PDA

View Full Version : drinking question

Sadeghian
03-30-11, 03:26 AM
Ok, before you start chewing me out just please finish this question... For my 19th birthday my brother wants to take me to Canada where I would legally be able to go to clubs and buy alcohol. My question is, would this be legal in the Marine Corps, like say if the Corps found out... This is my last birthday as a civilian (hopefully) and so my brother wants to take me out to have some fun.

I don't ever do anything illegal or stupid because I don't want to get in trouble and mess this up, which is pretty much why I'm here now, there are Marines that probably know the laws regarding this.

So is it go to go for me to go to Canada and drink with my brother or should I tell him that it's something I can't do?

If you could let me know, I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm kind of scared to ask my recruiter because he might take it the wrong way.

USNAviator
03-30-11, 11:22 AM
It depends on what the legal drinking age in the place you're GOING to, not where you're from, doesn't it?
If it's legal to drink in Canada at age 19, then it's legal.
As long as things don't get out of hand, which they probably won't, I don't see it as any big deal.
It's the same as anything else-----Moderation is the key.
I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and get blind drunk, I am saying that if you are of legal age where you will be imbibing, then where is the violation?

If it's NOT legal to drink at your age where you're going, that is an entirely different matter, naturally. And would be avoided, at all costs, as it will only screw up your enlistment, should there be some incident connected with this trip you would be taking.
But if it is legal there, then you are of age.

While I agree with most of what Dave says, my question is why risk it? Technically you would be legal I guess, you're a citizen of the US, residing in the US and will soon start on the road to earning the EGA

I'm not going to chew you out and I'm sure your brother has the best intentions but do you see yourself seriously nursing one or two drinks for the whole night, I think not. Also, you have no control of the others who are with you, they might do something stupid or illegal and you'd be guilty by association. Again why risk it?

Think of your ultimate goal, think of the word honor and what it means. Don't start spitting hairs with being honorable, doing the right thing is usually the most difficult choice. The fact that you came on here to ask such a question means you have your own reservations but ultimately the final decision is yours

Good luck to you

Lisa 23
03-30-11, 11:38 AM
If you & your brother plan on staying the night in Canada, you will be legal. Remember to be smart and responsible for all of your actions while drinking. If you & your brother don't plan on staying the night, you may want to keep in mind, that you will be traveling back to the US, which will make you illegal.
Is it really worth getting into trouble over?

As of 2011 there are a few Providences where you can legally drink if you are 18 years old.
Quebec
Alberta
Manitoba
As you can see in most places the legal drinking age is 19 but if you are 18 and you are planning a trip to Canada in 2011 visit the Providences that I just mentioned where you will be able to drink and have lots of fun, just remember if you are planning to go to a bar bring your ID from your home country.

http://visittocanada.info/2011/03/canada-drinking-age-in-2011/

USNAviator
03-30-11, 11:49 AM
If you & your brother plan on staying the night in Canada, you will be legal. Remember to be smart and responsible for all of your actions while drinking. If you & your brother don't plan on staying the night, you may want to keep in mind, that you will be traveling back to the US, which will make you illegal.
Is it really worth getting into trouble over?

Great info Lisa, I would have thought it would have been legal all over Canada but I was wrong. BTW Labats make a very strong premium beer, much stronger than what we can buy here in the States. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned that.........;)

awbrown1462
03-30-11, 12:10 PM
also make sure who ever is driving home does NOT drink at all

BauerBrat
03-30-11, 12:40 PM
Son don't do it. If something happens, even if it's not your fault and you're charged it still goes on your record. It may later go away but you'll have to show up at your recruiter's office,...

baby gorilla
03-30-11, 07:16 PM
Go for it, stay the night in Canada, don't get stupid, don't drive drunk and have fun with your brother.

Old Marine
03-30-11, 07:57 PM
All you have to do is wait 2 more yeas and you wil be 21 and legal no matter where you are. Then you will have the rest or your life to drink as much as you like.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-30-11, 08:13 PM
Stay the night at a hotel in Canada. Dont drive nor allow anyone who has had even one drink to drive. Dont get stupid. Have someone to stay sober to keep an eye on you. It is legal in Canada. So you are not breaking any laws. If you do dope, well then thats another story..... your screwed.

Sadeghian
03-30-11, 09:07 PM
No none of that stupid **** like dope, if we do go, we will probably get a cab or one of his friends to be a designated driver and we would definitely spend the night.

Tennessee Top
03-31-11, 12:22 AM
Go for it.

You know the consequences if you screw up. Will be a test of your self-dicipline and character.

Let us know how it works out.

Sadeghian
03-31-11, 01:47 AM
Aye aye sir...

Sadeghian
03-31-11, 12:23 PM
lol I was about to say OH HELL NO then i saw the post after that with the needed lol

Sadeghian
03-31-11, 02:55 PM
hahahahahaha