PDA

View Full Version : Questions about re-signing

Jdh2683
03-23-11, 08:21 AM
Hey, my name is John and I'm joining the military later this year.
My mind is set on the marine corps, but some marines I've spoken with have given me a few decent questions.

I wanted to ask marines and not my recruiter about re-upping.
If I sign as an Infantryman what are the requirements to re sign as an Infantryman?
I hear you have to make a certain rank before they will consider you. And what about re-signing with another mos?
If after serving as infantry I decide I want a career in the marine corps and decide to go for a mechanical/technical mos,
would i be considered just like a new recruit or would they prefer new recruits instead of one having served already?

Any reply is appreciated, thanks.

-John

Marine1011
03-23-11, 08:45 AM
typing ain't texting, Marine Corps and Marines always capitalized. Folks will raise cain with you about that.

SGT7477
03-23-11, 09:14 AM
Re-upping now how does that work when you haven't served in the first place? Marine, Marines, Marine Corps will always be capitialized on OUR site, Semper Fidelis.

iamspartacus
03-23-11, 11:28 AM
Are you talking about reenlisting? First you have to make it through your first enlistment. That the most important thing to be considered for reenlistment. After your first contract is up you have to compete for what’s called boat spaces. Every year the Marine Corps says they only want a certain number of Marines in any given MOS to reenlist. Say for instance out of all the first term infantrymen the Marine Corps only wants to let 200 of them reenlist. Those boat spaces are first come, first serve to all who are eligible. Around the beginning of the physical year every first term infantrymen becomes eligible to reenlist. If you know you want to get one of those boat spaces you’ll have to go into the career planner’s office on the first day you’re eligible to reenlist to give yourself the best shot at getting a boat space. If you wait a few weeks or a few months, all those boat spaces might be filled up and you’ll be SOL. Then you’ll either have to get out or lat move to another MOS. After you reenlist one time you then are considered a career Marine and will not have to fight for boat spaces after that. Lat moving, again, is dependent on what jobs need people. You may want to lat move to be a mechanic, but they might not need any more people. In that case you wouldn’t be able to lat move to them. If you lat move, you’ll just start again at the bottom of the talent pool. You may be a Corporal or a Sergeant, but you’ll be going back to your MOS school and competing with Privates and PFCs.

USNAviator
03-23-11, 11:40 AM
Hey, my name is John and I'm joining the military later this year.
My mind is set on the marine corps, but some marines I've spoken with have given me a few decent questions.

I wanted to ask marines and not my recruiter about re-upping.
If I sign as an Infantryman what are the requirements to re sign as an Infantryman?
I hear you have to make a certain rank before they will consider you. And what about re-signing with another mos?
If after serving as infantry I decide I want a career in the marine corps and decide to go for a mechanical/technical mos,
would i be considered just like a new recruit or would they prefer new recruits instead of one having served already?

Any reply is appreciated, thanks.

-John

John

You've heard the expression putting the cart before the horse? Well in your case you don't have a horse yet. Concentrate on getting into the Corps first, that's enough of a challenge. Who knows, you may not like it and want out after 4 years

One step at a time son

Now that being said I see you hail from my neck of the woods. I know Amelia very well. Do you know either the Pleasants or Ashman families?. I doubt if there are any recruiters in Amelia, you'll most likely have to go into Chesterfield but a recruiter will be able to answer all you question

Good luck

Tennessee Top
03-23-11, 12:04 PM
You need to read the site rules (particularly the section for wannabe's like you).

Jdh2683
03-23-11, 01:18 PM
Thanks Sparticus, and USNAviator.
Yeah I have to get through the first enlistment yet, but I was just trying to get the facts out of people who've done it. A few of my buddies has told me that basically once I finish my first enlistment I'll have few choices to re-enlist. I heard some Marines join the Army afterward because the Marine Corp wouldn't take them back. I figured asking you guys would be better than my Recruiter, so thanks.

To your question, I believe Ashman sounds pretty familiar I cant be too certain though. I've lived here in Amelia all my life, my father's name is Wayne Hodges if that rings any bells.

USNAviator
03-23-11, 01:24 PM
Thanks Sparticus, and USNAviator.
Yeah I have to get through the first enlistment yet, but I was just trying to get the facts out of people who've done it. A few of my buddies has told me that basically once I finish my first enlistment I'll have few choices to re-enlist. I heard some Marines join the Army afterward because the Marine Corp wouldn't take them back. I figured asking you guys would be better than my Recruiter, so thanks.

To your question, I believe Ashman sounds pretty familiar I cant be too certain though. I've lived here in Amelia all my life, my father's name is Wayne Hodges if that rings any bells.

You're always better off going to a recruiter first. Any follow up questions can sometimes be answered here.

Sorry don't know your Dad. The Ashman's Dad's first name is Tyrone. Daughters went to Blessed Sacrament Huguenot. Probably a little older than you

Lisa 23
03-23-11, 01:40 PM
I heard some Marines join the Army afterward because the Marine Corp wouldn't take them back. I figured asking you guys would be better than my Recruiter, so thanks.

It's Marine Corps.....and Marines, not guys. I believe they've EARNED it.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-23-11, 11:42 PM
Worry about getting through MEPS without being DQ'd, and Recruit training, SOI, and your MOS school. Seriously. That's enough on your plate at the moment.

In 4 years, you'll be a completely different person than you are now...so making that sort of long range planning is just spitballing at the moment.

Use your time more wisely on more important matters at hand.

Jdh2683
03-24-11, 06:28 AM
Sgt Leprechaun, I appreciate the response.

Basically learning about the Boat spaces answered my question, one Marine I know was telling me that they don't really consider infantry for second terms... That's why I came here, thanks again for the responses.
If I make it, I'll be sure to come back and let you guys know.

Thanks again,
-John

Lisa 23
03-24-11, 08:04 AM
If I make it, I'll be sure to come back and let you guys know.

Thanks again,
-John

As I previously posted......it's Marines, not guys.