PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active, Renew contract 4years.

irpwns
03-29-11, 01:30 PM
I understand that it is very hard to switch from Reserves to Active duty.

What I was wondering, can you serve 4 years as a Reservist and then renew your contract towards Active Duty side?
Or would you need to wait until the 8years is up?

Also if anyone knows, would it be easier for an Officer on Reserve side to switch over to Active, or would it be just as hard?

irpwns
03-31-11, 03:45 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ive asked my recruiter, but he cant say for certain. Just hoping a Marine here can give me some better insight.

Blutic
04-01-11, 04:21 PM
If you go into the reserves it will be extremely difficult to go active duty because the Corps is shrinking size right now. The active Corps would much rather have a new recruit than anyone prior service / reservist unless it's a critical MOS.

For officers, last year the Corps only took lawyers from the reserves to active duty. This year its not taking any officers back on active duty or from the reserves. Next year - who knows. Officers must go through a "return to active duty" board that meets once a year, if at all.

irpwns
04-01-11, 09:09 PM
What would you say is a critical mos? As of right now, I am only allowed to earn Reservist. (Drug waiver)

I really want Active, and I would take anything to better my chances on one day earning Active duty. (Potentially want the chance to earn Air Officer Pilot)

Blutic
04-01-11, 09:30 PM
The critical mos list is always changing. Recruiters can tell which ones are in demand now and they usually have a bonus for enlisting with one of those MOSs. They are usually not combat arms MOSs. MOSs like bulk fuels, linguist, and other jobs that take alot of training are often listed as critical. Officer MOSs are rarely considered critical. Right now you could say lawyers are sort of critical.

BTW I've never heard of someone only being allowed to go reserves with a drug waiver. As far as I know, you are either qualified or not for enlistment. I'd check into that again. If that is true, your only chance of being a Marine is going reserves. Enlist and take your chances going active.

Don't put too much faith in what one person tells you. I've had high ranking Marines tell me various things are not possible and found out later they were completely wrong. You can do you own investigation online now. Go to Marines.mil, Marines section and search Maradmins and MCO (Marine Corps Orders). You can learn a lot by reading all the maradmins.

irpwns
04-01-11, 09:45 PM
My recruiter told me that it got denied by his CO and the reason for that is because my drug waiver was caused by a nolle prosequi possession charge. If I go to a different recruiting station, do I...

Blutic
04-01-11, 09:45 PM
If you get into the reserves, you might be able to go Active Reserve. Here is the link for officers
https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page/portal/M_RA_HOME/RA/RAM/RA_RAM_RAM1_OFFICER_ASSIGNMENTS/RA_RAM_RAM1_OFFICER%20CAREER_PATH

There's been some discussion on this board about active reserve and opinions differ. I have several Active Reserve Marines in my command and promotion rates seem quite slower than normal active duty.

In case you didn't know: active reserve is like active duty only you are a reserve Marine. Same pay, benefits, same work schedule, etc. but you support reservists and are usually in a remote region and not near a Marine Corps base.

Blutic
04-01-11, 09:47 PM
I can't answer that but you can try. Just don't lie - that will DQ you forever if you get caught.

irpwns
04-01-11, 09:53 PM
Yes Sir, Thank you for the help. Its much appreciated!

Browny35
04-02-11, 12:51 PM
From my own experiences of trying to go active (being a reservist) It's all about communication. If you go through your actual reserve unit trying to go active than your not going to be going anywhere for a long time.

I had the best luck actually finding a Active duty unit and directly talking to them. I had a friend that was in the Unit use his chain of command and speak to a Career Planner about it as well. It can be done, it is just a long and very difficult process. Like the Captain said, it's all about finding a Unit that needs your MOS.