PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!! PLEASE!!

RayisaT
03-31-11, 07:15 PM
I am a Seventeen year old Armenian girl from Los Angele's Ca, for anyone who dose not know where Armenia is, its in the middle east near Russia an Persia. My culture is very very different, women are suppose to stay home, cook, clean, and take care of the kids. So the fact that I want more then anything to be a Marine kills my parents. My moms been crying for days and my dad cant even look at me. He thinks im turning into an "American Girl" an im forgetting are heritage. Nether of them will talk to me..
Any advice?

TunTvrnWarrior
03-31-11, 07:24 PM
Rayisa, wait it out until you are 18 and sign. Drop the subject altogether for now. Act more like your cultural heritage and not an American Girl for now. If you PM me, I will explain why.

USNAviator
03-31-11, 07:28 PM
I am a Seventeen year old Armenian girl from Los Angele's Ca, for anyone who dose not know where Armenia is, its in the middle east near Russia an Persia. My culture is very very different, women are suppose to stay home, cook, clean, and take care of the kids. So the fact that I want more then anything to be a Marine kills my parents. My moms been crying for days and my dad cant even look at me. He thinks im turning into an "American Girl" an im forgetting are heritage. Nether of them will talk to me..
Any advice?

Nothing wrong with being an American girl and I understand about different cultures but you asked this same question on Tuesday. Perhaps you should be aware of the rules and stick to your first post. You did get some good answers. Things won't change over night, you're fighting hundreds of years of culture wars

RayisaT (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=84512)
Marine Friend
Free Member (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/payments.php)
Credits: 26
http://mystatus.skype.com/smallicon/xprincess5150x (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=752253#)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif Help!
I'm a Seventeen year old girl from Burbank Ca I turn eighteen in Oct, Id love nothing more in my life then to be in the Marine Corp, but everyones very negative about it, my mom cried when i told her an my father just got angry we really haven't talked since. I have my mind set, this is what I want but I have no idea how to talk them into giving me their blessing. :cry:

USNAviator
03-31-11, 07:40 PM
Yes, one is called "Help!", which is on page two of these Ask A Marine threads, started on 3-28. Why was this second thread started? Entitled Need Advice Please, when there was already one going??

My point exactly Dave!!!!

USNAviator
03-31-11, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry, Dan, I just now noticed that you pointed that out earlier, my mistake, Commander, should have read the whole thing.

No problem, I think she might be a bit petulant and impatient. It takes time to overcome cultural differences. And yes RayisaT we know where Armenia is. We also know that Armenia is a Republic and that there was a state sponsored genocide in 1915-16, where close to one million Armenians were murdered

RayisaT
03-31-11, 08:26 PM
No problem, I think she might be a bit petulant and impatient. It takes time to overcome cultural differences. And yes RayisaT we know where Armenia is. We also know that Armenia is a Republic and that there was a state sponsored genocide in 1915-16, where close to one million Armenians were murdered

:D So glad you know what an Armenian is a lot of people really don't. An this one was a little different because now its not just the fact that im a girl, but its im Armenian an the question that everyone gives me is why would you want to fight for a county that's not yours?? The first post was more like how do I get my parents to except it, now its how do I show them that Armenians an Americans are not so different...
Also sorry im still learning how to use this site.

USNAviator
03-31-11, 08:30 PM
:D So glad you know what an Armenian is a lot of people really don't. An this one was a little different because now its not just the fact that im a girl, but its im Armenian an the question that everyone gives me is why would you want to fight for a county that's not yours?? The first post was more like how do I get my parents to except it, now its how do I show them that Armenians an Americans are not so different...
Also sorry im still learning how to use this site.

No problem sometimes a bit of ...how shall I put it....kidding goes on here. Were you born in this country?

Marine1011
03-31-11, 08:33 PM
Reckon so, profile says good ol US of A. Makes her Armenian descent but not Armenian.

RayisaT
03-31-11, 08:36 PM
No problem sometimes a bit of ...how shall I put it....kidding goes on here. Were you born in this country?

Yes Sir, born an raised in the USA!!

USNAviator
03-31-11, 08:48 PM
Yes Sir, born an raised in the USA!!

Outstanding!!! Now I figure your parents are old school? Listen, I understand what's going on in your household but as you say you're an American, when you turn 18 you can do whatever you want. Start talking with a recruiter, probably not a lot of them hanging around Hollywood High....lol. Tell him or her the situation, believe me they have heard it all. Gently tell your parents that you'd like them to meet your recruiter, he/she will do it believe me!

It's not going to easy young lady but you're becoming an adult. Respect your parents but don't let them run your life because if you do you'll truly be miserable

I wish you all the best. I'm sure some younger folks will come by and hopefully give you advice as well.

Carry on young lady

RayisaT
04-01-11, 02:12 AM
Outstanding!!! Now I figure your parents are old school? Listen, I understand what's going on in your household but as you say you're an American, when you turn 18 you can do whatever you want. Start talking with a recruiter, probably not a lot of them hanging around Hollywood High....lol. Tell him or her the situation, believe me they have heard it all. Gently tell your parents that you'd like them to meet your recruiter, he/she will do it believe me!

It's not going to easy young lady but you're becoming an adult. Respect your parents but don't let them run your life because if you do you'll truly be miserable

I wish you all the best. I'm sure some younger folks will come by and hopefully give you advice as well.

Carry on young lady

Thank you sir, an your right im just going to let it go, I turn 18 in six months an ill just join then. In the mean time ill take some classes at the local college to keep me busy. :D

03Mike
04-01-11, 11:54 AM
Rayisa - you've received some good advice so far, very little else I can offer, except, when people ask you:

why would you want to fight for a county that's not yours??

There are several possible answers - the first one that strikes me would be to ask them back (not an a mean way) why do they live in a country that is not theirs? Obviously there are things in America that they value over their homelands. Los Angeles is not Yerevan - each has its good traits and bad traits. One would figure that the good things in the US were enough to not only draw your family here but to keep them here. Those things that drew your family here - that drew the Armenian community here - those are the things that you are looking to support and protect by enlisting -- that way of life.

Now, I can't (and won't) put words in your mouth. We all join and serve for our own reasons - and for many of us, it is to give back to a society and country that has given us and our loved ones so much. Those of us who have traveled extensively or lived overseas understand what some of these freedoms and liberties really are.

So give it some thought, but my advice would be to explain your desire to serve in positive terms that your family and fellow Armenian-Americans can identify with and understand.

Good luck.

RayisaT
04-01-11, 02:46 PM
Thanks an your right as far as why my family an so many other Armenian family's stay in the US an I like the answer the question with a question answer :)
Iv been thinking about it, a lot an even if i dont have their blessing this is something im committed to an IM GONING TO DO!!

Tennessee Top
04-01-11, 04:59 PM
You're killing me with your use of the word "and". You sound relatively intelligent and I hope things work out for you. Is there a particular reason why you can't get that one word right ever? Just curious. It's very annoying and you should really clean it up; it's not that difficult (all you need to do is add the letter "d") and would make you appear even more intelligent...only a suggestion.

Good luck to you.

hillbillyjar
04-01-11, 05:17 PM
Any advice?

Something for you to think about. Some while back I wrote this, I think it fits very well in your situation.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where did you come from? (http://mlux2.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-did-you-come-from.html)

This isn't what I had planned for this week. I guess I'll post that another time. A stray comment made me change my mind about this weeks post. It also made me see a companion as a friend, and made me look a little closer at who my friends are.

I'm a mutt. I'll admit it.

Now, in some circles, those dealing with purebreds, that would be an insult. If I was a dog, horse, or cat, I should be neutered so I could not breed.

I'm not a horse or cat; and despite being told I was one in my younger days, I'm not a dog.

I'm human. I'm a flat out, human mutt.

My uncle is very good at tracking lineage. He did it as part of his job, tracking land records and such in his work. He even made it his hobby when he retired. He enjoyed it for some odd reason. According to the records he tracked down, I could claim I am Irish. I could also claim I am German or Scottish. Danish, French, English, well hell, pretty much all of the Anglo-Saxons were my forefathers. My history also contains Native American, African, and Asian if you dig as deep as biblical scholars would tell you to.

I'm a mutt, by any standard.

If I was anything but a human, this by our own rules, I should not be allowed to breed.

But I did breed. I bred with another mutt in fact; one just like myself. My wifes family can claim very much the same as mine. We are both mutts, both from many strong lines. We both come from cultures that came from cultures that were the cultures that started history.

And we both were raised to be very proud of specific parts of those heritages. Thanks to our forefathers, our son grows up with a long linage, from many cultures; any one of which he could be very proud of. But we didn't teach him to be proud of them. We tried to teach him to be proud of nothing but himself, his own accomplishments.

He is teaching us that we were wrong.

When he goes to his cub scout meetings, he stands very proudly, and salutes the flag of the country that he came from. He pledges his allegiance to it. He says that recited pledge, every single time, as if it was the first time he swore an oath. He says it. He means it.

Our son doesn't call himself a mutt. He doesn't say he is of the decent of another country. Ask him where he comes from, and the answer is "Howard, Pennsylvania." He is a United States American. Our son is not a mutt. He is a purebred.

Both, my family, and my wifes family have "been here" for several generations. Both our families have had members fight and die in this countries armed forces. I myself was a United States Marine.

And our little seven year old son is teaching us about how to be true Americans.

I dearly hope that there are other families, just like ours. I hope there are other purebred Americans.

I hope the rest of us can learn from them.

Kyle is nine now, as of yesterday. He is still a purebred. Mars and I are still learning from him.

Maybe you can help teach your parents.

rufus1
04-01-11, 05:54 PM
Remember to always honor your father and mother!!!!!! Always tell them how much you love and care for them. Like everyone states you have to live your own life and go to the top of the mountains and down to the deepest valleys with the decisions that you and you alone make. Sure it is good to always ask advise but in the end you take matters in your own hands and make your own decisions be it positive or negative. Also always do what you say you are going to do. Remember never be something you ain't because what you ain't is what you are!!!!!!! Good luck with your decisions and I hope you will be our sister one day.

rufus1
04-01-11, 06:01 PM
You're killing me with your use of the word "and". You sound relatively intelligent and I hope things work out for you. Is there a particular reason why you can't get that one word right ever? Just curious. It's very annoying and you should really clean it up; it's not that difficult (all you need to do is add the letter "d") and would make you appear even more intelligent...only a suggestion.

Good luck to you.

Hey Tenn Top that is the way people talk today with all that texting going on. Probably us old people from N.C. and Tenn. are the only one that use a D on their AND. In a few years we will have to go back and start over again in the first grade.

RayisaT
04-01-11, 07:32 PM
Remember to always honor your father and mother!!!!!! Always tell them how much you love and care for them. Like everyone states you have to live your own life and go to the top of the mountains and down to the deepest valleys with the decisions that you and you alone make. Sure it is good to always ask advise but in the end you take matters in your own hands and make your own decisions be it positive or negative. Also always do what you say you are going to do. Remember never be something you ain't because what you ain't is what you are!!!!!!! Good luck with your decisions and I hope you will be our sister one day.

Thanks AND this is something im sure about AND going to do, as soon as im 18 :D

AND yes its the way were (younger people) talk lol :sick:

RayisaT
04-01-11, 07:41 PM
Something for you to think about. Some while back I wrote this, I think it fits very well in your situation.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Where did you come from? (http://mlux2.blogspot.com/2009/07/where-did-you-come-from.html)

This isn't what I had planned for this week. I guess I'll post that another time. A stray comment made me change my mind about this weeks post. It also made me see a companion as a friend, and made me look a little closer at who my friends are.

I'm a mutt. I'll admit it.

Now, in some circles, those dealing with purebreds, that would be an insult. If I was a dog, horse, or cat, I should be neutered so I could not breed.

I'm not a horse or cat; and despite being told I was one in my younger days, I'm not a dog.

I'm human. I'm a flat out, human mutt.

My uncle is very good at tracking lineage. He did it as part of his job, tracking land records and such in his work. He even made it his hobby when he retired. He enjoyed it for some odd reason. According to the records he tracked down, I could claim I am Irish. I could also claim I am German or Scottish. Danish, French, English, well hell, pretty much all of the Anglo-Saxons were my forefathers. My history also contains Native American, African, and Asian if you dig as deep as biblical scholars would tell you to.

I'm a mutt, by any standard.

If I was anything but a human, this by our own rules, I should not be allowed to breed.

But I did breed. I bred with another mutt in fact; one just like myself. My wifes family can claim very much the same as mine. We are both mutts, both from many strong lines. We both come from cultures that came from cultures that were the cultures that started history.

And we both were raised to be very proud of specific parts of those heritages. Thanks to our forefathers, our son grows up with a long linage, from many cultures; any one of which he could be very proud of. But we didn't teach him to be proud of them. We tried to teach him to be proud of nothing but himself, his own accomplishments.

He is teaching us that we were wrong.

When he goes to his cub scout meetings, he stands very proudly, and salutes the flag of the country that he came from. He pledges his allegiance to it. He says that recited pledge, every single time, as if it was the first time he swore an oath. He says it. He means it.

Our son doesn't call himself a mutt. He doesn't say he is of the decent of another country. Ask him where he comes from, and the answer is "Howard, Pennsylvania." He is a United States American. Our son is not a mutt. He is a purebred.

Both, my family, and my wifes family have "been here" for several generations. Both our families have had members fight and die in this countries armed forces. I myself was a United States Marine.

And our little seven year old son is teaching us about how to be true Americans.

I dearly hope that there are other families, just like ours. I hope there are other purebred Americans.

I hope the rest of us can learn from them.

Kyle is nine now, as of yesterday. He is still a purebred. Mars and I are still learning from him.

Maybe you can help teach your parents.

WOW that helped a lot, and may God bless you beautiful family also a BIGG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your son. :iwo:

Tennessee Top
04-01-11, 10:58 PM

Good luck to you.

Hey Tenn Top that is the way people talk today with all that texting going on. Probably us old people from N.C. and Tenn. are the only one that use a D on their AND. In a few years we will have to go back and start over again in the first grade.

Maybe young people talk differently today as a result of texting or whatever. BUT, the English dictionary still spells the word and with a d. So, they can elect to spell correctly or not but they look a lot more intelligent when they do it the way it's supposed to be done and not in accordance with popular culture. Kids today smoke a lot of weed too but that doesn't mean the USMC tolerates it. Just because everyone else is doing it has never been a valid excuse for anything. One of the Marine Corps leadership traits is integrity which means doing the right thing when nobody is watching or when it's not the popular thing to do. The sooner wannabe's learn about and embrace the concept of integrity the better off they'll be...just my opinion.

I do see that RayisaT has corrected herself which is good to see. She took the constructive criticsm in the manner in which it was intended and I appreciate her for not having an attitude or being disrespectful as I did not intend to be disrespectful toward her. Thank you RayisaT.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-01-11, 11:05 PM
Good thread.

rufus1
04-02-11, 01:06 AM
Wise and true words from a true Master Sgt. I couldn't agree more with your comments about kids today and RayisaT. Furthermore I believe that the Marine Corps has a good subject to mold a one of the few from. They will build her from the ground up and implant the pride and virtue that will remain with her for a lifetime as most Marines carry with them in their day to day lives.