PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment age.

chuck123
04-18-11, 07:32 PM
I am currently 20 years old and am a sophomore at the University of Montana. I plan to go to PLC not this summer but the next (2012). My reason is I have already committed to a Forest Tech/Fire fighter job this summer. I will be 21 when I go for the first time at PLC (Only 6 weeks because I still have 3 years of college, 3 summers) and will be 23 when I graduate. So my question is if I decide to enlist rather than continue to OCS will I be too old or viewed as too old among the younger recruits or drill instructors. I will be in good physical condition because my job is in the woods and has been for 2 years, also I will be going to PLC for half of the summer. Any and all advice is appreciated.

USNAviator
04-18-11, 07:47 PM
I see you found the right place. Why do you want to go enlisted after you graduate? With PLC behind you, why not go the officers route? <br />
<br />
I'm enclosing a link to PLC. Perhaps you may have seen it....

chuck123
04-18-11, 08:03 PM
Yes Sir, I have read that website. I only question becoming an officer because I'm not sure if that's what i want to do or If i would rather become an enlisted Marine. I still have to do a lot of...

USNAviator
04-18-11, 08:09 PM
Yes Sir, I have read that website. I only question becoming an officer because I'm not sure if that's what i want to do or If i would rather become an enlisted Marine. I still have to do a lot of thinking about which direction to take but one thing is for sure the Marine Corps is definitely for me. My main fear is that 23 is too old, I'm not worried about working with or even taking orders from younger people that already happens in the Forest Service but I just feel that my prime years will already be behind me. As always Thank you for all the advice.

No problem Chuck. It seems as if you've thought this trough but you wouldn't be the oldest boot in Corps. At 23, your prime years are so far ahead of you but you can't see what I can.

I'm sure that a few others will stop buy and offer you some advice.

Good luck to you Chuck no matter what you decide

YourPhoneIsMine
04-19-11, 02:23 AM
you won't be too old. some people - including drill instructors on occasion - may even ask you for advice on things they wouldn't know about being either fresh out of home or having spent their entire time in the military since leaving home. it may be frustrating at times taking orders from someone younger than you but you'll deal with it when you realize that they won't treat you like an 18 year old kid (as long as you don't act like one)

in boot camp you may or may not be treated differently by your DIs, it all depends on their moods, but they will still expect more out of you

Marine3451
04-19-11, 05:58 AM
I was 24 when i joined and now im 28. If anything it helped me because once I hit the fleet I worked harder where some of the younger kids i worked with goofed off too much.