PDA

View Full Version : What happens when "Suzy" goes to Parris Island?

CdtCaptKlopez
04-03-11, 08:27 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a poolee from south Texas, and i absolutely can not wait to become a Marine!
I leave 6 June 2011, and i'm more focused on my goal than i have ever been. I went through a tight spot trying to decide about a little NROTC scholarship, but thats over now.
My latest concern is my relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now, and i pray that we get married one day. He is 100% supportive of me becoming a Marine, eventhough he is staying here. I just get a little freaked out sometimes that he won't be able to deal with the strain, and that he'll bail.
He does not have a history of this, but I know how the Corps can be on relationships. My divorced parents are example #1.
I was just wondering if there is anyone else here who has gone through this and come out of it with their relationship in tact.

USNAviator
04-03-11, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone! I'm a poolee from south Texas, and i absolutely can not wait to become a Marine!
I leave 6 June 2011, and i'm more focused on my goal than i have ever been. I went through a tight spot trying to decide about a little NROTC scholarship, but thats over now.
My latest concern is my relationship. I've been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now, and i pray that we get married one day. He is 100% supportive of me becoming a Marine, eventhough he is staying here. I just get a little freaked out sometimes that he won't be able to deal with the strain, and that he'll bail.
He does not have a history of this, but I know how the Corps can be on relationships. My divorced parents are example #1.
I was just wondering if there is anyone else here who has gone through this and come out of it with their relationship in tact.

I remember you, turned down an NROTC scholarship, well that was your decision

You know I could give my experience a single man, as a husband and finally as a Dad to two daughters but it won't matter. You have to experience it for yourself

I think you know what will happen or at least suspect what will happen. At 18, your life will change so many times, when you look back on this question, if you can, I'm sure you'll at least smile. Remembering innocent times in your life

Fair winds

Tennessee Top
04-03-11, 09:55 PM
Mine (marriage) did not survive my very first overseas assignment (ex bailed on me for Jodie).

But, that's not to say the same will happen in your case. Plenty of my USMC friends are still married.

At least...you have both eyes open. I have a feeling you'll be fine either way.

advanced
04-04-11, 11:42 AM
My girl waited for me the entire time I was in the Nam. We got married when I got back home. I've been married over 40 years now and I look back with fondness on all 4 of my wives.

USNAviator
04-04-11, 11:57 AM
My girl waited for me the entire time I was in the Nam. We got married when I got back home. I've been married over 40 years now and I look back with fondness on all 4 of my wives.

Russ that's very heart warming. Those 40 years, were they broken down into sets of 10?

advanced
04-04-11, 12:01 PM
Russ that's very heart warming. Those 40 years, were they broken down into sets of 10?

No Dan, actually 2 fives, a ten and now a 20. I seem to do better with practice.

Of course there were many live-ins between marriages, but after a while they all begin to act like wives as well. I don't count these relationships though as I believe in marriage. Call me a true romantic.

USNAviator
04-04-11, 12:03 PM
No Dan, actually 2 fives, a ten and now a 20. I seem to do better with practice.

Of course there were many live-ins between marriages, but after a while they all begin to act like wives as well. I don't count these relationships though as I believe in marriage. Call me a true romantic.

Did you have any change left over?

advanced
04-04-11, 12:05 PM
Did you have any change left over?

If you're talking about all the one night stands I don't talk about those, people might get the wrong impression of me.

advanced
04-04-11, 12:06 PM
Russ, did all four wait for you while you were at PI. I'm confused. LOL.

No Dave, i'm sequential, not simultaneous.

USNAviator
04-04-11, 12:07 PM
If you're talking about all the one night stands I don't talk about those, people might get the wrong impression of me.

Well I'm sure Lynn2 had his share as well. But talking about it would break the blood oath

advanced
04-04-11, 12:16 PM
Well Dan, for guys like me back in the day, that's how we lived our lives. For me a big part of it was being a cop. Take being a vice cop for instance. Where else do they give you money every night that you go to work to go out drinking on and of course you meet lots of women. And when we ran out of money we knew all the free places, it you get my drift.

Then there was all the hospitals with all the nurses and women doctors. Oh, the memories.........

caat31
04-04-11, 01:29 PM
Mine didn't survive my first deployment to Okinawa. She said we "needed some time apart", as if 6 months and thousands of miles wasn't enough.

USNAviator
04-04-11, 02:02 PM
Well Dan, for guys like me back in the day, that's how we lived our lives. For me a big part of it was being a cop. Take being a vice cop for instance. Where else do they give you money every night that you go to work to go out drinking on and of course you meet lots of women. And when we ran out of money we knew all the free places, it you get my drift.

Then there was all the hospitals with all the nurses and women doctors. Oh, the memories.........

Drifted there myself a few time Russ. But this sounds like an Admirals retirement party. Maybe that's why they call them cluster f$cks?

USNAviator
04-04-11, 02:10 PM
To get on point to "Suzy" You don't know what's going to happen but I believe you said he'll be going off to college and he'll be gone when you return from Boot most likely?

Have you ever been separated before, for a long period? For the most part, it does not make the heart grow fonder.

But perhaps you two will beat the odds, who knows

BTW, good luck to you on your journey to earn the title

CdtCaptKlopez
04-04-11, 05:10 PM
every summer since we got together i've spent the whole 3 months in Arkansas, so we've done the distance thing before.
He'll be in school, but he is going to the University of Houston, so that won't be too big of a problem when i get back.
I just hope males are alot more understanding about these things than gripey needy females are. No offense to any Marine girlfriends!

CdtCaptKlopez
04-04-11, 07:20 PM
Thanks y'all! I spend the majority of my days with two old crusty Marines (i promise i use it a term of endearment), and hearing some of their stories can make a girl start feeling a little bit negative. However, i have learned that if you want to really learn something, find you some old war dog Marines.

tripledog
04-04-11, 10:03 PM
If he waits, Ill be the most surprised.