PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances becoming a field radio operator?

itsy
04-24-11, 05:17 PM
So I got a Communications/Utilities contract my highest score ont he ASVAB was EL. What are my chances of becoming a field radio operator? Do I get a say so at all? Anyone from communications.. can you help me out I just want to get an idea of what it will be like.

itsy
04-24-11, 05:23 PM
This contract program code is 'DB' and another thing to add was that my ASVAB was pretty low but once again my EL was the highest part. I hear with a low asvab they will just put me in that field.. Really want to get into 1100 and work with electronics. Would of choose electronic maintnance but that was unavailable to me.

AjC
04-24-11, 05:38 PM
It depends on your line scores, and what the Marine Corps needs at that point in time. Don't focus on that though - work towards, and through, Bootcamp and MCT, and earn the title United States Marine before you earn whatever MOS you'll end up having.

Devil1087
04-24-11, 08:40 PM
Why would you WANT to carry a radio..

Tennessee Top
04-24-11, 10:27 PM
Besides your radio (and extra batteries) being added weight to hump; do you realize it's like putting a huge target for enemy snipers on your back (our snipers target enemy communicators)?

Still want to strap one on? Really?

itsy
04-24-11, 11:10 PM
Besides your radio (and extra batteries) being added weight to hump; do you realize it's like putting a huge target for enemy snipers on your back (our snipers target enemy communicators)?

Still want to strap one on? Really?
I don't want to be a radio operator. why I'm asking this.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-25-11, 01:50 AM
If you don't want to risk being one then don't ship until you have a contract with the specific MOS you want.

Mxzero
04-25-11, 03:16 AM
A radio antenna is about a foot high and a radio plus extra batteries adds about 10 extra pounds. This isn't Vietnam with the giant 20 foot whips anymore. But yeah, just make sure you sign the contract that says what you want and they can't force you into it unless you mess up or fail out of school.

oscrmyr
04-25-11, 08:49 AM
If you don't want to risk being one then don't ship until you have a contract with the specific MOS you want.

For one thing Marines do not contract/ship for a specific MOS. You choose a Program which has OccFields such as the DB (Communications/Electrician) 0600 Com OccField and 1100 Utilities OccField.
Once you get to school, there will be a placement exam and your ASVAB scores will come into play to choose the path you will take. :usmc:
Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
04-25-11, 09:41 PM
Yeah....I hated the gig myself. Get something else if you can.

itsy
04-25-11, 10:48 PM
Really want to know what a typical day looks like in afghanistan attached to an infantry unit as a radio operator.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-25-11, 10:51 PM
Uhhh....humping with the grunts, radio on your back. High level of suck.

Devil1087
04-25-11, 11:23 PM
there is a difference between getting the billet of RO and 0621 though, 0621's don't always go to the grunts, they can go to the wing, arty batteries, tanks, aav's, etc.

one of the less pogy pog mos'

dizark
04-26-11, 01:11 AM
A radio antenna is about a foot high and a radio plus extra batteries adds about 10 extra pounds. This isn't Vietnam with the giant 20 foot whips anymore. But yeah, just make sure you sign the contract that says what you want and they can't force you into it unless you mess up or fail out of school.

Really? Only a foot high?

Here is an example of two types of antennas we use with the actual name:

3FT Tape
10FT Whip

Where does it say 1FT in there? Sure, you can fold it down but to get maximum effectiveness, you'd rock it high in the sky.

Of course, we're considered sniper targets because of our antennas. Take out comm, the unit is screwed... somewhat, since most Marines these days know the basics on how to use a radio. (referring to the grunts since I'm with an infantry battalion and teach classes to them).

Also, your statement on a radio and extra batteries adding 10 extra pounds is an understatement.

Anyways, being a RO assigned to an infantry battalion isn't all that fun. In fact, being a RO in general isn't all that fun. I actually prefer to be deployed overseas because the amount of lame, retarded, bull**** busy work you do in the Comm Shop back in garrison, makes it hell.

Just know that if you signed the contract for it, you're probably going to get RO, because they're in demand. I signed a 06xx/11xx contract, and look what they assigned me.

Semper Gumby is what I say.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-26-11, 01:15 AM
"busy work you do in the Comm Shop back in garrison, makes it hell."

Oh, truer words have NEVER been spoken! Because you can only inventory the gear, PM the radios, practice setting up the radios (which won't work if you don't have freqs don't even try in garrison) PM vehicles....

It isn't fun. Not even remotely.

Basically, this is one of those jobs that if you aren't actually 'doing' it (in the field) then someone is trying to find something else for you to do so you are 'busy'.

dizark
04-26-11, 01:44 AM
Yes... yes.. yes! I hate record jackets and think it's not only a waste of time, but a waste of paper.

I really have a distaste for my job. haha

Sgt Leprechaun
04-26-11, 01:51 AM
Bro...believe me, I feel your pain. I was finally able to lat move back to my original Intel MOS after 2 and a half years of dealing with all that crap.

Record jackets.......*shudder*. I was somewhat lucky in that, since I could type and write, I was Training NCO as a Cpl, then Platoon Sergeant. But it was still a constant, never ending, headache. Then Comm Company at the 'G'....yeeek. "Sgt G why are your Marines not PM'ING RADIOS WHY ARE THEY JUST SITTING AROUND WHY AREN'T THEY TRAINING THEY COULD BE LEARNING SYSTEMS BLAH ARGLEBLAHBLAHBLAH". I'd grab an OE-254 and a few Marines, find a monkey trail someplace, and just go chill for an afternoon every chance I got just to keep the frakkers from messing with my Marines...and me.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-26-11, 03:34 AM
For one thing Marines do not contract/ship for a specific MOS. You choose a Program which has OccFields such as the DB (Communications/Electrician) 0600 Com OccField and 1100 Utilities OccField.
Once you get to school, there will be a placement exam and your ASVAB scores will come into play to choose the path you will take. :usmc:
Semper Fi
mea culpa, I was thinking from a reserve point of view

Tookie22
04-26-11, 07:32 AM
I had a high asvab was told I would be doing data or something all high tech... 0621. It isnt that bad ya we have the 152 with batteries and 3 ft you are set. If you venture outside the wire and plan on going more than 5 clicks, the good man up top made it easy the new 117Golfs are glorious. Humping with that isnt bad. I feel worse for the 31 who humps the 240. The weights not a main issue. If you are an RO in a grunt unit in a line company then expect to be crossed trained to more infantry knowledge but never forget that you are the RO and always remember your reports and call them up when necessary. Just dont be the guys that chokes.

itsy
04-26-11, 01:01 PM
Lol so far I've heard nothing but bad things on this thread but from my research and asking Marines in the commucations feild tell me you have a big influence on what you want to do. If you want to go out on patrol with the grunts you will have the opportunity and if you want to stay behind the wires you can. And they tell me most of the better radio ops get sent to line company. Sounds pretty good to me! Appretiate everyones feedback. Thank you.