PDA

View Full Version : sulfa

green333
04-25-11, 11:59 AM
hey my mother just told me that i had an allergic reaction to sulfa when i was a child and i have informed my recruiter but i have to get the medical document today, anyway just wondering this is not going to disqualify me is it

joseywales
04-25-11, 12:04 PM
hey, is this for real? are we doctors? are we recruiters? Ask a recruiter.

USNAviator
04-25-11, 12:34 PM
hey my mother just told me that i had an allergic reaction to sulfa when i was a child and i have informed my recruiter but i have to get the medical document today, anyway just wondering this is not going to disqualify me is it

That's virtually impossible to answer unless some one on here has had the same thing. Best for you to let your recruiter handle this matter. He's eminently more qualified that most of us. Good luck to you though

Cpl Heglar
04-25-11, 12:55 PM
Don't eat matches.

Old Marine
04-25-11, 05:05 PM
Don't eat matches.

LOL. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-25-11, 09:49 PM
LOL. Disqualifed, requires a waiver I'm sure. Recruiter can tell you for sure.

Cpl Heglar
04-27-11, 08:19 AM
LOL. Disqualifed, requires a waiver I'm sure. Recruiter can tell you for sure.

Yes I aggree Sgt. If you can't eat gun powder you shouldn't be allowed in!

green333
04-27-11, 09:03 AM
the doctors dont even know if im allergic to the sulfa they think it was something else plus ive been around gun powder all my life never had any problems plus sulfa is kinda different than sulfur which is what is in gun powder

Sgt Leprechaun
04-29-11, 06:26 PM
It was a JOKE. Again...doctors know more than us.

Zulu 36
04-29-11, 07:11 PM
Seriously, you should visit an immunologist and get tested for sulfa sensitivity. Sulfa was heavily used before penicillin came along, but it is still in use. Sulfa allergies are not uncommon.

You need to know for certain if you are allergic to sulfa or not. It could be lifesaving knowledge. They let people in with penicillin allergies, and sulfa isn't used as much, so I can't see it as a permanent DQ. If tests determine you aren't allergic to sulfa, then case closed, no need to mention it to a recruiter.

BTW, SULFONAMIDE (Sulfa) is NOT the same as SULFUR (the gunpowder ingredient). Eat all the match heads you want (just kidding).

Sgt Leprechaun
04-29-11, 07:16 PM
Bingo.

Phantom Blooper
04-29-11, 07:53 PM
SULFONAMIDE (Sulfa)

Is not allergy that you want to play with....

Get it checked and make sure.....as with allot of allergies...sulfa drugs don't play.....you can possibly go into anaphylactic shock the second time if allergic and you can possibly be pushin' up clover.

Take the advice and have it checked....

If you do become a Marine....you will be made and issued a red tag for your dogtags....

If you make it to the fleet or wing....let your corpsman know.

green333
04-30-11, 08:38 AM
thanks for the help guys

Lisa 23
04-30-11, 06:35 PM
thanks for the help guys

Yes, this does bother me....how about thanks Marines, not guys.