PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda "Time Frames" for Waivers

Ducy
04-13-11, 12:28 AM
Good evening Marines,

First I would like to apologize if this is the wrong section for this thread. Secondly I would like to apologize for spelling and grammar mistakes. I am posting this thread from my cell phone.

A quick history, I was diagnosed with wheezing as a baby, and put on bronchiodialators. I have NOT been prescribed meds or suffered any "attacks" since I was 12 (received a letter and documents to prove it). I was also given anti-depressants when I was 17 and taken off them 3 weeks later. Upon talking with a counselor is was deemed "typical sadness" and not depression. My high school sweetheart was leaving me, both grandparents passed, and I was in a horrific car accident (No injuries but it scared the heck out of me).

Anyways, onto the topic of this thread...

I have been talking to a Marine Recruiter for the last month and before he even scheduled an appointment with me he told me I needed to obtain a letter from my doctor about my asthma and anti-depressants. I got the letters and he then scheduled an "interview" where he basically told me to get a Pulmonary Function Test, the actual records of my anti-depressants, a letter from my doctor, my counselor, my parents, and even myself, explaining why I took them, how long, why I stopped, etc. He then told me all this would be sent to MEPS where I would be DQ'd immediately, and he would have to send them to Bethesda. I would then have to wait for their approval to continue on. I assume some of this was just to see if I would "give up" or if I was willing to work for it since he told me over and over about how he had paperwork from December that still hasn't been approved and he even had a person denied after waiting a full year.

What is the typical wait time for an approval or denial from Bethesda? Also, am I "instantly" disqualified for any of this?

From what I have been told (another recruiter) is that I am "okay" since I haven't had any asthma issues since I was 12 and that its a mandatory 1 year "sober" period from anti-depressants. I've also had several parents of Marines tell me to just not say anything and I would be fine. I took their advice with a grain of salt since I REFUSE to lie. As much as I pray, no matter how hard I try to push myself and strive to one day be one of the proud, I would not lie to become one. Seems to be contradictory. Honor, Courage, Commitment, and yet I should lie.

I apologize for this long winded post, and any spelling errors again.

Thank You

Ducy
04-13-11, 12:36 AM
Also another note.

I am currently 21. Just for clarification as far as the anti-depressants. Its been just over the 4 year mark.

Lisa 23
04-13-11, 07:39 AM
Try using the search bar. Medical waivers have been discussed here before.

Ducy
04-13-11, 10:53 AM
With all do respect, I have tried searching. I am unable to search though because the "verification" string doesn't appear on my browser. Like I had said earlier, this is all posted through the browser on my cell phone.

I have tried sifting through the numerous pages 1 by 1. The closest things I had read on my phone was the sticky discussing waivers (which by my understanding I shouldn't be DQ'd since I haven't had breathing problems since I was 12 and it has been well over a year for my anti depressants.)

And the only thing I have found regarding Bethesda was a poster asking about what he needed to help fill his packet to increase his chances with Bethesda.

I will continue to sift through everything, I was posting in hopes that someone could answer them especially since I have constantly read conflicting things when I search through google and talk with recruiters.

Lisa 23
04-13-11, 11:04 AM
I know this isn't what you're looking for....but your questions can be best answered by your recruiter. He/she has the most up-to-date info for you.
The Marines here can only offer you advice.

Forum Rules! Read Before Posting!

There are no doctors frequenting this website. If you have a medical question that hasn’t already been answered by searching the forums, you’ll have to contact a recruiting office. If they cannot answer your question, you may be directed to a medical representative from MEPS.

Again, read that one carefully. We are Marines (and a few Corpsman). We are not doctors. Medical questions will usually be answered by someone cutting and pasting a section from the about.com website.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

================================================== =========

Medical & Criminal Waivers...READ THIS FIRST
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97158

Ducy
04-13-11, 11:08 AM
Ok thank you for your time.

Ill just have to trust my recruiter about Bethesda. He seems a lot more squared away than the others I have talked to, so hopefully he isn't bs'ing me like the last ones.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 01:51 AM
Realistically.....expect 60-90 days wait time. That's the 'no bs' answer. It may be shorter (be thankful if it is) or, it may be longer (which is, alas...typical too). It's the gummint, they are almost never consistent :)

Sounds like you are, at least, on the right track and might stand a decent chance at getting a waiver. Please keep us in the loop.

Ducy
04-16-11, 02:33 AM
Thank you Sgt Leprechaun!

That was exactly what I was looking for. I figured it could be incredibly fast or incredibly slow, but I was curious as to the "average/in between" time.

I will definitely keep you in the loop. For some reason I am not so worried about the waiver for my anti depressants since I have been fine for 4 years now, I only took them for a short while, and I have letters from my 2 doctors, and my counselor all stating that it was a "situational depression". Basically, a sadness brought on by depressing events. In fact my counselor put it best..."If you (I) were not bothered by all the bad occuring in such a short time, I would say you would be far from normal!"

The asthma one does bother me. I currently have to come up with the money for my Pulmonary Function Tes (insurance is a 350 deductable and I'm currently jobless) and I can't actually "prepare" for it. According to my doc, my peak flow results gave her confidence that I would fall in the "normal" range, but it still worries me.

Oh well, like I told the recruiter before I left his office, if it takes me 2 years and 1,000 tests to get to basic, then I guess in 28 months I'll be a Marine! (Not trying to sound arrogant, but I have learned that being confident that your goal will be achieved is better than "crossing your fingers")

Sgt Leprechaun
04-16-11, 02:43 AM
LOL. Keep us up to date. The AD shouldn't be an issue from what you've said. Typical that doctors nowadays just throw some drugs at people to make them 'feeeeel' better. Never considering long term life effects.

Good luck!