PDA

View Full Version : Boot camp questions

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:16 PM
hi wondering what goes on in boot camp, found out a lot about it but still have some questions, I hope this is the right placve to ask them if it is okay.
I am soon to graduate, wanted to know if my parents can visit me before grad day even if I dont make honor grad or PFC can they stilll come down, there is a place near Paris Island I know they can stay at
Have more questions but do not want to take up too much of your time. Thank you marines in advance for helping me with these things, my parents are okay with my decision to join up, all my questions about boot camp itself, if i do my own laundry and what are weekends like, do we train just as hard as monday through friday gotta end it now or I will have too many questions, thank you

gkmoz
04-23-11, 08:26 PM
Weekends are just another training day. No visitors before graduation day. If your parents came on base ? I imagine they could "eyeball" you in training, but I don't think it would be beneficial to YOU if they tried to make contact !!
Jus sayin !! :evilgrin:

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:29 PM
I was reading where we would have weeknds off, and if my parents eyeballed me, that would be just looking ,but not visiting. They would still be ableto come down event though they could not sit and talk, i understand i will be too busy training
No matter where i look online I can't find certain questions answered. I have a lot of answers but not all of them, still looking. Thank you for the advice I have so far

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:46 PM
I read also that we make our own beds with not too much time to make them up. I have never been good about making one, things like this make me think I might have problems but I also know they teach you all you need to know. And I can hardly wait to become a marine, trying not to even think about the crucible. My brother's friend is in the marines and gets Leatherneck magazine and I read it, its pretty interesting. That got me going in the direction im in now, towards the corps

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:50 PM
thank you, sir a big salute to you for helping me out here. Your right I will try to take it a day at a time and just read more articles

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:53 PM
I want to be the best marine that ever got to boot camp and make it through. I know my drill sergeants will see the way i give them a hundred percent all the time, too. thank you to all of you.

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 08:57 PM
Check these sites out, it will give you an idea of what boot camp is about......

12 weeks Overview

12 WEEKS, 2 PERSPECTIVES

Real footage of Marine Corps recruit training.

http://www.marines.com/main/index/making_marines/recruit_training/marine-bootcamp

================================================== ======

Recruit Training

http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/training/index.asp

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 08:59 PM
Thank you miss, I will be able to learn all I need to know so when I get there and prepare to earn the medal I will know more about what they are doing and why they do it. I never like to do things without knowing why first

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 09:00 PM
I want to be the best marine that ever got to boot camp and make it through. I know my drill sergeants will see the way i give them a hundred percent all the time, too. thank you to all of you.

The Marine Corps doesn't have drill Sergeants, the Marine Corps has Drill Instructors......and we capitalize Marines on this site.
You may want to familiarize yourself with the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

Old Marine
04-23-11, 09:00 PM
Maybe Aloha Marine can meet you at the gate before he gets out.

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 09:01 PM
Thank you miss, I will be able to learn all I need to know so when I get there and prepare to earn the medal I will know more about what they are doing and why they do it. I never like to do things without knowing why first

We EARN the Eagle Globe and Anchor, not a medal.

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 09:02 PM
who is aloha
Sorry, was typing too fast for my own good, will capitalize Marines and yes I knew Drill Instructors but had just been looking over information about army basic and lackland air force base training at the same time

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 09:02 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if we have ourselves a troll, or a bored Marine here.

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 09:03 PM
Medal I meant as shooting medal when I qualify the expert range not marksman or sharpshooter, at least I read that far in my google efforts so far

Lisa 23
04-23-11, 09:04 PM
Medal I meant as shooting medal when I qualify the expert range not marksman or sharpshooter, at least I read that far in my google efforts so far

They are called badges.....

Old Marine
04-23-11, 09:13 PM
Thank you miss, I will be able to learn all I need
to know so when I get there and prepare to earn the medal I will know more about what they are doing and why they do it. I never like to do things without knowing why first

Do not worry about asking why you are given an order to do something. Your new found friend who is called a Drill Instructor will gladly sit you down and explain why you have to do everything they say. If you still have problems with what they tell you, they will let you play in the sandbox.:evilgrin:

Old Marine
04-23-11, 09:22 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if we have ourselves a troll, or a bored Marine here.

Really makes you wonder sometimes.

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 09:31 PM
Well said, Willie. No need to know it all up front. As I said some time ago, someday boot camp will be entirely online. LOL

I'm not trying to sound like a complete idiot its just that the world I've grown up in is very privileged. I guess I'm very naive but while my classmates are heading to Harvard, Yale and God forbid Brown I want to be one of the truly elite not elitist

So I think given my background my questions are very germain, and no the Germans have nothing to with it. Do we really make our own beds? If I don't like my DI can I request a different one?

Tennessee Top
04-23-11, 09:38 PM
I don't believe it. Sounds too fishy to me too. Nobody is this naive. He has attended college (not a 16 year-old wannabe like some).

Not falling for it.

Old Marine
04-23-11, 09:50 PM
If this guy is for real (which I doubt), I'm really glad that I no longer have to walk over to Receiving and find him standing on the footprints. If he is for real, I feel sorry for the Drill Instructor team who happens to get him.

USNAviator
04-23-11, 09:52 PM
I don't believe it. Sounds too fishy to me too. Nobody is this naive. He has attended college (not a 16 year-old wannabe like some).

Not falling for it.

Top I grew up with people like this, I went to same high school as McCain. My parents could not afford to board me. Chauncey is a product of a generation that has bucks up the butt. I'd be very surprised to hear he did not attend a private kindergarten, probably costing $40k/year, no joke. I think we have to excuse his ignorance and embrace the fact that he has the gumption to serve

Chauncey122
04-23-11, 10:03 PM
All I need is the chance. Trying to find out all I can ahead of time.

Tennessee Top
04-23-11, 10:20 PM
Commander,

Even very rich people watch TV, read a book/magazine, or see a movie now and then. Anybody college age today certainly would've been exposed to enough military-related information during their lives to know the difference between bootcamp and band camp.

Don't let him play you sir.

USNAviator
04-23-11, 10:30 PM
Commander,

Even very rich people watch TV, read a book/magazine, or see a movie now and then. Anybody college age today certainly would've been exposed to enough military-related information during their lives to know the difference between bootcamp and band camp.

Don't let him play you sir.

You're most likely right Top. I think this is a rich sons cluster f$ck Playing us and me in particular for a fool. All I'm trying to do is help out a young man or woman who wants to join the Corps or who is looking for some intel re. going the officers route, whether it be Marines or Navy

Thanks Top, much appreciated

YourPhoneIsMine
04-24-11, 01:10 AM
I'm not trying to sound like a complete idiot its just that the world I've grown up in is very privileged. I guess I'm very naive but while my classmates are heading to Harvard, Yale and God forbid Brown I want to be one of the truly elite not elitist

So I think given my background my questions are very germain, and no the Germans have nothing to with it. Do we really make our own beds? If I don't like my DI can I request a different one?

Don't worry, given the way you structure your sentences you wouldn't have made it into Brown in the first place. Your best bet would have been Dartmouth, they have an outstanding lego facility.

radioback
04-24-11, 04:40 AM
still sounds kinda fishy. most people that are really interested and have gone to the poolee events would know a little more than ,what im assuming is a he, is awaiting to go into recruit training.

Old Marine
04-24-11, 09:32 AM

Not falling for it.

Attending college is one thing. Attending and going to class is something more. Common sence should come into play pretty soon. Maybe there is not a light above the shoulders that can be turned on. I have seen some very non educated Pvts while I was training them, but the ones I dealt with had good excuses. :sick:

m14ed
04-24-11, 03:12 PM
Sounds more like a Tarbaby to me.

Tennessee Top
04-24-11, 06:51 PM
If I'm wrong, and this dunce IS legit...do we REALLY want to give him a loaded weapon?

YourPhoneIsMine
04-24-11, 08:10 PM
eh, dumber people have graduated boot camp before him and dumber will continue to do so. I see rockers in his future :p

michagnu
04-24-11, 09:54 PM
Don't worry, given the way you structure your sentences you wouldn't have made it into Brown in the first place. Your best bet would have been Dartmouth, they have an outstanding lego facility.

He'd be lucky to get a GED.

Chauncey122 the word you are looking for is germane not germain. Germain is usually used to refer to Sophie Germain a French mathematician. The Germans had more to do with it than you think but not as much as the Romans.

germanus - Latin - brother; root germ
germ - Latin - seed or embryo

The Germans are called so by non-Germans because the Romans called the region where they lived Germania and the people Germanus because they spoke related, brother, languages.
Germane was the Anglo-franko adoption of the Latin term useing the same meaning which is why we now use it to mean closely related or relevent.

SGT7477
04-24-11, 10:20 PM
They still give out the chitters badge, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-25-11, 06:03 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Classic.

Tennessee Top
04-25-11, 07:47 PM
Sgt Lep, please don't encourage fatty:)

Sgt Leprechaun
04-25-11, 07:49 PM
In his defense, he is more than helpful in this section and has good responses. I back him 100 percent....even if I disagree with him in the other areas LOL.