PDA

View Full Version : Decision Point

DrinkTwiceT1000
03-30-11, 01:12 PM
Marines, I am coming to a decision point and would like some advice.

I am currently set to ship to Parris Island on May 2, but a lot has changed since I entered the DEP in November. Since then I have enrolled in 25 credits in order to finish a degree which could be completed by May 21st. I have been attempting to push my ship date back to September in order to be able to do both. However, I have not heard of any change in my ship date. The issue is apparently coming from my job choice (Electronics Maintenance), but have not received a more informative reason other than there is a problem with my job. I also am not in the best shape so I am not eligible for OCS yet.

My question to you is what is the best option.

I can take my chances and wait to see what happens with my ship date. I would attempt to finish the credits in 30 days before I leave and still gain the degree. My concern with this is that I will not be able to put much time into getting into shape and will make recruit training harder.

I can also leave the DEP, finish the degree and risk not getting into OCS. This is my least favorite option as I have wanted to be a Marine for years.

If you have another option I would like to hear it. I am trying to be proactive and deal with the issue while I have time.

Thank you,
Poolee Rexer

iamspartacus
03-30-11, 01:48 PM
Why don't you '86 these classes, go to boot camp when they tell you to, and finish these classes once you're at your first duty station? You know the Marine Corps will pay for them right?

Lisa 23
03-30-11, 02:22 PM
It will be 2 years on May 28th that my nephew graduated college and then left for boot camp on June 1st...and he managed to keep himself in shape.
Just remember that it's not always easy to get back into the DEP once you leave.

GunRock0811
03-30-11, 02:30 PM
You need to worry about your IST. You're getting pretty close to shipping and barely meeting the minimum requirements. I agree with iamspartacus.

DrinkTwiceT1000
03-30-11, 08:04 PM
Why don't you '86 these classes, go to boot camp when they tell you to, and finish these classes once you're at your first duty station? You know the Marine Corps will pay for them right?

The issue with completely dropping some of the courses is that they are capstone courses that must be taken at my university. Even if I transfer some the courses I have already taken to a college near my duty station, I would still need a lot more courses to graduation in addition to their capstone when it is already almost complete here.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-30-11, 08:20 PM
The issue with completely dropping some of the courses is that they are capstone courses that must be taken at my university. Even if I transfer some the courses I have already taken to a college near my duty station, I would still need a lot more courses to graduation in addition to their capstone when it is already almost complete here.

I dont care what anyone says. FINISH THAT DARN DEGREE BEFORE SHIPPING!!!! If you have to drop out of the DEP, oh well... The degree comes first. If your recruiter is too blind to see that, something is wrong. The Commanding Officer of the recruiting district would say the same thing I am saying, I would bet. I REPEAT: FINISH THE DEGREE KID!