PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

tuttjs
04-04-11, 09:44 PM
Last week I swore in at MEPS. I asked my recruiter if parents were able to come and watch the swear in, and he said no due to the fact that I will swear in again on my ship off date. According to him, that's when parents are supposed to come. However, there were parents at this last swearing in for Marines, and they weren't being shipped off until next year. Is what my recruiter said true? I know my parents were excited about being able to watch me swear in.

Second, I go to MCRD San Diego come next month. I know I get a 10 day leave after recruit training. Does the Marine Corps pay for the airfare back to your home town? If so, can you change the date of the flight so you can stay a little longer and enjoy San Diego?

Third, I am going in as an E-2 since I have some college behind me. When my parents write me, will they address me as pvt. or pvt first class?

Thanks guys

MSSlaughter
04-04-11, 09:54 PM
1. I don't know about the first swear in, every MEPS does it differently. There will, however, be another one. Bring them along.

2. Your travel arrangements from MCRD -> home -> MCT will be made in the last few weeks of boot camp. You will make them. I stayed near Parris Island after grad and drove home (to Ohio) with my parents, then flew to MCT in North Carolina. Knowing your plans now is good, just apply those plans when buying tickets and whatnot during boot camp. (At least that's how they did it 8 years ago).

3. You will be addressed as Recruit, not Pvt or PFC. You get that rank when you graduate boot camp...not before.

Hope this helped.

tuttjs
04-04-11, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. To follow up with your answers, does the airefare back home from recruit training come out of your pay check, or does the Marine Corps pay for it? What about transportation to MCT?

Lastly, my book I received at MEPS said my mailing address would be
Pvt full name
San Diego

That's why I asked.

Thanks again

Lisa 23
04-05-11, 07:42 AM
You're travel home from boot camp comes out of your pay, and then your travel to MCT comes out of your pocket.

Zulu 36
04-05-11, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. To follow up with your answers, does the airefare back home from recruit training come out of your pay check, or does the Marine Corps pay for it? What about transportation to MCT?

Lastly, my book I received at MEPS said my mailing address would be
Pvt full name
San Diego

That's why I asked.

Thanks again

That's how it was when I went through in 1971, but things have changed. Since Private is the rank of a Marine, and you won't be a Marine in boot camp, ergo your rank will be Recruit. Follow the instructions your Drill Instructors will certainly give you.

iamspartacus
04-05-11, 12:20 PM
Think of the whole 10 day boot leave like this: you're taking vacation. the Marine Corps doesn't pay you to take vacation. The Marine Corps isn't MAKING you take your boot leave. They are just saying you can take it if you want. If you don't want to take boot leave, just say so and they'll ship you to MCT right after graduation. But they are not going to pay for your airfare to go on vacation. Also, that 10 days of boot leave is not just a gift either. that counts against your 30 annual days of leave. You'll be going in the hole. If you graduate on time you'll only technically have 7.5 days of leave saved up (2.5 days a month times 3 months of boot camp). Nothing wrong with taking boot leave. God knows you'll need it. Just don't view it as the Corps giving you a free gift.