PDA

View Full Version : Worried I will not ship

ajvigs
04-08-11, 01:08 PM
Good afternoon all,

I am posting here because I am due to ship out to MCRDPI 9th May 2011. I just completed my 30 day pre-ship yesterday and my recruiter checked my height and weight..I am 6' tall and 200 pounds.

I know my weight requirement is 203 or less for someone 72" tall and I am honestly worried that I won't make my ship weight.

I am training everyday with a schedule of morning cardio/body weight exercises and weights/cardio in the afternoon. I am worried that I could gain muscle and put myself over the standards and not be able to begin my journey at Parris Island.

What can I do to ensure that this does not happen to me? I have already dropped 20+ pounds since Enlisting (I weighed in at MEPS the first time at 222).

Any advice that can be given I will greatly appreciate.

Poolee Vignola

Cpl Heglar
04-08-11, 01:32 PM
Go on a strict water diet and no salt. That will ensure you drop the extra weight instead of gaining. Try to run as much as possible on the road at least 1.5 miles 3 times a week, I know it will be tough to do but will help you ace boot camp.

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 01:43 PM
If you're worried about gaining muscle, then I'd suggest stop lifting weights and just stick with cardio. Keep doing some moderate body weight exercises to keep your muscles tone though. Don't stop with the pull ups. And Cpl Heglar is right. Salt retains water. Make sure you cut that out completely like a few days or a week before you ship. And if you're still worried about your weight, remember it's mainly a numbers game. Calories in, calories out. Keep track of how much you're eating and how much you're burning, and keep it around zero when all is said and done at the end of the day.

chulaivet1966
04-08-11, 01:51 PM
I'll chime in....

IMO...I don't think fasting (water diet) is necessary unless you are a couple pounds over and a couple days away.

Stay away from processed and simple carbs:
White rice, corn, pasta, breads, cereals, all junk food, sodas and alcohol...to name a few.
All carbs are turned to sugars.
Of course, as mentioned, salt can be a factor so minimize it.
Keep doing your workout routine.
No..we don't put on muscle mass that quickly so that is not determining.
If your are concerned stop the free weights and keep the cardio for about 30 - 40 minutes 3 days a week along with the proper eating habits.

The body needs fats and proteins.
If you do have any good carbs: brown rice, potatoes, yams, whole wheat bread, oatmeal - have these early in the day only and they will burn off fine given your workout routine.
For dinner...only lean meat and vegetables....no carbs.

I'll stop here.....hope that helps...

ajvigs
04-09-11, 05:56 PM
Thank you all for the guidance and advice on making sure I make weight.

I hate to be a bother but my research on the internet has gotten me quite perplexed. Here is why:

If for some reason I arrive at MEPS at overweight(which I highly doubt but just in case), what happens? I have heard that they either they A.Send me packing B. Ship me C. Conduct a BMI tape test

Which is true? Because I am hearing multiple answers of the latter three and not one definite answer.

Thank you all once again,

Poolee Vignola

crazymjb
04-09-11, 10:31 PM
If you're right on the edge see if your recruiter can throw a weight waiver in for you. Mine did for me just for a buffer zone, this was also 3 years ago so not sure if it still works.

Mike

ajvigs
04-10-11, 09:19 AM
Thank you for that info. I will talk to my recruiter. I think I am just over-worrying because this morning when I jumped on the scale before some cardio I was 198 with my clothes on :).

Mike (crazymjb) what can you tell me about 0331? I am assigned to that job in the Topsham, ME Reserve unit.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-10-11, 10:52 AM
if you're within a couple pounds they'll fudge the numbers, it's not that big of a deal. they "calculate" a couple pounds for the clothes you're wearing

afraziaaaa
04-11-11, 08:36 AM
if you're within a couple pounds they'll fudge the numbers, it's not that big of a deal. they "calculate" a couple pounds for the clothes you're wearing

MEPS will not fudge numbers. Your max ship weight is 202. They are just pushing you to make sure you are where you need to be once the day rolls around. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine. You won't gain 3lbs of muscle in 30 days.

crazymjb
04-11-11, 10:58 AM
If you're in Topsham, or Alpha company, it means you'll be hiking around with a MG. I'm in Weapons Co so we drive around with the stuff you will carry ;) 1/25 is activating in 3 weeks so you're going to miss our deployment, so it'll be you and a bunch of new joins at the unit for the next year or so, but expect opportunities within the next year or so to volunteer with another unit.

Mike

YourPhoneIsMine
04-11-11, 11:54 AM
MEPS will not fudge numbers. Your max ship weight is 202. They are just pushing you to make sure you are where you need to be once the day rolls around. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine. You won't gain 3lbs of muscle in 30 days.

I saw them fudge plenty of numbers that were within a couple of pounds. That was just one office in 2008, however, so your mileage may vary.

ajvigs
04-15-11, 06:54 AM
Thank you for all of the replies. I am working my *** off with running, low weight high rep weight lifting, and just dieting and drinking water.

I talked to my Recruiter and he told me they dont have waivers.

In my research on the internet though I came up with this:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/l/blintweightmale.htm

If you look down it goes on to say that you must meet the retention weight standards to ship, with mine being 203 or less at 72" tall. Then it says that, and I quote,
"Prior to shipping out to basic training, Marine Recruits must meet different (more strict) weight standards, known as the "Retention Weight Standards." Recruits who exceed the Retention Weight Standards can still ship out to basic training, if any of the following conditions are met:

Within 5 percent of retention weight standards: If the recruit passes the IST, he can ship to basic training with no waiver."

So is that true? Because I can certainly pass an IST.

Thank you once again.

Poolee Vignola