PDA

View Full Version : Do you get to choose your MOS specialty?

melgunit
04-20-11, 12:37 PM
I signed up under the motor transport field but i was never told what specific job ill be doing like mechanic or vehicle operator

Cpl Heglar
04-20-11, 12:44 PM
You should speak with your recruiter. Ask him what MOS he assigned you. I scored high on the ASVAB and got to choose any MOS except Cryptologic 8800. Unless the rules have changed you decide what you are going to do during your service to the USMC.

Marine3451
04-20-11, 12:44 PM
That because you dont pick a specialty it gets assigned at MCT based on the needs of the Marine Corps.

Marine3451
04-20-11, 12:48 PM
You should speak with your recruiter. Ask him what MOS he assigned you. I scored high on the ASVAB and got to choose any MOS except Cryptologic 8800. Unless the rules have changed you decide what you are going to do during your service to the USMC.
This isnt true anymore. You pick a field that contains several MOS's and the Marine Corps can put you in anyone of those MOS's. Fortunatly for the poolee their isnt very many MOS's that fall under Motor T. Prob be a mechanic most likely.

Cpl Heglar
04-20-11, 12:51 PM
That because you dont pick a specialty it gets assigned at MCT based on the needs of the Marine Corps.

So Devil Dog when you join what MOS gets assigned something like 6000 and after your schooling such as Aviation School they would assign you 6434 depending on the needs at that time?

Semper FI

:usmc:

Marine3451
04-20-11, 01:12 PM
So Devil Dog when you join what MOS gets assigned something like 6000 and after your schooling such as Aviation School they would assign you 6434 depending on the needs at that time?

Semper FI

:usmc:
When I joined I had a supply and accounting contract which covers some 3000,3400, and 6000 Mos fields and when I got to MCT they told me I would go to school to be a 3451 but of course your MOS at that point would be 3400 until graduation from MOS school

Sgt Leprechaun
04-20-11, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Cpl, things have changed somewhat. Now it's just the 'basic' (such as, for example 0300...) MOS you sign up for...once you get to MCT then they give you your actual 'job' and go from there.

Cpl Heglar
04-21-11, 07:12 AM
Glad I went in when I did. I actually signed up as a 0400 but my dear Daddy Dearest would not sign the early enlistment form until I chose something with a computer speciality.