PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Officer

Cody243
04-03-11, 01:11 AM
Im currently a wannabe, as for at least a year I cant do anything (due to shoulder surgery). So my plan is to go to college for a year, then sign up as a Reservist, and do basic during the summer of my freshman year. After completing basic, I would apply for the PLC program, and work my ass off to go in as a Pilot. However, my eyes are bad. My recruiter told me that i could still be a pilot if i got PRK lasik surgery and got corrected to 20/20, but a family friend who is a Navy pilot told me that any for of lasik was a disqualification from being a pilot. I was hoping there was someone who could tell me who to believe, and also, if they think this would be a good path to get to that goal. Thanks in advance.

-Cody

USNAviator
04-03-11, 06:50 AM
Im currently a wannabe, as for at least a year I cant do anything (due to shoulder surgery). So my plan is to go to college for a year, then sign up as a Reservist, and do basic during the summer of my freshman year. After completing basic, I would apply for the PLC program, and work my ass off to go in as a Pilot. However, my eyes are bad. My recruiter told me that i could still be a pilot if i got PRK lasik surgery and got corrected to 20/20, but a family friend who is a Navy pilot told me that any for of lasik was a disqualification from being a pilot. I was hoping there was someone who could tell me who to believe, and also, if they think this would be a good path to get to that goal. Thanks in advance.

-Cody

Cody

PLC is the way I went and it's a good way to get your commission without putting up with the NROTC bs.. As for your vision questions;

Navy and Marine Corps

The Navy and the Marine Corps use the same standards (The Marines do not have their own medical department. They use the Navy for all medical procedures and standards). Navy Pilots must pass a Class I Flying Physical (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm). To become a pilot in the Navy or Marine Corps, an applicant's uncorrected vision can be no worse than 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. Once flight training begins, vision can deteriorate to no worse than 20/100 (correctable to 20/20) in each eye. After flight training graduation, if the eyesite deteriorates worse than 20/200 (must be correctable to 20/20), the pilot will require a waiver for carrier operations. If the vision deteriorates past 20/400 (correctable to 20/20), the pilot is restricted to aircraft with dual controls (ie, aircraft with co-pilots).

For Navigators (called "NFOs" or "Navy Flight Officers"), there is no vision requirement to enter flight training. However, the Navigator's vision must be correctable to 20/20 and there are limits on refraction. Refraction must be less than or equal to plus or minus 8.00 sphere in any meridian and less than or equal to minus 3.00 cylinder. No more than 3.50 anisometropia. After flight training, to continue on flight status there is no limit on refraction for NFOs. No waivers are authorized for NFO applicants who exceed these refraction limits.

Normal color vision is required for both NFOs and pilots. Normal depth perception is required for pilots and pilot applicants.

The Navy allows laser eye surgery, both for current pilots and NFOs, and for pilot/NFO applicants, if they apply for, and are accepted to participate in the Navy's on-going study about laser eye surgery for aviators.

Cody243
04-03-11, 11:29 AM
Awesome! There is still a chance then. Thank you for clearing that one up for me. Made my day knowing i can still do it.