PDA

View Full Version : I need helpp!

edwinrivera1990
04-07-11, 11:35 AM
I was originally scheduled to leave in October for bootcamp but I just got a call and they said that something opened up in May 16th. I told him that I cant leave so soon because I need to save up money so I can give to my parents before I leave so they can make car payments for me (the car is under my moms name, I just pay for it). Then the manager of our recruiting office told me that I can have they money direct deposited straight into my personal checking account. From what I've heard they make you open up a bank account with whatever is in San Diego and you cant touch that money until you graduate. I need to know from someone who recently graduated or a recruiter who really knows. I dont want them lying to me saying I can have it DD into my own account and when I get there they say no and my parents are screwed. They cant afford to pay for my car, and they shouldnt have to take on that burder anyways.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-07-11, 12:02 PM
It's unlikely. Most recruits who needed to send money home had to go through a process of requesting it through the SDI which then had to be approved by the Co 1stSgt (or his scribe, lol). But your initial paychecks will go to the PMCU account they set up for you and you won't be able to change it.

Don't be in a rush to get to boot camp.

iamspartacus
04-07-11, 01:41 PM
I agree, stick with your original plan and make sure you parents are for sure set up with money for the payments. When I went to boot camp (in 2006) my wife was left high and dry because we thought she was going to have access to my paycheck. Figured I could just have the direct deposit go into my civilian account. Nope. I became a new customer of Pacific Marine Federal Credit Union and my wife didn't have access to it. I think they did allow me to set up an allotment of like a couple hundred bucks a month to be sent to my wife, but it wasn't like what we were expecting. Luckily she had a job to get her by, but it was a tight three months for her. I figure they do it that way because you'll have to make a weekly PX run. You still have to pay for your necessities while you're at boot camp and they probably want to make sure whoever is back at home isn't spending your whole paycheck and leaving you with nothing.

Make sure all your affairs are in order before you ship. Plan for the worst case scenario, because it really sucks to be at boot camp wondering if your personal affairs back home are being taken care of. It sucks even worse if you know they aren't being taken care of and you can't do a damn thing about it. When you're at boot camp the only thing you want to worry about is boot camp.

joseywales
04-07-11, 02:39 PM
May I ask a question of current active duty Marines and those who have not been in all that long?
I notice quite a few threads where the poolee is concerned about recruiters lying to him or her, it is stated quite often. Is this something that goes on all the time or is rare, or what? Or is it the poolees themselves just figuring as a very first response to a problem that someone is lying to them?

YourPhoneIsMine
04-07-11, 03:31 PM
if I asked everyone in my unit if their recruiter lied to them about something to get them to join or at the very least withheld information that the average fauxtivator would later consider vital enough to mention I bet the vast majority would say yes. hell, mine lied. or bull****ted because he didn't know the real answer. but he did what it took to make the sale.

joseywales
04-07-11, 03:39 PM
Thanks, did not know how prevalent it is nowadays, I know they were known for lying in order to "make the sale", as you said. Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-07-11, 11:52 PM
Lets keep this on topic.

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 09:45 AM
I asked my recruiter to look into this matter a little deeper for me and he said that normally you cant use the money but he said that when ship out the Ssgt (boss of the RSS) will call the depot and tell them my situation and they will let me DD into my personal account and I Just have to bring in my account number and routing number. I would hope since they are Marines that they are telling me the truth and they arent just going to send me there and make me look like an idiot and put my family in that situation. So I'm leaving May 16th. I'm nervous but ready to do it, I've only been in the DEP for like 3-4 months.

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 11:46 AM
Ultimately it's your call. You're the one who has to live with the decision of shipping out in May or October. But let me suggest that if you are still planning on leaving in May, that you find out for sure that whoever is suppose to call the depot actually does call the depot. I'm not saying your recruiter is lying to you or this SSgt is a duche bag who is trying to screw you over. But they are very busy people and ultimately you are responsible for ensuring that this gets taken care of. I'm not saying you're the one who has to call the depot, but get a confirmation from your recruiter (or even directly from this SSgt if possible) that it is for sure taken care of. Before you leave you want to hear that it WAS taken care of. Not, "it will be taken care of". Because it sounds like all it would take is a slip of the mind for someone to forget to call and your parents would be SOL. Good luck to you.

Cpl Heglar
04-08-11, 11:52 AM
You better milk all the time you can as a civilian because once you are in you are the property of Uncle Sam. We got 1 check in boot camp that was for 3 months pay. After they took the funds out for the cammies and alpha uniform it was about 800 dollars.

Stay the course you'll be glad you waited.

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 12:28 PM
You better milk all the time you can as a civilian because once you are in you are the property of Uncle Sam. We got 1 check in boot camp that was for 3 months pay. After they took the funds out for the cammies and alpha uniform it was about 800 dollars.

Stay the course you'll be glad you waited.

Really? I thought you got money deposited every 2 weeks into your account while in boot camp. I'm going in as an E-2 and it says I should be receiving $1645. So I figured that I will be there for 3 months which = $4935. Now I know I was going to have to pay for soap, shoes, etc but you you really only received $800 for the 3 months?

Cpl Heglar
04-08-11, 12:55 PM
Really? I thought you got money deposited every 2 weeks into your account while in boot camp. I'm going in as an E-2 and it says I should be receiving $1645. So I figured that I will be there for 3 months which = $4935. Now I know I was going to have to pay for soap, shoes, etc but you you really only received $800 for the 3 months?

I went in in 1986. I beleive It was 838.00 to be exact and I have a W-4 form where I was a E4 and made 12,184.00 for 1989. If you get that much cabbage God Bless you that's allot of money. Hell I might even let my son join for that much.

Keep in touch and let me know if it pans out and is true O.K.?

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 01:06 PM
I went in in 1986. I beleive It was 838.00 to be exact and I have a W-4 form where I was a E4 and made 12,184.00 for 1989. If you get that much cabbage God Bless you that's allot of money. Hell I might even let my son join for that much.

Keep in touch and let me know if it pans out and is true O.K.?

Yeah for sure. Now I'm curious to know from recent boot Marines about pay checks. I'm meeting up with a good friend of mine that is a Marine and is on pre-deployment leave right now so I'll ask him. I'll try doing a search on pay also.

Old Marine
04-08-11, 01:52 PM
Marine Recruiters these days do not have to BS anyone. They should have all the answers on the tips of their tongue. Everything I read is that prospects are lining up at the Recruiting Office's.

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 01:59 PM
Now I know I was going to have to pay for soap, shoes, etc but you you really only received $800 for the 3 months?

I don't know exactly how much your paycheck will be, but it's not like all you're going to have to buy each week is some soap and toothpaste. You're going to buy EVERYTHING. Pens, paper, notebooks, butt towels, shaving cream, razors, tape, sewing kit, PT shorts, PT shirts, swim trunks, moonbeams, boot bands, socks, underwear, marking kit, edge dressing, running shoes etc, etc, etc. Don't forget about uniforms. 3 sets of woodland cammies, 2 sets of desert cammies, two service trousers, two charlie shirts, two bravo shirts, dress coat, core frams. And then you'll probably want to buy boot camp pictures, yearbook, video and the occasional Sunday paper. And of course, that's all after giving some money back to Uncle Sam in the form of... taxes.

Again, not trying to talk you out of leaving early. It's your decision. Just want you to be informed.

DrZ
04-08-11, 02:03 PM
I was originally scheduled to leave in October for bootcamp but I just got a call and they said that something opened up in May 16th. I told him that I cant leave so soon because I need to save up money so I can give to my parents before I leave so they can make car payments for me (the car is under my moms name, I just pay for it). Then the manager of our recruiting office told me that I can have they money direct deposited straight into my personal checking account. From what I've heard they make you open up a bank account with whatever is in San Diego and you cant touch that money until you graduate. I need to know from someone who recently graduated or a recruiter who really knows. I dont want them lying to me saying I can have it DD into my own account and when I get there they say no and my parents are screwed. They cant afford to pay for my car, and they shouldnt have to take on that burder anyways.

Personally I would recommend you stay with your ship date. You have planned to have the money built up by then and that way you will have no worries. Don't put your parents in a financial situation because something that was said didn't happen. I am not saying that your recruiters blew smoke up your butt but they have a lot of people going through and things do fall through the crack.

As far as money.... in 1969, I made 115.20 / month which comes up around $1382.40 for my first year not taking TIS into account!

Stay with the October plan and don't mess up the parental units!

Good luck.

elliscraig12
04-08-11, 02:04 PM
I have a question about all this. Can he do an allotment before he goes to bootcamp? That way they could automatically get the money sent to their account.

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 02:05 PM
I don't know exactly how much your paycheck will be, but it's not like all you're going to have to buy each week is some soap and toothpaste. You're going to buy EVERYTHING. Pens, paper, notebooks, butt towels, shaving cream, razors, tape, sewing kit, PT shorts, PT shirts, swim trunks, moonbeams, boot bands, socks, underwear, marking kit, edge dressing, running shoes etc, etc, etc. Don't forget about uniforms. 3 sets of woodland cammies, 2 sets of desert cammies, two service trousers, two charlie shirts, two bravo shirts, dress coat, core frams. And then you'll probably want to buy boot camp pictures, yearbook, video and the occasional Sunday paper. And of course, that's all after giving some money back to Uncle Sam in the form of... taxes.

Again, not trying to talk you out of leaving early. It's your decision. Just want you to be informed.

That sounds like a lot of money, I dont see how I'm going to be able to afford a plane ticket home and then back to California for SOI. Do you get discounts on plane tickets, I am due to graduate in August and I'm sure tickets are expensive because it's summer and everyone is traveling. Hmm this is kind of making me think twice. I just feel bad because they Ssgt said he had to make a couple of phone calls to other RSS to see if he can accomodate me wanting to leave earlier, when I said earlier I told him I was looking at like July. Hmm maybe I'll discuss this with him.

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 02:21 PM
Ask your recruiter if he can get you in touch with some of his recent graduates. Ask them what their paychecks looked like. If they have already finalized your earlier ship date, talk to them about your boot camp expenses and concerns before you say you want to go back to your original ship date. Again, I just listed things you'll have to buy. I don't remember how much I spent each week and how much my take home pay was. They may be able to give you some better figures. And maybe you will be able to swing it. I don't know. I know you feel bad about going back and forth, but just be straight with them. You work with them and they'll work with you. BUT, if it's still not too late, I'd consider sticking with October.

As far as plane tickets, you can either have a family member book them at home or you can book them yourself through the travel center. I'm not sure if the travel center is cheaper or not.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-08-11, 02:28 PM

first of all, you forgot taxes. so knock about 15% of that off the top. second, everything you get will be paid for. there's a myth that the military "issues" uniforms. every set of cammies, boots, service and dress uniforms you get will come out of your paycheck. you'll leave with more than 800 but don't expect five grand. figure about 3k at best

note that he's also talking about pay from twenty years ago. inflation, and all that. yeah people got paid less back then but stuff also cost less

USNAviator
04-08-11, 02:32 PM
That sounds like a lot of money, I dont see how I'm going to be able to afford a plane ticket home and then back to California for SOI. Do you get discounts on plane tickets, I am due to graduate in August and I'm sure tickets are expensive because it's summer and everyone is traveling. Hmm this is kind of making me think twice. I just feel bad because they Ssgt said he had to make a couple of phone calls to other RSS to see if he can accomodate me wanting to leave earlier, when I said earlier I told him I was looking at like July. Hmm maybe I'll discuss this with him.

Are you sure you get paid as an E-2 during boot? I was under the assumption when you graduate from boot, you then assume the rank of E-2. BTW an E-1 with less than 4 months of service receives $1357/month. This info was found on the 2011 pay grade chart

Before you make any final decision, make sure you have ALL the information and yes they will take taxes of all types out of your paycheck. Just be prepared

YourPhoneIsMine
04-08-11, 02:33 PM

you'll be able to afford your plane ticket, don't worry

again, don't rush to boot camp. it's not going anywhere and even before your first year is up you will not care what month you shipped to boot camp but the other decisions you have to make to accommodate that ship date will still be affecting you

USNAviator
04-08-11, 02:33 PM
first of all, you forgot taxes. so knock about 15% of that off the top. second, everything you get will be paid for. there's a myth that the military "issues" uniforms. every set of cammies, boots, service and dress uniforms you get will come out of your paycheck. you'll leave with more than 800 but don't expect five grand. figure about 3k at best

note that he's also talking about pay from twenty years ago. inflation, and all that. yeah people got paid less back then but stuff also cost less

Fatty does he get paid as an E-2 during boot?

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 02:47 PM

I was told I'd get E-2 pay from day 1 of boot camp.

USNAviator
04-08-11, 02:55 PM
I was told I'd get E-2 pay from day 1 of boot camp.

Make sure it's in writing. Being told and actually have it happen are two different things

But good luck to you

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 03:09 PM
I know you guys said that everything that you are "issued" comes out of your pay check, does that include the BCG's, I'm wondering of those are expensive.....I dont sign to leave for May until Monday, I'm going to call the Ssgt and ask him to see if maybe I can switch with someone who does want to leave in May and I can take their date..

iamspartacus
04-08-11, 03:21 PM
No, you don't pay for your BCGs. That's part of the healthcare you get for being in the military. Just like you don't have to pay for medical and dental.

Cpl Heglar
04-08-11, 03:35 PM
You also get travel pay whatever the plane ticket costs the Gov't covers in a check that you use for the expenditure.

edwinrivera1990
04-08-11, 03:38 PM
You also get travel pay whatever the plane ticket costs the Gov't covers in a check that you use for the expenditure.

Really, I thought they only cover when your traveling from base to base but not from base to home or home to base. There is so much I need to learn. I want to make sure I know all about my benefits so that I make sure to use them.

YourPhoneIsMine
04-08-11, 03:48 PM

if I recall correctly yes, but I'm not entirely sure. I think I remember some of the contract PFCs getting E2 pay all throughout the cycle but I can't say for sure

Sgt Leprechaun
04-11-11, 08:55 PM
He should, if he enlists as a PFC he'll be paid as one throughout Recruit Training. However, I'm not 'up' on current pay rates while IN training, as in, how much, what you end up with, etc.