PDA

View Full Version : Dual Citizenship

benFG
03-29-11, 09:40 AM
Hello Marines, I just had a quick question to ask about dual citizenships. Do they stop you from recieving a TS clearance? I was born and raised in Canada but have my born abroad US citizenship and my US passport. Any answers are much appreciated.

GunRock0811
03-29-11, 11:28 AM
I had a guy in my platoon that had a dual citizenship. His was with Mexico though (not sure if that makes a difference). Anyway, he was not able to have an MOS that required a clearance. Your best bet would be to get more information from a recruiter though.

benFG
03-29-11, 01:34 PM
thanks for the reply, the reason I ask is because my recruiter was not sure because Canada and the US work together in a lot of areas.

Any Canadian dual citizen Marines out there?

AlohaMarine
03-31-11, 12:28 AM
No. You will not be able to get a secret, let alone top secret clearance as a dual citizen.

Let me put the caveat in there that it IS possible to get a secret clearance (I have seen it done on one occasion) but that is only because the Marine was a Master Sergeant, had over 22 years in the Corps, and owned land in his home country and would have to give it up if he wasn't a citizen anymore.

You, being Canadian will not make it easier, it will make it harder

dizark
03-31-11, 12:32 AM
Not sure how this works, but at the age of 18, I was told I had dual citizenship. I had to pick either my place of birth, or the US. My father is retired Navy, thus the dual citizenship. Anyways, I received a secret clearance, even though I was born outside the US. Not sure how your situation may differ.