PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Rifle

mdsalern
04-07-11, 02:59 PM
I am wondering what model of civilian rifle that is commercially available would be closest to that which is used in recruit training? I am looking for something I could get comfortable taking apart and putting back together. I understand that I could procure a transferable M16A2, but that route is out of my price range.

TheReservist
04-07-11, 03:01 PM
You're going to spend so much time with your rifle that you're not going to have to worry about it now...

DrZ
04-07-11, 03:06 PM
I am wondering what model of civilian rifle that is commercially available would be closest to that which is used in recruit training? I am looking for something I could get comfortable taking apart and putting back together. I understand that I could procure a transferable M16A2, but that route is out of my price range.

TheReservist is right. You don't need to be playing with a weapon at home. You will only be learning bad habits. Your DIs will train you in the Marine way of doing things.... just wait and let them do their job.

mdsalern
04-07-11, 03:07 PM
Sounds fair.

SlingerDun
04-07-11, 03:41 PM
Dude says these are Marines, but i'm not convinced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnfxF0w0_Pw

Sgt Leprechaun
04-07-11, 11:54 PM
Do NOT, repeat, NOT, go running out and get some weapon. All you will do is develop bad habits that will have to be broken later on by DI's and PMI's.

Wait until you are graduated and in the FMF before you go blowing money on toys like that.

Quinbo
04-08-11, 12:10 AM
With some small differences the AR-15 is close. The AR has no front take down pin but pivots on a large screw. Depending on which model AR you get it may or may not have sites designed to be adjusted with the tip of a round or just fingers.

I echo that now is not the time for you to be trying to self teach weapons.

crazymjb
04-08-11, 10:43 AM
Bulkyker is partially correct. Now-a-days AR15s are like an adult erector set, there are literally 10s of thousands of accessories for them variants, manufacturers, etc. You can build an AR that is identical to an m16 with the only difference being a semi-auto fire control group, which you won't ever take apart yourself anyway unless you are an armorer. It requires breaking it down to the pins and springs, and that has ZERO application in any field environment.

We currently use Colt and FN rifles, I believe the Colt 6920 is the basic civilian M4. That said, colts are among the priciest of brands and others such as BCM and Spikes Tactical can cost close to half the price and have an equally impressive reliability record and material data set. Basically, it doesn't have the colt name but is just a good. I wouldn't build or buy an imitation M16A2 which is what you have in boot, but rather something more of the M4 profile, it is a much more useful platform.

As others have said owning your own AR will not provide you with any real advantage in boot camp, that said, I don't feel as strongly as others do that it will disadvantage you as long as you learn proper technique from the outset.

If you are on a budget you aren't going to get a better deal than this: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-midlength-le-carbine-p-443.html
If you look around there are plenty of discounts up to 10% for spikes. $720 for one of the best ARs on the market isn't bad. I recommend the midlength gas system over the carbine length gas system, they run much smoother and its less harsh on the bolt. The carbine gas system was designed for shorter barrels than M4s use. Something to think about if you are looking for an "m4."

Mike