PDA

View Full Version : Infantry PT

cody0011
03-30-11, 03:16 PM
I am having trouble with the search button so I am sorry for posting this if it is already a thread
So in Marine Corps Infantry what type of pt will I expect.
what exercises will I be doing on a regular basis?
How long will the runs be?
is it a circuit workout and or full body or split muscle groups?

SlingerDun
03-30-11, 04:31 PM
We ran a few miles most every morning when not in the field. Started with routine warm up calisthenics/stretching, finished with pull ups and sit ups, or wind sprints, hill climb or straight to the showers after the run.
At sea it was calisthenics/stretch and run laps on the flight deck or hangar bay most every morning when not on duty, run stairs (ladders), pull ups wherever we could find a sturdy pipe, sometimes mats were rolled out for grappling - when space was available. If you really enjoyed PT, it was up to an individual to pursue extra.

chadhertz
03-31-11, 08:06 PM
Pretty much what slingerdun said. You will most likely join your unit right after they get back from a deployment. Which means there will pretty much be nothing but pt and classes scheduled for a couple months until you start going to the field for your work up again. That means a lot of pt, especially when theres not a whole lot going on. When I first got to my battalion we were doing two a days. Anything from 3-6 mile ridge runs, crossfit, sprints, stretching, lots of pool pt also, flak runs, buddy carries, **** like that..

brian0351
04-02-11, 03:20 AM
It also depends on your CO/Platoon CMDR.

You will know as soon as you see them. If he's cut like a Greek god...prepare to run...ALOT.

Early on in my enlistment I had a CO who hated running so our Company runs would hardly go farther than 3 miles. The guy after that was a PT stud. With him we used to have a 6-8 mile run every Tuesday...with a 8-12 mile hump on Thursdays.

03Mike
04-02-11, 11:00 AM
It also depends on your CO/Platoon CMDR.

That's right on the money. I was the type of CO who believed that PT wasn't only done in shorts and go-fasters. We ran a lot of boot & ute PT, a lot of PT with packs & rifles, PT in the field -- in addition to PT in shorts and go-fasters. And when we could, a lot of competitive PT / "sports"

The lesson here is, in a good infantry unit, you'll PT a lot and train a lot. You have to be in good shape to be a grunt.