PDA

View Full Version : Questions and Doubts Regarding Potential Marine Service

axgosser
03-25-11, 03:17 PM
During the fall of 2010 I talked with a Marine Recruiter in regards to Officer Candidates School. I, for the first time in my life, began examining military service as a viable option for when I graduate. There are a couple reasons why the Marine Program has caught my interest. First the Marine’s gives you a foundation for which you can build the rest of your life. The major appeal is the Marine’s program provides a stable job while giving you opportunities to pursue higher education. Secondly the Marine’s also bolster a sense of community. This is also extremely important to me.

Despite the possible benefits, I do have some concerns.

My concerns are twofold: parents and my own beliefs. When I brought up the concept of going to Officer Candidates School to my parents they where less than ecstatic. Although I understand that in the end such a decision is my own, I wouldn’t be a good marine candidate if I ignored their fears completely. The fact of the matter is I come from an extremely close-knit family and if something where to happen me, it would have a detrimental affect on my entire family. I have to decide whether that risk is worth taking. Additionally I wouldn’t consider myself a very patriotic person. I do not believe in the concept of “dying for one’s country”. The only time you should take a bullet, in my opinion, is when it saves the person standing next to you. That being said, I’m not sure if I should even be in any form of military service at all with that philosophy.

In the end, is there any easy way to tell if the Marine’s are right for you?
Also, I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. At the moment the search feature of the website is currently not functioning for me. When it asks for the confirmation digits, none are displayed.

USNAviator
03-25-11, 03:39 PM
Joining any branch of the military is not an easy decision. I joined because I wanted to fly first and to serve secondly. I had no idea I'd serve for 20 years but I have to admit it was the right fit for me

IMO the Corps is the best. It's more of a brotherhood than any other branch. You belong to a fraternity? So you can grasp some sense of what a brotherhood entails

My advice is to go back and talk to an OSO, get as much infomation as you can can. The same way you did when you finally decided which university to attend. But don't over think it or you'll find yourself forever in a chasm of doubt.

Ultimately the final decision is yours. Not your families, not your friends opinions and not anyone on here or any other military website

Welcome to the world of tough adult choices.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-25-11, 03:44 PM
Additionally I wouldn’t consider myself a very patriotic person. I do not believe in the concept of “dying for one’s country”. The only time you should take a bullet, in my opinion, is when it saves the person standing next to you. That being said, I’m not sure if I should even be in any form of military service at all with that philosophy.

To quote Gen George S Patton: "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

If you consider yourself to not be patriotic, then you are considering going into the wrong business.

axgosser
03-25-11, 04:04 PM
To quote Gen George S Patton: "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

I agree with this quotation fully.

iamspartacus
03-25-11, 04:15 PM
Perhaps you should consider other branches. The Marine Corps has a distinctly different mindset than any other branch of the military. The reasons you stated for wanting to join the Marine Corps are not exclusive to the Marine Corps. They are a part of it, yes, but they are also found in the Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard. The Marine Corps isn’t just a job. To quote the great Dan Daley, “Come on you sons of *****es! Do you want to live forever?” If that doesn’t strike a chord somewhere in you, then maybe the Marine Corps isn’t for you. What sets the Marines a part from everyone else is their pursuit of excellence and higher calling to honor, courage and commitment.

When you say you don’t believe in the concept of “dying for one’s country”, what do you mean by that? If that means you’re not willing to die for your country, then I would say you probably shouldn’t consider any branches of the military.

Devil1087
03-25-11, 05:42 PM
I'm not very patriotic... or at least in the traditional sense. Being a Marine is good enough for me.

Covey_Rider
03-25-11, 05:43 PM
@Spartacus. I think that he touches on an interesting point in regards to sacrificing your own life for your country. I personally feel that most Marines join with the desire to serve and to go to war. However once you are overseas, nobody wants to die for their country. Instead they would gladly sacrifice their own life so that the Marine next to him gets to keep his. He stated that he would take a bullet for the man next to him and I just think that he has a better outlook on what it's truly about. If we were getting into firefights and getting hit by IED's on a daily basis here in the U.S. then yes, I would say that we are all willing to die for our country.

@Axgosser. You're 22 years old and it's time that you start making decisions for yourself. I understand that family input is important, however I don't think that at your age it should be 1 of 2 things that is really keeping you from something that you want to do. You need to take a look at everything and decide whether or not your heart is in it. If it's not, then you will be miserable for your entire time in the Marine Corps. It sounds to me like you're now looking at how crappy the job market is and that college degrees have a horrible return rate. Now all of the sudden the military has become an option because it's a paycheck.

axgosser
03-25-11, 06:33 PM
@Cover_Rider

Although it is true that the dismal outlook of the job market makes military service look more appealing, I must confess for the longest time that actually acted as a deterrent. When I was younger I thought the armed services was for people who were either extremely patriotic, didn't want to go to college, or people who simply wanted a paycheck to help pay for necessities.

Although I know that bias is not true, I held on to that assumption for most of my life. When I talked to the Marine Recruiter, I began to reanalyze my own opinions regarding Military Service.

I believe the main aspect that changed my precognitions was the recruiter's mentality. I began seeing the military service as not just a "job" but a life choice.

Also, I know I mentioned that one of the reasons for considering the Marines was it "was a job" but what I truly meant was a career path that would influence my entire life. That is the appealing part of the "job".

Also you don't join the Marine's simply because it's a job. You join the Marine's to become a Marine. That is also appealing to me.

@Spartacus
When I say I have no desire to "die for my country" I mean simply that. I have no wish to go out of my way to die for my country. Now I am "willing to die for my country". Yet I am also "willing to risk getting into a car accident" every time I get into a car.

axgosser
03-25-11, 06:51 PM
I also wanted to thank everyone who has responded thus-far. It has given me a lot to think about.

Phantom Blooper
03-25-11, 07:27 PM
Fear is temporary........... Regret is forever.

Choose!

Sgt Leprechaun
03-29-11, 01:07 AM
Hmmm....well, no one enlists with the intention of getting killed. Those who do...well, aren't quite right in the head LOL.

Having doubts is normal.

But....as the 'Blooper said, above, CHOOSE, and go from there. No kidding...it is just that simple.