PDA

View Full Version : help with re-enlisting

devildog9009
04-15-11, 11:51 PM
Hello. I enlisted in 2008 and shiped out easter 2009. I was on.parris island for 4 months due to medical issues. I contracted cellulitus in my right foot and hospitalized for near week and a half....

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 01:46 AM
RE-3P for 'chronic' lower back pain will be a 'no go' for reenlistment. The military (and esp. the Marine Corps) has numerous folks go out/go down/get out/get discharged/get disability for neck and...

devildog9009
04-16-11, 02:26 AM
Okay, now ive known many who has gotten in with the same case. My back in other hand is no problem. I can hump 125lbs no problem. Im willing to do whatever it takes to prove myself capable. Now i was told it was possible, just my papers never made it past the CO due to the misunderstanding we had two years ago. (unrealated issue) my back is fine. The corpsman and civi doctor said so. No real diagnosis. All the corps said was my hamstrings tightned but we workked that out with physical therapy and stretches. I also know a couple of people who suffered spinal fractures who was able to re-enlist. What would make my case any different even though ive been fully cleared from all medical conditions?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 02:41 AM
Wonderful. Note the reasons I stated. Note the REASON for your discharge. <br />
<br />
And, quite frankly, when was the last time you humped 125 pounds worth of gear, weapon, helmet, vest etc, in 110...

devildog9009
04-16-11, 02:54 AM
Now when trying to enlist in army, i have been cleared by meps. Im not sure if they judge differently for the marine corps. I didnt currently enlist in the army because of i had sone buissness to...

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 03:29 AM
The ONLY time a discharge (or, rather, the reenlistment code) will be changed is IF it was issued 'in error'. An RE-3P is issued for &quot;Physical Disability&quot;. Whatever it was that caused the...

devildog9009
04-16-11, 03:37 AM
Now only matter is, on my 214, it states "condition is not a disability"

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 04:13 AM
No, what that means is that you don't get VA benefits.

devildog9009
04-16-11, 04:19 AM
Also. If the marine corps choses not to take me back due to the code,what wull it make a difference after another service branch if that issue resides on my records?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 04:22 AM
IF, as you say, the army has already agreed to take you, then it's not an issue. After a successful enlistment, you'll have an RE-1 code which is good for any service. OH, style point..."Marine Corps" is ALWAYS capitalized.

devildog9009
04-16-11, 04:30 AM
Appologies for not capitalizing. But, honestly, you said slim/none chance for Marine Corps, but there must be a sliver of hope somewhere. My only concern is enlisting in the army and starting Marine boot camp when im nearly 26 or 27. I also know re-3p disqualifies me for OCS. But what about my chances of becoming Drill Instructor like i always wanted to do. I never met one older than 30 and if i go army first it could years before i hit Sgt. For my b-billet how would that even play out?

SGT7477
04-16-11, 09:14 AM
Appologies for not capitalizing. But, honestly, you said slim/none chance for Marine Corps, but there must be a sliver of hope somewhere. My only concern is enlisting in the army and starting Marine boot camp when im nearly 26 or 27. I also know re-3p disqualifies me for OCS. But what about my chances of becoming Drill Instructor like i always wanted to do. I never met one older than 30 and if i go army first it could years before i hit Sgt. For my b-billet how would that even play out?
Never met a DI under 30, that is a frickin joke, btw you must know all the DI's ages,lol, Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 04:30 PM
I think you are putting the cart, harness and everything else waaaaay before the horse. Get IN first, then worry about all that other crap. If the army it is, then the army it IS. The Marine Corps does not appear a good bet, and if the army has already agreed to take you, then DO IT.

devildog9009
04-16-11, 11:09 PM
Okay, if i go army, does it matter if i go reservist for two years?

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 11:13 PM
No, but why would you want to?

devildog9009
04-16-11, 11:33 PM
I would want to simply to shorten the time in the army. I have nothing against the army. Just the army doesnt mean as much to me. I grew up in an army family and its sorta "want to be different from my family" the traditions of the Marine Corps and the tight brotherhood is what catches my interest. Theres nothing i dont like about the Marines and the longer i have to go before i can enlist is like torture. Its been a childhood dream to be a Marine. So if i can go 2 year army reservist if that (like little to none chance) of bumeds and such granting me a waiver, then 2 it is.

lemonfish
08-19-11, 01:26 PM
Hope is NOT a course of action!

Sgt Ieprechaun
08-19-11, 01:44 PM
W
And, quite frankly, when was the last time you humped 125 pounds worth of gear, weapon, helmet, vest etc, in 110 degree heat, for 10-12 miles or so?

When was the last time you've done it?

FYI: You do more humping back in the states then you do in Afghanistan.

Pro tip: It's not always 110 degrees in Afghanistan, even in the summer.

OP: Don't worry about your age going into boot, I was 24 when I went through, and I met 32 year old recruits while I was there as well.