PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Unit Questions

hpZ71
04-13-11, 11:05 AM
Good afternoon Marines,

I've noticed quite a few threads about the reserves, so I apologize for any repetitiveness. I've got a few specific questions about my situation.

My original plan was to go active duty, but some circumstances have changed and at this point I am considering joining the Reserves. However, I've run into a problem. The only unit within the allowed distance is I Co. 3d Bn, 23d Marines. The problem is that I am a female, so it is my understanding that I would not be allowed to join.

Are there support MOS's in this unit, such as admin or supply? Or do reserve units like this rely on other reserve units for support? I noticed that H&S Co. 3d Bn, 23d Marines is located in Belle Chasse, LA...So I'm assuming that is where their support MOS's would come from, correct?

Also, there is a Bulk Fuel Plt within 70 miles of the college that I plan to attend... would I be allowed to join them? My understanding is that the distance from a reserve unit is determined by where my recruiting station is located as opposed to where I live. (Which honestly doesn't make much sense. Its not as if I will be driving to and from my RS to attend drills.) Would I be able to obtain a waiver of some kind to join this unit or am I just completely out of luck?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.