PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else been told they need to get their tattoos removed to enlist?

bn25168
04-02-11, 10:33 PM
In May I graduated from my university and got my bachelor's in business administration. This was not an exciting moment in my life, but i felt is was a worth while accomplishment. The reason was, going to college felt like it was something i was "supposed to do". I finished it because I don't believe in quitting. Halfway through college i decided that what i want to be (need to be) is a Marine.

So, shortly after graduating I went to my local recruiter. I thought that because I lack any medical/drug/criminal history, and am a recent college grad, that I would have a good shot at enlisting. Before i was able to sit down with the recruiter for a more in depth talk about the process, I was devastated to learn that because i had a few small star tattoos on my forearm and wrist, that I was not eligible to join the Marines. (i got the tattoos about halfway through college without ever bothering to research the Marine Corps tattoo policy.) After the recruiter explained to me the reason why you cant have a tattoo within 4 inches of your wrist, I completely understood why such a restriction is in place for potential recruits. No one in the Marines cares about "your sweet ink, yo!" and it clashes with the Marine Corps image.

I went to another recruiter who spent the next few weeks trying to see if he could get the OK from the head guy at the recruiting center to apply for a waiver, but after weeks of follow up, pictures being taken of the tattoos, recruiters there being impressed by my strong motivation about joining (after being asked if I've ever considered the Army, my reply was "No, sir. for me its the Marines or nothing."), the end result was being told removal would be my only option.

After much research on tattoo removal, I've finally figured out a removal option I can afford, and set up my first appointment next month with a local cosmetic surgeon.

Sorry about the rant, I just wanted to share my relief that in a couple months, I will be eligible to join, and I will head back to the same, familiar recruiting center bearing no tattoos.

Has anyone else had to pursue tattoo removal to join, or had to undergo lengthy and uncertain waiver processes?
If so i would like to hear of your experiences.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-02-11, 10:48 PM
Closed until I see a more complete profile, and moved to the proper forum. Run a search on the site, you'll find TONS of information on this. Glad you are moving foward, however.