PDA

View Full Version : Obstacle/Confidence Courses

Valdyr
03-28-11, 11:47 AM
Hey there Marines, I was just wondering if I could get some insight on the obstacle and confidence courses that one faces in boot camp. I am planning on enlisting soon, and I am in really good shape, but I'm not very acrobatic, and I've never climbed a rope before. Any advice on what I can do to prepare before boot camp?

Zulu 36
03-28-11, 12:45 PM
Hey there Marines, I was just wondering if I could get some insight on the obstacle and confidence courses that one faces in boot camp. I am planning on enlisting soon, and I am in really good shape, but I'm not very acrobatic, and I've never climbed a rope before. Any advice on what I can do to prepare before boot camp?

There are web sites available that will give you all of this information. Just Google.

Also, if you are in good shape, but have never climbed a rope - now is the time to start learning. There are a few tricks to doing it the easier way, such as using your legs to do much of the work. True, some apes can climb a rope with their arms only (in fact a DI may even demonstrate that), but most of us mere humans need a little help from the legs. Get a recruiter to coach you in the proper way.

The obstacle/confidence courses are no big deal if you are in shape. Each obstacle has a little trick to getting over or around it, but that comes with practice.

I understand that they don't run the obstacle course as often as we did in my day. I recall doing it two or three times each week. Yes, rope climbing was my bugaboo until I got the leg trick down.

Valdyr
03-28-11, 02:47 PM
Thank you for your help Sergeant, it's much appreciated. I'll talk to my recruiter about it.

TheReservist
03-28-11, 09:24 PM
To prepare for the confidence course well just have some confidence in yourself. While a couple of the obstacles are somewhat physically strenous, generally they are just mind ****s. Meaning that instead of crossing a rope bridge 2 feet off the ground, you'll do it at 20 feet.

Valdyr
03-29-11, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for your help. And Dave2571, your humor does not go unappreciated :P. I must admit that I don't know much about the old school Marine Corps, but I've heard some about it. Back in the days when DI's could kick your ass haha

Valdyr
03-29-11, 10:35 AM
What happens if you fail the Obstacle or Confidence courses? Of course, I don't plan on failing, and I don't think I will, but I'm just curious about the importance of these events compared to the others in boot camp.

Tennessee Top
03-29-11, 03:54 PM
One thing everyone learns in bootcamp...you are capable of doing a lot more than you ever imagined. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have a rabid bulldog on your heels (wearing a smokey bear cover); in my day, they put their spit-shined boots up our butts all day long.

It's natural to feel apprehensive about the obstacles but just do what you're told to the best of your ability every day and you'll make it through just like the rest of us did.

AlohaMarine
03-31-11, 12:30 AM
Do females climb ropes? Just wondering if that is one more thing I can add to my list that they don't do...

dizark
03-31-11, 12:36 AM
I don't think you can fail the courses. I know if you can't do an obstacle on the obstacle course, after numerous attempts, and the DI screaming at you, they eventually tell you to go around to the next one. On the Confidence course, it's the same way. On the slide for life, your DI (mine was the SDI), will shake the rope and wobble it around, trying to make you call into the water. It's not too funny at the time while you're doing it, but it's funny when you look back at it, especially if you got shook off like me. :P

Oh and if you can't climb the rope, you keep trying and trying, but when the time is over for the course, you will be destroyed on the quarter deck. Also remember, if you use your legs, you will not use as much upper body strength making it a bit easier.

Females can climb ropes if they choose, but I remember at boot camp you had the ropes for the A-Frame, and then on the side was a cargo net to climb. All the DI's said that was for the females and they'd better not see us using it, lol.