PDA

View Full Version : PT preparation for boot camp?

vterm
03-31-11, 09:22 PM
Hello Marines, hope I'm not asking a question that's been asked a few hundred times, but mine has personal questions in it as well. I'm about 5 years from being able to ship out to MCRD San Diego (I know it's far, but might as well prepare). I'm on a strict weightlifting schedule at the moment 3 times a week that prohibits outside strength training from the routine. so I can't do pushups and pullups, but they are incorporated somewhat in the routine. the routine is building strength gains for me fast, its free weight compound lifts. but once I slow that down some in a few months to a year, I'll pick up pullups much more seriously. I can max about 18 when coming to a complete pause after each rep. but based on footage I've seen, I could get about 20-25. my cardio as of now is trying to improve my 1.5 mile time. I run about 5x a week. it improves almost every single day, which I think is awesome. once I get it down to about 10 minutes, I'm gonna start training for 3, then 5, and POSSIBLY 10 by the time I ship out.

I have intentions to brag, but I got a 28 on my ACT, and I maintain a 3.75 GPA at school. I don't know how well that will help when i go to my recruting office. I plan to get a bachelors degree, so could that help when choosing my contract? I really want 0311, so I want the 03XX contract to have a chance I assume? I hope to be informed of Marine Corps history and code before heading off, along with being physically fit. I feel there's no way I can get mentally prepared besides when I get into DEP. I think I could make it physically right now, but I don't think it would be easy. mentally, I have been way too comforted my whole life to know the stresses the DI's will place on me. thanks for reading and the advice in advance.

TheReservist
03-31-11, 09:26 PM
Sounds like you're doing what you need to.

What's the program your on right now? It sounds like the Starting strength program, which works very well.

You should look into crossfit too, they put enough variation in their workouts to hit all of the areas of physical fitness.

Also, militaryathlete.com is a good site to check out too.

vterm
03-31-11, 09:39 PM
Sounds like you're doing what you need to.

What's the program your on right now? It sounds like the Starting strength program, which works very well.

You should look into crossfit too, they put enough variation in their workouts to hit all of the areas of physical fitness.

Also, militaryathlete.com is a good site to check out too.

wow you're right, I'm doing Rippetoe's Starting Strength trying to increase my lifts past this plateau.

I've read about crossfit and might try it once I have a job.

thanks for the website I'll check it out.

TheReservist
04-01-11, 07:42 AM
I figured once you said compound lifts. Starting strength is good but to get the type of physical fitness that you need for the Marines, look into crossfit. It's free if you just go by the WOD on there front page too