to pi** up a rope

5811USMC
04-30-11, 10:46 PM
He's probly telling the truth about there being no slots. When I came in I had the same issue it was going to be a 6 month wait to ship to boot camp then at least another 6 after bootcamp before ITB. So I came in as an MP. I was at my first duty station for almost a year before the 03's I knew from the dep finally hit the fleet. If its worth waiting to you then tell them you'll only go as an 03, but know that the Corps as a whole is pretty full right now so it may be a pretty long wait.

Tennessee Top
05-01-11, 12:45 AM
#4...don't tug on superman's cape!

This is fun!!

Tennessee Top
05-01-11, 11:56 AM
Tennesse Top, did you not see the part of my post where I said there's nothing more that I want than to be fighting with Marines? I never said anything about having a desire to speak with the Army, so how is your post giving me advice? I mean no disrespect, but my request for advice is serious, if I requested for people to 'Troll' me than your post would make complete sense.

Yes, I did read that part and I know you never said anything about having a desire to speak with the Army.

It's just that you're whining so much I figured the Army would suit your needs better. Their motto is "Be all you can be" and since it's all about you they just seem like a better fit.

Back in the Vietnam era (before the all-volunteer force), nobody ever asked us what job we would like, but we still managed somehow. And, if we didn't like what our recruiter told us guess what...we either joined anyway (because we wanted to be a Marine) or we didn't...amazing concept isn't it?

Now, I know you're going to say "well it ain't the Vietnam era anymore" and you are correct. In the all-volunteer military, you get catered to a little more (I can't figure out why since we have more people serving today than we need).

You asked for advice so here goes. If you don't like what your recruiter is telling you then don't enlist...that was easy.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-01-11, 05:48 PM
And, the MSgt gets the last word. Why? Because I said so. Get used to THAT line, too...throughout the military.

Question asked and answered.