PDA

View Full Version : Communication/Electrician Bonus $4,000 Contract (HK), please help.

PooleeGewarges2
03-25-11, 10:49 PM
Hello Marines,

I have searched the internet and recently, this board, in trying to find as much information as I can find on this contract. I couldn't find the information that I needed, so I was hoping that I could ask my question(s) on here. Yesterday, I received my Contract at my recruiting station. On the Contract it read, "Category HK Communication/Electrician Bonus $4,000". At the right it had two MOS options, which were 0600-communications and 1100-Utilities. I am aware that this means that if I sign this contract, the Marine Corps can put me in either 0600 or 1100 depending on the needs of the Corps and other qualifications. I am qualified, except I found out I have abnormal color perception/vision, which shocked me. I am pretty sure that most of the jobs in these fields require normal eye color vision/perception, but not all. Here are the questions that I want to ask the Marines on this board, and if there are any Marines that had this type of Contract, I would greatly appreciate hearing from them.

1: I have done some searching and it seems that this type of contract used to be DB, but on my paper it was HK. Did they change the codes or is this a whole different contract from DB?

2: I have no problem going into 0600 Communications, but I am not sure about 1100 Utilities, because I searched for the jobs in that MOS and 1171 Water support Technician and 1161 refrigeration technician were the once that I found least appealing. I understand that these are important jobs, but I cannot help but think that I will regret signing this contract and receiving either of these two jobs. in the other hand, getting 1141(electrician), or 1142(Electrical Systems Technician) will be great to get.

My question is, since my contract says, "Communications/Electrician HK", does that mean that if the Marine Corps picks 1100 as my PMOS, that they will only pick either 1141 or 1142, since those are Electrician jobs, than the other 1100 jobs?

3: I went to About.com to learn everything about the 0600 MOS and the 1100 MOS, and I have come to conclusion that a lot of these jobs, as I said before, require Normal eye Color vision/perception. Since I have abnormal color vision, I am confused on why I got this contract. I found that all of the 1100 jobs require normal eye color vision, but for 0600, the radio field operator and two other jobs do not require normal eye color. Does this mean that I will be getting these jobs since I am qualified for them?

Couple of weeks ago I submitted my MOS wishlist, which consisted of 0200 Intelligence, 0300 Infantry, and 1300 Engineer(recruiter said I had to change aviation support to something else due to the abnormal eye color vision so I picked Construction). these fields were closed and so I got this HK contract. I think I would really enjoy 0600 alot, but not so much the 1100 MOS.

I hope my post was not too long. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you:flag:

USNAviator
03-26-11, 06:33 AM
I just came upon this site

http://www.futurejarheads.org/

It might be old news to some of you. Look under jobs, click that then scroll down to the bottom and find job descriptions. It's a PDF fife and quite long but it's the MOS manual.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

PooleeGewarges2
03-26-11, 09:19 AM
I have been on that site before and I love it. thank you for the link, Sir, and don't be sorry. I remember opening that pdf file sometime ago and reading all the jobs and qualifications. It was very similar to about.com, which I hope is an updated site. :flag:

Devil1087
03-26-11, 02:19 PM
What the hell... don't think you're supposed to rock a DB if you don't have color vision. Might be getting f*cked.

dizark
03-31-11, 12:50 AM
When I signed up at the end of 2008, I signed a contract for Command and Control Electrician. In this option was a 10k bonus, and either a MOS in the 06XX field or 11xx field. I took my chances and per the needs of the Corps, they made me a radio operator. I too was worried about the water support job as it didn't seem appealing to me, but figured I'd give it a shot and wait to see what happens.

afraziaaaa
03-31-11, 03:41 PM
Hello Marines,

I have searched the internet and recently, this board, in trying to find as much information as I can find on this contract. I couldn't find the information that I needed, so I was hoping that I could ask my question(s) on here. Yesterday, I received my Contract at my recruiting station. On the Contract it read, "Category HK Communication/Electrician Bonus $4,000". At the right it had two MOS options, which were 0600-communications and 1100-Utilities. I am aware that this means that if I sign this contract, the Marine Corps can put me in either 0600 or 1100 depending on the needs of the Corps and other qualifications. I am qualified, except I found out I have abnormal color perception/vision, which shocked me. I am pretty sure that most of the jobs in these fields require normal eye color vision/perception, but not all. Here are the questions that I want to ask the Marines on this board, and if there are any Marines that had this type of Contract, I would greatly appreciate hearing from them.

1: I have done some searching and it seems that this type of contract used to be DB, but on my paper it was HK. Did they change the codes or is this a whole different contract from DB?

2: I have no problem going into 0600 Communications, but I am not sure about 1100 Utilities, because I searched for the jobs in that MOS and 1171 Water support Technician and 1161 refrigeration technician were the once that I found least appealing. I understand that these are important jobs, but I cannot help but think that I will regret signing this contract and receiving either of these two jobs. in the other hand, getting 1141(electrician), or 1142(Electrical Systems Technician) will be great to get.

My question is, since my contract says, "Communications/Electrician HK", does that mean that if the Marine Corps picks 1100 as my PMOS, that they will only pick either 1141 or 1142, since those are Electrician jobs, than the other 1100 jobs?

3: I went to About.com to learn everything about the 0600 MOS and the 1100 MOS, and I have come to conclusion that a lot of these jobs, as I said before, require Normal eye Color vision/perception. Since I have abnormal color vision, I am confused on why I got this contract. I found that all of the 1100 jobs require normal eye color vision, but for 0600, the radio field operator and two other jobs do not require normal eye color. Does this mean that I will be getting these jobs since I am qualified for them?

Couple of weeks ago I submitted my MOS wishlist, which consisted of 0200 Intelligence, 0300 Infantry, and 1300 Engineer(recruiter said I had to change aviation support to something else due to the abnormal eye color vision so I picked Construction). these fields were closed and so I got this HK contract. I think I would really enjoy 0600 alot, but not so much the 1100 MOS.

I hope my post was not too long. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thank you:flag:

1. HK is DB with a bonus. They are two seperate codes. The only difference is the monetary incentive. Your recruiter must think highly of you.

2. Correct. Only 1141 and 1142 are included in your enlistment program.

3. I looked your information up in the Marine Corps recruiting processing system. You passed the color vision test at MEPS. You are fully qualified for this program. Sounds to me like none of the programs you wanted were available, so your recruiter still tried to hook you up with something hands on, and that gave you a bonus. You are a lucky guy.

-Seems that you have a large misunderstanding about your color vision. MEPS says you passed, yet you say you are colorblind...why do you say that?

I work with a Marine who is an 1141. He loves it. Go in with an open mind. Plus you are getting a bonus!

PooleeGewarges2
03-31-11, 09:06 PM
Hello Afraziaaa, <br />
<br />
1: Thank you for clearing that up for me:) <br />
2: That does make sense, and thank you. Thats actually good to hear. <br />
<br />
3: Oh my this surprised me. I thank you for taking the time to...

afraziaaaa
04-01-11, 08:25 AM
Ensure you get the color perception thing straightened out ASAP. If there is a confusion and you actually are color blind, and you ship to recruit training on this contract then they will find it at MCRD and you will be reclassified into a random MOS and you will lose your bonus.