PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

longhaul
04-17-11, 11:37 PM
Hello everybody. Sorry to just wander in and ask a question in my first post, but I need some advice and I would like to hear from more than just the Marines at my RSS and the XO in my area (more on that later). Anyways, as the title says I have two questions:

1) I know you guys don't take to kindly to MARSOC/Recon questions since they normally come from kids who have just played a little to much Call of Duty, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this one. I have googled away and searched the forums for information on MARSOC, but the information that I am finding isn't matching up with some of the stuff that I am hearing. The requirements that I am seeing (granted they are a few years old) say that they are only looking for Marines nearing the end of their first term, but a couple of Marines coming out of bootcamp say that you can indicate that you want to join MARSOC right after ITB and if you can qualify you are in, much like Recon I believe. However that doesn't seem quite right to me, I figured that they would have much more rigid standards. Anyways I guess my first question is: Who is right on this one?

2) I joined the DEP this year because I wanted to get away from school for a while and have some great experiences and be able to eventually call myself one of America's finest. But while I was taking the ASVAB I got a fairly high score which prompted my recruiter to submit me for the NROTC scholarship, and I agreed figuring I probably wouldn't get it. Well here I am a few months later and I got the scholarship. Everyone around me is telling me to take it (Especially the XO of my RS and my parents), but going to college and being a commissioned officer isn't why I wanted to join the Corps. As every one seems keen to point out to me, this scholarship is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, but I feel that being an enlisted Marine is one too. I'm really struggling with this decision but right now I am leaning towards going through with the DEP and turning down the scholarship. Any thoughts on the matter?

Sorry again to join and post, but my deadline to decide for NROTC is coming up fast. Any insights on either question would be greatly appreciated.

martinj
04-18-11, 01:54 AM
Well I can help you with your first question. As far as people not taking kindly to Recon/MARSOC questions well... they can go fvck themselves they are just upset they didnt try and do it:cry:. But I haven't heard of anybody coming straight out of ITB and going to MARSOC. Your best bet too get into MARSOC is going Recon first and then at the end of your first deployment/enlistment put in your package to go to selection. But be wary Recon and MARSOC are going two separate ways. In the near future MARSOC is going too primarily going to be doing green beret type missions i.e. teaching foreign troops how to fight. Dont get me wrong they will still be BA but direct action/recon will not be the main focus. Recon is going to be the rough and tough guys who love living out in the jungles doing deep recon taking the fight to the enemy type missions. It just depends on what you think you will like doing.

SSgt Lamie
04-18-11, 09:41 AM
If the scholarship isn't something that you were really wanting to do then you always have the right to turn it down. There is always the chance for you to persue Officer routes after you are enlisted.

I hate to put it this way, but your Recruiter and the XO want you to take it so that it looks better for them. Every RS receives a mission for NROTC applicants during a year and really push hard to make it. Your Recruiter may be in line to receive some sort of award for you receiving the scholarship. Because of this they will really be on you to accept the scholarship and go to college. Ultimately the decision is yours to make. I suggest that you sit down with your parents and your Recruiter and weigh all your options and make it known what you want to do.

Marine3451
04-18-11, 01:17 PM
You have to be A Cpl to put in a MARSOC Package being recon first will be benifiacal as far as actually passing A&S but not a requirement and they do have a prep course now for A&S if your already in good shape. I'd say take the scholership as it will give more oppertunities being an officer but thats just my opinion but the pay is better.

USNAviator
04-18-11, 07:26 PM
Longhaul

Congrats on the scholarship, not many qualify. My advice would be to take it.

It's going to be for four years of your life that you won't regret.

Please take the time to look at this link. The decision is ultimately up to you. Welcome to the world of being an adult

http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/commissioning_programs/nrotc

longhaul
04-19-11, 11:41 PM
Sorry that it took so long to get back on and thanks for all the advice.

martinj: Thanks for the helpful answer. I was always planning to try out for recon first. But if MARSOC really is becoming more of an FMTU (nothing against that, just not exactly what I am looking for) then I'll probably just stay as recon if I am enjoying it (assuming I even make it).

Everyone else: Thanks for the advice on the scholarship. I'm still leaning heavily towards going enlisted but I'm keeping an open mind about the NROTC. Apparently its pretty difficult to get into the officer programs once you've enlisted so if I decide to go down that road I would have to wait 5-6 years at least. I'm going to go check out the NROTC unit at UCLA and see if that's something that I want for the next four years of my life.

Thanks again so much for the advice guys. You guys are the only ones I can go to for advice around here (besides recruiters) that don't just say "You're joining the Marines? You're stupid, you're going to die". I really appreciate it.